Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my TT nearly 3 weeks now and I love it bar a few minor problems. It's a 2.0 fsi s tonic

The first is the engine doesn't seem as quite as I hoped on a 57 plate car. Seems as if it's a diesel at times... What can I do to combat this?

2nd is when I reverse it is very jerky? Is that normal"?

3rd is the window are letting in air at high speeds and I took it back to the dealer and they attempted to raise it but it still noisy?

4th is sometimes the car doesn't change gear and will let me accelerate up to 35-40 mph while still in 2nd gear and I have to change it manually?

Apart from those issues I love it. It's fast, it turns heads and best of all I'm getting 350+ miles a full tank.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The first point is just how the TFSi motors are. They use a high pressure fuel pump like the diesels and hence sound very similar.

The gearbox bits sound like classic s-tronic failures. Hopefully you have a comprehensive warranty because the only option is to replace the mechatronic unit, and in some cases, the whole gearbox.

The window issue should be resolvable by a competent dealer. Not all dealer technicians are competent, sadly.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I would certainly press them on the s-tronic issues if I was you as you don't want to be dealing with them out of warranty - believe me! :)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Yes by the sounds of it you definitely have a faulty STronic gearbox, as cars are hitting 4-5 years old these issues seem to be appearing with alarming frequency.

Jerking/juddering when manoeuvring slowly, fluctuating engine revs are classic symptoms; if the problem gets worse as the engine gets hot even more reason to suspect gearbox mechatronic failure. Just search the forum for mechatronic and you will uncover lots of discussion on the subject.

Re not changing gear - by chance do you occasionally change gear yourself manually (while leaving the selector in D)? If so the gearbox will stay in manual mode temporarily for a short while, not sure if its about 15 or 30 secs, but maybe this is what you are experiencing? I know it's caught me out before. If not then it must be another indication of mech failure :?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure it happened when I wasn't manually selecting the gears and I had to change it manually. I think it's happened twice or three times now. I'm worried about spending money on it now before I get it checked out.

Anyone know how much Audi charge to do a "health check" on the vehicle?

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
I had a 2.0 Tfsi for nearly 3 years and it never once sounded like a diesel in fact the engine was whisper quiet really and the exhaust had a nice addictive bark.

Sorry but I can't agree that a high pressure pump will make it sound like a diesel. It's the actual diesel pump and not the fuel pump that makes the noise when you're compressing the diesel to over 2000 bar. A fuel pump I imagine would be in the region of 3bar. Perhaps you ought to get that checked as well.

Good luck with everything and hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction with the minimum of effort.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
2.0T engines from the VAG group do sound a little like diesel's.
My Golf GTI was exactly the same.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
moro anis said:
I had a 2.0 Tfsi for nearly 3 years and it never once sounded like a diesel in fact the engine was whisper quiet really and the exhaust had a nice addictive bark.

Sorry but I can't agree that a high pressure pump will make it sound like a diesel. It's the actual diesel pump and not the fuel pump that makes the noise when you're compressing the diesel to over 2000 bar. A fuel pump I imagine would be in the region of 3bar. Perhaps you ought to get that checked as well.

Good luck with everything and hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction with the minimum of effort.
To put it simply, the TSi and TFSi work on a bit more than 3 bar of pressure. The fuel pump on the 2.0 runs something like 1600 PSi and the uprated ones run close to 2000 PSi. The TDi fuel pump runs about 10x that, at 20,000 PSi, but at idle, they both rattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts