Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

relatively new to all this so please forgive me if i'm asking silly questions!

my 225 is currently at the TTshop having some TLC, i'm thinking about having some spacers put in whilst she is there.

:?: aside from looking the dogs danglies IMO, are there any handling benefits etc? or anything i should look out for once installed?

any advice greatly apprciated!

*** i'm due to pick her up tomorrow so if anyone could confirm that may make my decsion easier!!***

cheers peeps!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
There are neither discernible benefits nor drawbacks really. Logically you might presume that the footprint of the car is optimized at the design stage and so messing about with it would detract from the handling, but of course with common floor-pans used for a variety of models it's always a compromise anyway. Some will argue that widening the track ought to help cornering (mainly on the basis that supercars tend to be wide!) but I think it's a rather complex business with many factors coming into play and it's not always that simple.

I noticed no change to the handling of the car when I fitted them.

There is also a suggestion that spacers can put extra strain on the axles but to date amongst the very many people on the forum who have them fitted (and also throw in all those guys with Golfs on the same floor-pan who have them) there's been nobody reporting any failures due to the spacers, so they seem perfectly safe.

So the conclusion is they are purely for aesthetics but do no harm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Widening the rear track and not the front will increase understeer. Widening the front and not the back will increase oversteer. Widening both equally should increase overall grip but there is more to it than that.

Thats the basic theory anyway.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts