Audi TT Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Have you enabled them in the DIS?

(the car is not here at the moment…. and it is snowing, so I cannot physically look to see what was enabled, but from memory you need to tick a box in the DIS)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Further tests in the dark of my garage show that the footwell lights do indeed come on when I turn sidelights and headlights on via the dashboard switch. It was hard to see them in the sunshine :)
However, I normally have the switch set to 'Auto' and I have done your VCDS mod to have the sidelights on permanently. The footwell lights are not on when this is the state of the lights. That's fine, the footwell lights don't need to be on during the day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Have you enabled them in the DIS?

(the car is not here at the moment…. and it is snowing, so I cannot physically look to see what was enabled, but from memory you need to tick a box in the DIS)
How do I code the footwell lights via VCDS?

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
09 convenience, Byte 0/Bit 2 Footwell Lights

On iPhone using Tapacrap

·
Registered
252 Posts
1wheelonly said:
09 convenience, Byte 0/Bit 2 Footwell Lights

On iPhone using Tapacrap
Is that for TT RS?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it could be useful...

Has anyone in the US (or in any other Left-Hand Drive countries) done the footwell light modification? I can find where the light should go for the passenger. However, I cannot find where the driver's side light housing should be placed. I would prefer to keep it as factory looking as possible. Is there a plastic piece that needs to be added, or a replacement part that already has the hole for the light? I would rather not get barbaric, but will if I have to. Any pictures would be awesome.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Do you have knee airbags? If so in both sides? That is the only North American difference I can't think of, though I'm sure there must still be a space. Can you take a photo?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have knee airbags? If so in both sides? That is the only North American difference I can't think of, though I'm sure there must still be a space. Can you take a photo?
Sorry for the delay. Got a touch of The COVID-19, and it has been kicking my ass.

I understand that North American models did not have any footwell lights installed. However, I did find this little snippet on erWin.
Font Automotive lighting Parallel Rectangle Circle

I am not certain about the knee airbags. My passenger side has a cutout for the light, but my driver's side does not appear to have anything. Under my headlight switch, it does say airbag. Here are a few pics from the driver's side. I am not even sure where it should be. Left? Right? Center? ??? How about a LHD pic of an installed light? Anyone?

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
After quite a bit of Googling, I realize that I may have answered my own question. Does my vehicle take a special kind of LED light that fits into that tiny little square hole? I found a side-by-side comparison pic. I believe the part number is either 4G0919390B or 4G0919390C. Does anyone know the difference between the two? They appear to both cost the same from Audi. Of course it costs over twice the price as the rectangle-style. :confused: Is this THE solution?

Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Headlamp Circuit component Auto part

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
I'm pretty sure those distinct rectangle panels are knee airbags. Europe didn't get those so not familiar, but it does take up a lot of space. I'll try and get photos of mine tomorrow as I don't think LHD/RHD would make such difference other than being symmetrical, but might be wrong

You could always cut larger holes for the rectangle light units if not

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty sure those distinct rectangle panels are knee airbags. Europe didn't get those so not familiar, but it does take up a lot of space. I'll try and get photos of mine tomorrow as I don't think LHD/RHD would make such difference other than being symmetrical, but might be wrong

You could always cut larger holes for the rectangle light units if not
Just came back from dicking around above the pedals. That little square cutout is not for a light. Not sure where it is supposed to go. Looking forward to your pictures.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It seems the cars with knee airbags are not meant to have the footwell lights? I'm not sure where those other part #s came from but I'm only seeing 8J0947409A for older cars and 8J0947409 (no A) for newer cars. They are both LED lights but for some reason it has a split date of May 2011. They appear to be similar, but different shapes.

The cars with airbags look like they have no space for these lights so I think the best you can do is cut a hole in that rearward piece behind the airbag and maybe hot glue 'em to secure?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems the cars with knee airbags are not meant to have the footwell lights? I'm not sure where those other part #s came from but I'm only seeing 8J0947409A for older cars and 8J0947409 (no A) for newer cars. They are both LED lights but for some reason it has a split date of May 2011. They appear to be similar, but different shapes.

The cars with airbags look like they have no space for these lights so I think the best you can do is cut a hole in that rearward piece behind the airbag and maybe hot glue 'em to secure?
I think it may be a case of a bracket that was never produced or delivered. Neither the local Audi Dealerships, nor Audi of America have any information. So, I looked around eBay for footwell light brackets from other Audi models. Others use two thin channels and a pressure switch to hold them in place. In my second picture, you can see the two thin channels at the edge nearest to the airbag. It looks like the little "square" is where the pressure switch may lock into place. I wonder if it was so close to the airbag that they were worried about liability. Anyhow, since I cannot find the real deal, I am going to fab one up (using another model from eBay and keeping clear of the airbag) to get the job done. It won't quick release like others, but will do the job of lighting the footwell just fine. I'm hoping @MT-V6 posts a follow-up with some pics before I order parts. Either way, I will post some pictures and part numbers when I get it all sorted.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Sorry I completely forgot...

It's literally just a rectangle hole it mounts in, the light unit has a clip piece to wedge it in

Will try and remember tomorrow

Reactions: ryguy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry I completely forgot...

It's literally just a rectangle hole it mounts in, the light unit has a clip piece to wedge it in

Will try and remember tomorrow
Could you take pics of both driver and passenger? One way or "another" (this one, LOL) I am going to get footwell lights installed. I would like to get them placed properish, though.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Here you go, they are fitted in different positions on both sides

The driver side is behind the air vent outlets and to the left of centre
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Passenger side is inline with the air vent outlets and also left of centre, but not by so much
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
36 Posts
@MT-V6 On my 2012 TT passenger side (your driver's side), it is all the way to the right. This follows the same methodology they used for our Tiguan. Passenger is all the way to the right and the driver's side is all the way to the left, in front of the OBDII plug over the dead pedal. I may split the difference between the Tiguan and how yours is spaced. That way, my light add-on won't have any way of interfering with the gas or brake pedals. It will be more over the dead pedal and out of the way.

I am not sure my CECM supports the footwell lights. If not, I think I will rob door open signal from CECM B/T12c, 11. Let me know it this sounds insane.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts