Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got home tonight, car out of garage, up on jack....ready to get the front apex fitted, and hopefully to solve the rubbing on the back !

NO !

FFS looks like an oil leak...! (hopefully not)

Changed oil middle of last week....new filter, ECS drain plug, cleaned down etc etc etc.

Did this whilst front end was on ramps....and when removing filter obviously a fair bit of oil goes all over....and I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning down after these sort of jobs.

So tonight say a 1/4 pint of dirty oil on the garage floor...?

Now as it was on the ramps, i'm guessing (hoping) that there's a little ledge/shelf/pocket on the engine block just below the filter where the oil has accumulated on draining and its then dripped once i'd dropped the car level....though i did take it for about a 5 mile run after changing oil....

So i've wiped everywhere down i the hope i can see where its coming from in the morning....definitely not from the oil filter as it was clean all the way around, not from the dipstick, nor the drain plug, looks like from the sump seal, which is why i suspect a pocket of oil that accumulated!

Maybe i'll get the springs on tommorrow.... :? at least i now know i need a 21mm cranked ring spanner for the strut top nut.... :roll: And.....i've Wd'd all the suspension nuts etc in readiness for removal :?

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
oldguy said:
............... say a 1/4 pint of dirty oil on the garage floor...?

Now as it was on the ramps, i'm guessing (hoping) that there's a little ledge/shelf/pocket on the engine block just below the filter
Yes.

There is a ledge very close to the oil filter housing. Every time I change the oil I put a cut plastic bag around this area over the ledge and pack the area with paper. But I always then spend 10-20mins mopping the tiny amount that always seems to get through.

Also sorry to state the obvious but when you say 1/4 pint of oil, do you really mean about a tablespoon that goes f****ing every where and then seems more like 1/4pt when cleaning it up!!!

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Hope its not the sump seal, pesky little bastard that one............ :D

Probably residual oil from the filter change Graham.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
^^^ dont let him fix it for ya!!^^^

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
ades tt 180 said:
^^^ dont let him fix it for ya!!^^^
oldguy said:
I won't.....

Result = No oil this morning :)
I,m hurt, [smiley=bigcry.gif] best sump remover on the forum now, it WILL COME OFF, [smiley=smash.gif] GUARANTEED!!........... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.