Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had footwell lights installed in their TT that they would recommend, any pics would be much appreciated. Thnx all.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
What do you want to know?

I have retro-fitted the (front) footwell lights as well as the puddle and warning lights in the doors - all done as they would have been done from the factory.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
From MY10 onwards the CECM connections are different, they now look like:

I followed this thread (for a Passat)
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... -CC-MY2011

The pin you are looking to use for the positive feed for the lights is pin 50 in the centre (white) plug.
By doing it this way they will work as if they were fitted at the factory - so you have the option of them on whilst you are driving with the lights on, the brightness can also be dimmed through the DIS.

I used slightly different lights (still OE VAG) than what would of been fitted at the factory - because I had them, the only difference is the corners are slightly squarer and they use a different plug.

I used:

6L0 947 415 - Lights x2
1J0 971 972 Flat connector x2 (these fit into the lights)
000 979 131E Wire set x3

Cut the one wire set in half for the passenger side light (as the wire set's have the terminal on both ends) and lengthen the wires so it reaches the CECM.
The drivers side positive wire is long enough to run from the light to pin 50 on the CECM, cut the end off the negative wire and put a round terminal on bolted to the chassis.

I then simply put some eBay LED's into the lights, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-T10-501-19 ... 43ae93c01a

Mine are actually CANBUS LED's, because again I had them.

If you decide to use the TT boot lights instead of the above ones then you will need:

4B0 947 415A Lights x2 (same as the one in the boot / glovebox)
893 971 632 Connector x2 (these are a more square connector)
000 979 133E Wire set x2 (these have larger terminals than the ones I used)
000 979 131E Wire set x1 (the larger 000 979 133 wire sets terminal is too large for the CECM, so you still need one of these)

A very basic wiring diagram:

HTH

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
For the puddle and warning lights:

I have not done a walk through for this as there are several on the 'net for retro fitting puddle lights into an Audi, these are all pretty much the same for most Audi's, the bit that differs being where to power them from.

To retro fit the puddle lights & door open warning light (red light) using the OE power supplies from the door controllers you need to power the lights as follows:

Positive feed is pin No. 18
Negative feed is pin No.19 (the driver's side door already has an earth wire in pin 19, so splice into this)

Parts needed:
2x Puddle lights (4B0 947 415)
2x Door open warning lights (6Y0 947 411)
8x Repair wires (000 979 133E) £17.85
4x Plugs for lights £8.64
2x Repair wires for door controllers £4.46

Consumables used:
Solder
Flux
Heat shrink.
Wiring loom tape
2x small cable ties for the controller plugs.

Each repair wire has a terminal on each end, so you could get away with just 4x repair wires for the lights - BUT the cables would then have to be lengthened as well, for this reason I used 8 wires.

Repair wires:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hi Gizmo,

You the man - BTW did you know you were on TV last night? 8)

Anyway, I would love to be able to retro fit the footwell lights to my roadster as OEM.
However since mine is a 2007 I did read some where on a long thread that this is only possible on later cars.

Can you confirm this?

Cheers - and oh dont get wet! :roll:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
I have retro-fitted the (front) footwell lights as well as the puddle and warning lights in the doors - all done as they would have been done from the factory.
As I live in North America and this is not even an option can you please post pictures of the finished product so I can determine whether or not it is worth the effort...thanks...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
OK tey are not wonderful photo's, for some reason they look quite blue, but I can assure you they are pure white, the interior light are IMO probably a bit too bright, but IMO the footwell lights make a HUGE difference and are well worth doing as it brightens the the front up no end.

Do not forget though if you wire them to the CECM (as OE) you need them activating with VCDS,

Drivers side LED footwell:

Passenger side LED footwell:

Puddle light LED:

The warning light uses the OE w5w bulbs as a white LED would make the light quite pink, if you must use LED's in these ones then use red LED's.

LED fitted in the interior lights:

HTH

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the photos...I wish I were more handy with my car but alas I am not...I will therefore have to ask my Audi dealer next time it is in for service whether they can retrofit these...

Much thanks..

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Some dealers are very awkward when it comes to fitting extras. Reasons include problems later down the line once cars are sold and like-for-like parts are ordered and things are then either missing or different. Whilst I can understand that view, if someone wants something done then (a) they can make money from it and (b) It's got to be more interesting/challenging than just following a workshop manual over and over again, surely?

A lot extras are simply too time-consuming though. That comment doesn't refernece this thread.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I fitted these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220951377971
They did take a while to arrive though - just under 25 working days.

No CANBUS errors at all (but then they are CANBUS LED's :wink: ) not sure if the interior lights are CANBUS controlled or not? the ones in the doors probably are though.

But @ less than £1 per LED, IMO it really isn't worth not using CANBUS (error free) LED's.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I thought they were standard items in the RS Patrizio? You sure you dont have them?

Maybe im just going mad, but im sure they are, maybe it was MY11 change? My car has them and wasnt specced with them from what I can gather. Had them in both my RS's pretty cool wee feature tbh.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Havent had a chance to drive it much of late and its been in a workshop for mods for a while now so i cant check, i cant recall it having them but then again i have only driven it a couple of times at night :( maybe im losing my marbles mitchy...

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Patrizio72 said:
Havent had a chance to drive it much of late and its been in a workshop for mods for a while now so i cant check, i cant recall it having them but then again i have only driven it a couple of times at night :( maybe im losing my marbles mitchy...
Maybe its me mate, its just I have them and it wasnt specced with them on the spec sheet. Bizarre. Still an option on the configurator so I'm probably wrong and just landed lucky.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mitchy said:
Patrizio72 said:
Maybe its me mate, its just I have them and it wasnt specced with them on the spec sheet. Bizarre. Still an option on the configurator so I'm probably wrong and just landed lucky.
Yeah it could be a fluke, when i got my car there was no record to what it had spec wise so i was pleasantly suprised with some stuff i didnt know it had, will check the footwells when i get it back :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts