Audi TT Forum banner

Footwell Lights Anyone?

26K views 78 replies 21 participants last post by  ryguy 
#1 ·
Anyone had footwell lights installed in their TT that they would recommend, any pics would be much appreciated. Thnx all.

#28 ·
grasmere said:
bits ordered - fitting and pics to follow at the weekend
well I 'would' have fitted them but dealer ordered the plastic housing for the end of the cable that plugs into the light instaed of the actual short cable itself :(

When I ordered the lamp housing I expected to have to get leds off ebay but in fact the housings came with a mini led pcb inside so the lamp was all ready to go which was an unexpected bonus.
When I checked which was +ve and -ve between the lamp pins I found that connecting one way lit the led white and reversing the connection lit it red. (I will consider a way to make use of that later.)

Gizmo68 - when the lamps are fitted to CECM pin 50 and DIS enabled etc do the lamps only come on when eg door opened or can they be set to be on even when driving and also dimmed?

#29 ·
grasmere said:
grasmere said:
Gizmo88 - when the lamps are fitted to CECM pin 50 and DIS enabled etc do the lamps only come on when eg door opened or can they be set to be on even when driving and also dimmed?
When wired to the CECM (and once activated with VCDS) you then have the option of them being on whenever the sidelights or headlights are on, you can adjust the brightness of them in the DIS.
Alternatively they can be turned off and just used when a door is opened.

#30 ·
cheers Gizmo68, superb guide and all done. No pics because I didnt feel anything was any different to whats already available on this thread.

Main point to reiterate was the part number for the footwell lights with LED included

I got 8J0 947 409 £7.17 + VAT

#32 ·
grasmere said:
cheers Gizmo68, superb guide and all done. No pics because I didnt feel anything was any different to whats already available on this thread.

Main point to reiterate was the part number for the footwell lights with LED included

I got 8J0 947 409 £7.17 + VAT
No worries glad it was of use [smiley=cheers.gif]

I did contemplate buying the OE LED's but since I had already obtained (FOC) 5 of the 6 lights necessary to do the footwells, puddle and marker lights and had a few suitable LED's already I thought it was a bit pointless.

#33 ·
Gizmo68 said:
[I did contemplate buying the OE LED's but since I had already obtained (FOC) 5 of the 6 lights necessary to do the footwells, puddle and marker lights and had a few suitable LED's already I thought it was a bit pointless.
yes makes sense of course :wink:

Ive another light mod coming up - pics this time as its a little bit different 8)

#34 ·
Thought I would add some better(ish) photo's taken with a proper camera this time - but still the same crap photographer though so don't expect too much :lol:

LED footwell, LED puddle and OE W5W marker lights

+ LED interior lights

Plus today's addition of 2x 3mm (5000MCD) LED's in the interior light housing.

Despite them looking pink in this photo, I can assure you they are not :lol:

#36 ·
vailance said:
just got myself some OE LED light, anyone know which positive pin should i insert to the connectors?
can you supply any more info - eg which lights which car? which connector ?

#37 ·
Gizmo68 said:
Gizmodo68, these are not the map reading lights are they?

#38 ·
grasmere said:
Gizmo68 said:
Not as such no, if you look closely you can see the map light chrome rings:

They are placed in the same position as the OE ones, however the OE ones are a fairly dim SMD light whereas the LED's I used were brighter - they are still recessed behind the trim and cannot be seen until the sidelights are turned on.

The power for them was taken from pin 5 (blue/grey) and the earth from pin 1 (brown)

#40 ·
grasmere said:
vailance said:
just got myself some OE LED light, anyone know which positive pin should i insert to the connectors?
can you supply any more info - eg which lights which car? which connector ?
Hi,
i just figure it out by randomly guessing the Connector D and Connector B. Finally my car was on Pin 7 on Connector B somehow share the same as Audi A3 8P, most of the guys were talkin bout the Connector D pin9. but in my case, is wasnt.

So far it works fine including the control via DIS. One thing disappoint me is the FWLight did not operate same as my previous scirocco, which the light will turn on all the time (at night) and when the door is opened.

Gizmo68 said:
grasmere said:
Gizmo68 said:
Not as such no, if you look closely you can see the map light chrome rings:

They are placed in the same position as the OE ones, however the OE ones are a fairly dim SMD light whereas the LED's I used were brighter - they are still recessed behind the trim and cannot be seen until the sidelights are turned on.

The power for them was taken from pin 5 (blue/grey) and the earth from pin 1 (brown)
Hi,

my car does not comes with any ambient light. is there a part number where it cames originally with LED lighting? i wish to retrofit these as well.
The power for them was taken from pin 5 (blue/grey) and the earth from pin 1
possible to DIY myself with some SMD light which is as bright as the OEM or maybe little brighter?

#41 ·
vailance said:
i just figure it out by randomly guessing the Connector D and Connector B. Finally my car was on Pin 7 on Connector B somehow share the same as Audi A3 8P, most of the guys were talkin bout the Connector D pin9. but in my case, is wasnt.

So far it works fine including the control via DIS. One thing disappoint me is the FWLight did not operate same as my previous scirocco, which the light will turn on all the time (at night) and when the door is opened.
my car does not comes with any ambient light. is there a part number where it cames originally with LED lighting? i wish to retrofit these as well.
Maybe you have the wrong pin then?
certainly on a MY11 car they can stay on whenever you are driving (with the lights on) this option can be turned on and off in the DIS.

vailance said:
possible to DIY myself with some SMD light which is as bright as the OEM or maybe little brighter?
Yes it's a pretty straightforward DIY job If you can solder.

These photo's found here http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252775&start=15 will show you the locations of the OE SMD's:

What I did was to soldier an LED to a small PCB which was then hot glued into place over the top of where the OE SMD's are located (glue them to the white plastic and not the OE PCB!)

It was then simply a case of soldering a resistor to the LED (so they work with 12v) and then a pair of cables to splice into the OE loom going to pins No. 5 & 1.

#42 ·
Gizmo68 said:
certainly on a MY11 car they can stay on whenever you are driving (with the lights on) this option can be turned on and off in the DIS.
Hi,
i have a MY08/09 TTS which i believe >MY2010 has diff socket.
I'm not sure why, i tried the suggested Pin9 on Connector D, the LED stays on all the time IRC. adjusting the brightness on the DIS(the only option i can do,assuming i vagcom it properly, enable "footwell light installed")

maybe someone can enlighten me :?:

Gizmo68 said:
Yes it's a pretty straightforward DIY job If you can solder.

These photo's found here http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252775&start=15 will show you the locations of the OE SMD's:

What I did was to soldier an LED to a small PCB which was then hot glued into place over the top of where the OE SMD's are located (glue them to the white plastic and not the OE PCB!)

It was then simply a case of soldering a resistor to the LED (so they work with 12v) and then a pair of cables to splice into the OE loom going to pins No. 5 & 1.
thanks will try that out and maybe get some LED of the bay to test out.

#43 ·
Gizmo68 said:
I fitted these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220951377971
They did take a while to arrive though - just under 25 working days.

No CANBUS errors at all (but then they are CANBUS LED's :wink: ) not sure if the interior lights are CANBUS controlled or not? the ones in the doors probably are though.

But @ less than £1 per LED, IMO it really isn't worth not using CANBUS (error free) LED's.
I got mine today and fitted. A 'little' on the blue side for my liking but nicer than the OE.
Did you do the vanity mirror lights?

#46 ·
I fitted some LED festoons in my vanity lights today
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290635011465? ... 1439.l2649
I chose these over SMDs as I thought the latter appeared slightly bluer which I don't like. However, these are also slightly bluish.
The cases are plastic instead of glass so sturdier.
The LEDs are only on one side of the bulb of course and I slightly rotated them so they face the metal reflector in the light to give a more even light.
Next the glovebox and boot...

#48 ·
#49 ·
They do look identical in size to what I fitted and are OE.

I know there are 2 or 3 slightly different shaped lights (squarer corners or more rounded like in the boot of the TT) but the physical size of the light units are the same.

#50 ·
m-a-r-k said:
Gizmo68 said:
I fitted these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220951377971
They did take a while to arrive though - just under 25 working days.

No CANBUS errors at all (but then they are CANBUS LED's :wink: ) not sure if the interior lights are CANBUS controlled or not? the ones in the doors probably are though.

But @ less than £1 per LED, IMO it really isn't worth not using CANBUS (error free) LED's.
I got mine today and fitted. A 'little' on the blue side for my liking but nicer than the OE.
Did you do the vanity mirror lights?
Update:
I wasn't totally happy with the blue tint of these bulbs. Found these,
2 T10 W5W 194 Car White 20 SMD LED Side Light Bulb 12V
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251104024565? ... 1497.l2649 for extra brightness and they are white - no hint of blue at all - the contrast was significant. I'm very pleased for £1.69. They are same whiteness as Audi LED lights in my glovebox and boot and you don't need CANBUS error free ones for dome lights by the way.

#51 ·
He must of had a different batch of them then as mine (in both my Superb and the TT) are the whitest ones I have come across, no blue tint to them at all.

It is a bit of a minefield buying LED's!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.