Audi TT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
vailance said:
i just figure it out by randomly guessing the Connector D and Connector B. Finally my car was on Pin 7 on Connector B somehow share the same as Audi A3 8P, most of the guys were talkin bout the Connector D pin9. but in my case, is wasnt.

So far it works fine including the control via DIS. One thing disappoint me is the FWLight did not operate same as my previous scirocco, which the light will turn on all the time (at night) and when the door is opened.
my car does not comes with any ambient light. is there a part number where it cames originally with LED lighting? i wish to retrofit these as well.
Maybe you have the wrong pin then?
certainly on a MY11 car they can stay on whenever you are driving (with the lights on) this option can be turned on and off in the DIS.

vailance said:
possible to DIY myself with some SMD light which is as bright as the OEM or maybe little brighter?
Yes it's a pretty straightforward DIY job If you can solder.

These photo's found here http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252775&start=15 will show you the locations of the OE SMD's:

What I did was to soldier an LED to a small PCB which was then hot glued into place over the top of where the OE SMD's are located (glue them to the white plastic and not the OE PCB!)

It was then simply a case of soldering a resistor to the LED (so they work with 12v) and then a pair of cables to splice into the OE loom going to pins No. 5 & 1.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
certainly on a MY11 car they can stay on whenever you are driving (with the lights on) this option can be turned on and off in the DIS.
Hi,
i have a MY08/09 TTS which i believe >MY2010 has diff socket.
I'm not sure why, i tried the suggested Pin9 on Connector D, the LED stays on all the time IRC. adjusting the brightness on the DIS(the only option i can do,assuming i vagcom it properly, enable "footwell light installed")

maybe someone can enlighten me :?:

Gizmo68 said:

These photo's found here http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252775&start=15 will show you the locations of the OE SMD's:

What I did was to soldier an LED to a small PCB which was then hot glued into place over the top of where the OE SMD's are located (glue them to the white plastic and not the OE PCB!)

It was then simply a case of soldering a resistor to the LED (so they work with 12v) and then a pair of cables to splice into the OE loom going to pins No. 5 & 1.
thanks will try that out and maybe get some LED of the bay to test out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
I fitted these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220951377971
They did take a while to arrive though - just under 25 working days.

No CANBUS errors at all (but then they are CANBUS LED's :wink: ) not sure if the interior lights are CANBUS controlled or not? the ones in the doors probably are though.

But @ less than £1 per LED, IMO it really isn't worth not using CANBUS (error free) LED's.
I got mine today and fitted. A 'little' on the blue side for my liking but nicer than the OE.
Did you do the vanity mirror lights?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
No they are the only ones I did not do as we don't tend to use them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I fitted some LED festoons in my vanity lights today
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290635011465? ... 1439.l2649
I chose these over SMDs as I thought the latter appeared slightly bluer which I don't like. However, these are also slightly bluish.
The cases are plastic instead of glass so sturdier.
The LEDs are only on one side of the bulb of course and I slightly rotated them so they face the metal reflector in the light to give a more even light.
Next the glovebox and boot...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
They do look identical in size to what I fitted and are OE.

I know there are 2 or 3 slightly different shaped lights (squarer corners or more rounded like in the boot of the TT) but the physical size of the light units are the same.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
m-a-r-k said:
Gizmo68 said:
I fitted these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220951377971
They did take a while to arrive though - just under 25 working days.

No CANBUS errors at all (but then they are CANBUS LED's :wink: ) not sure if the interior lights are CANBUS controlled or not? the ones in the doors probably are though.

But @ less than £1 per LED, IMO it really isn't worth not using CANBUS (error free) LED's.
I got mine today and fitted. A 'little' on the blue side for my liking but nicer than the OE.
Did you do the vanity mirror lights?
Update:
I wasn't totally happy with the blue tint of these bulbs. Found these,
2 T10 W5W 194 Car White 20 SMD LED Side Light Bulb 12V
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251104024565? ... 1497.l2649 for extra brightness and they are white - no hint of blue at all - the contrast was significant. I'm very pleased for £1.69. They are same whiteness as Audi LED lights in my glovebox and boot and you don't need CANBUS error free ones for dome lights by the way.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
He must of had a different batch of them then as mine (in both my Superb and the TT) are the whitest ones I have come across, no blue tint to them at all.

It is a bit of a minefield buying LED's!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm finding (from my small sample of dome, vanity and AUDI LED boot lights) that the smaller SMDs are whiter than the larger ones. These newer bulbs have 20 small SMDs rather than the 5 large ones on the previous bulbs.
Anyway, happy with them and the boot and glovebox lights now. Thanks for your help in this topic which got me started.
Just need the nerve to do my puddle and door open lights now :?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
vailance said:
i just figure it out by randomly guessing the Connector D and Connector B. Finally my car was on Pin 7 on Connector B somehow share the same as Audi A3 8P, most of the guys were talkin bout the Connector D pin9. but in my case, is wasnt.

So far it works fine including the control via DIS. One thing disappoint me is the FWLight did not operate same as my previous scirocco, which the light will turn on all the time (at night) and when the door is opened.
my car does not comes with any ambient light. is there a part number where it cames originally with LED lighting? i wish to retrofit these as well.
Maybe you have the wrong pin then?

vailance said:
possible to DIY myself with some SMD light which is as bright as the OEM or maybe little brighter?

Hello

Cannot remove the plug from the large black box at the top, do you have to push the little silver pin doown to remove?

Regards

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gizmo your led mods look fantastic.

I wish i could do this but i have never attempted messing with car electrics at all apart from doing soundsystem installs in years gone by and tbh this all looks like it could cost me a fortune if i mess anything up!

Am i right in thinking you have put brighter red led's into the std centre light controls overhead in order to light up the centre console red at night?

My TT is a 08, is it possible to do all these lighting upgrades to mine?

Sorry if the answer is already within but my head is spinning with reading posts by yourself and seperate threads by Toshiba too.

I think i may have fried my brain :p

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Our TT didn't have the interior light pack so the only lights it left the factory with were the map lights, vanity lights, boot and glovebox light.
I fitted the red LED's from scratch, a bit of careful measuring meant they were spot on with the OE position.

Your car uses the older style CECM so the feed for the footwell lights is a bit different, other than that it would be the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Our TT didn't have the interior light pack so the only lights it left the factory with were the map lights, vanity lights, boot and glovebox light.
I fitted the red LED's from scratch, a bit of careful measuring meant they were spot on with the OE position.

Your car uses the older style CECM so the feed for the footwell lights is a bit different, other than that it would be the same.
OK mate tyvm for your help. Just wish you were not at the opposite end of the U.K. :p but then maybe it's better from your point of view in case you get a visitor at the front door ha!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
StevieW said:
Would i be right in thinking it has a highline cecm as it has factory fitted bi-xenons?
Mine has halogens. [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
When wired to the CECM (and once activated with VCDS) you then have the option of them being on whenever the sidelights or headlights are on, you can adjust the brightness of them in the DIS.
Alternatively they can be turned off and just used when a door is opened.
I've just fitted Audi OE LED footwell lights (8J0 947 409A) wired to pin 50 of CECM and done the VCDS mods (Byte 12/Bit 5, Byte 20/Bit 0 and Byte 25/Bit 3). There was a wire in CECM pin 51.
I have the DIS menu item to set the brightness of the lights.
The lights come one when I open the doors and fade when I close them and go out altogether when I drive EVEN with the headlights on.

You mention it is an option to have them on when side/headlights are on. How? What have I missed?
Thanks

41 - 60 of 77 Posts