Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hey all.

Been here a while and have dabbled in the Mk1 side of things and recently acquired the most recent project car(s). You will see why the title is called so.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

:arrow: BODY AND AESTHETICS
• Bumpers and bonnet - video guide

• Door seals - replacing damaged or cracked inner rubber door seals full guide

• Scuff trim and side skirts upgrade - video guide

• Undertray fittings - remove/upgrade info inside

• Electric VS non Electric seat plugs + Engine main fuses comparison

• Glovebox replacement

• Headlight switch repair

• HomeLink garage door opener hack for exhaust valves or garage fob

• Upgrading interior door handles to TTRS/R8 slotted handles and upgrading ambient LED's for superbright lights

• USB 3.0 QC and Fast Charge Wireless Pad pt.1
• USB 3.0 QC and Fast Charge Wireless Pad pt.2

• White cluster retrofit + needle sweep + oil temp + lap timer
• Backlighting LED's died
• Backlighting LED's repaired

:arrow: SUSPENSION AND HANDLING
• Audi TT Mk2 Epic Big Brake Upgrade part 1 - 17z Brembo Caliper Teardown & Rebuild Guide

• Audi TT Mk2 Epic Big Brake Upgrade part 3 - Brake master cylinder upgrade & VCDS brake bleeding guid

• Audi TT Mk2 Epic Big Brake Upgrade part 5 - TTRS vented wheel arches for improved brake performance

• SuperPro 26mm rear sway-bar upgrade

This was the first car to have secured. Running perfectly but with a little too much damage for a cost effective repair.
9D2C4207-E3A7-41BC-92CC-44EF17012D04.jpeg

67D93DFA-D67E-4344-9218-9F530585CBE2.jpeg

So luckily another happened to pop up, albeit a little higher mileage, but for a relatively good price.

Now the build thread, which I wish to document here (as the Australian forums are abysmal), is planned out to go something like this
- swap out FWD drive train for the S-Lines' Quattro (gen4) and 10mm lower suspension
• brakes and 19" wheels
- swap out the rest of the trims that are up-specced from the S-line such as
• red FIS to updated facelift cluster
• power seats
• steering wheel
• exterior trim (these are what I can think of straight up but pretty sure there's more)

Once all that is fine and dandy (yes I know you're already thinking should just buy one in Quattro spec! But that's not the point here! And the price was too good) - then the focus turns getting this in and running.

So yes, this is a little crazy in that it'll be a full conversion but it'll keep me busy, I feel like it'll be the best way for me to learn this platform that I'm relatively new to (although not that much of a stranger to the 8L/8N platform), and put the 3.6 into a chassis that a little more agile than a Passat.

From the content I've stumbled across in this group I should have most of what I'll need to make this happen. The latter part of the build, there's not so much info, but hey we all need to start somewhere right?

JULY CORONA SPECIAL UPDATE: The R36 engine swap IS complete and running - very well i might add! If you've read this far you deserve to skip to the juicy part by clicking here. Audi TT 3.6 swap link

Attachments

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
I've thought before that it would be a good project to put the 3.6 in the TT. I'll be interested to see how you get on

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
MT-V6 said:
I've thought before that it would be a good project to put the 3.6 in the TT. I'll be interested to see how you get on
It is definitely possible - the hardware side of things will be the easy part as the 3.6/3.2 are virtually the same size on the outside. It's been done before in America, and this one is a manual conversion too (which is my end goal - sorry DSG fans!)
48361896_10217704880042527_2838021789701898240_o.jpg

And i have been working on the pin outs between all the different cars so when the time comes i know where to look when looking for why things don't work. I can upload this once it's tidied up.
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 6.43.33 am.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
First delete to definitely do!!!

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 7.00.48 am.jpg

I was wondering what that strange noise was when driving the 3.2 for the first time. Sounds TOO fake to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
I imagined they would we physically similar

Do you have a link for that US one?

The TT looks nicer with the aluminium engine cover, would be good if you could retain that somehow?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No links on that red one sorry. Stumbled across them on Facebook and not much info was given hence the homework.

Also the 3.6 in all it's forms only come in the plastic cam cover... so sad

With the only difference in the inlet manifold which is 2 piece vs 1 piece

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
The oil filler cap is on the other side of the engine to the 3.2, strange

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MT-V6 said:
The oil filler cap is on the other side of the engine to the 3.2, strange
Yeah there have been some upgrades on the exterior of the motor - there are no aluminium coolant pipes or thermostat housings yet available for 3.6.

The 2 piece inlet manifold is the best so you can gain access to the cam cover without having to remove the front of the car.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Are the quattro and non-quattro body shells any different in terms of rear end running gear mounting points?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
This is where i'm pretty sure there is one universal body.

Looking at all the different pics online and part numbers - there is one floor, and one rear end. Whereas earlier models or hatchbacks of the same gen have obvious different depths in boot height.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 5.59.52 am.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
And comparison of a 2.0 FWD vs. 2.5 AWD
48626992-6CCF-4849-B9C7-18A8E755AD11.jpeg

01F86E93-7863-4709-94BC-7BE52B53FEE7.jpeg

No difference in depth. How ever mounting points under the vehicle might be a different story...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Both TT's cleaned and project FrankenTTein almost ready for the green light!
251BD3F7-065C-4EB5-A2C4-06C764FB5C6D.jpeg

It's amazing what a clean can do...
553D9EDA-0A22-4D41-B065-9CFECBAF8E42.jpeg

Cover off and gave under there a blast with compressed air and a wipe down
C371970D-044F-4586-96F5-423240D144EA.jpeg

The final product ... which will be replaced
1A90A72B-175A-4C53-A188-069F4B7B959D.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Just a few more shots before things start getting a bit more involved!

IMG_4411 2.JPG

IMG_4394 2.jpg

IMG_7509 2.JPG

But we made it and it was time for a wash before having a well deserved rest.

IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_4407 2.JPG

Currently getting tools together to help with swapping electronics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Have to get everything working so i can get registration and plates for the car.

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

Relatively simple job with the hardest thing being to move the wheel arch liner enough to get to the motor.

This next job isn't important but i like the "fan" spray pattern that is on the older TT's and some VW's. These units are from an R36.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

They are a perfect fit (can you tell which one it is?)
IMG_4040.JPG

... however it looks like the electrical connector needs to be wired up as they weren't squirting anything (just a dribble) when activated. Something to work on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Some background work before starting
Fuse Box.jpg

Fuse Box.jpg

In my experience, being prepared (especially for such a "big" swap) is the best way to go. Knowing the above information and more importantly the below will be helpful in diagnosing when systems aren't working throughout the process.

Notice something? (file available on request)

Attachments

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
Isn't the coolant pump for the V6 mechanically driven? I didn't think it ran with the engine off?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MT-V6 said:
Isn't the coolant pump for the V6 mechanically driven? I didn't think it ran with the engine off?
Are you referring to J151?

That's the after-run pump - same thing on turbo cars that acts like a turbo timer. The pump runs to keep coolant circulating after ignition off. Secondary to the main water pump which is belt driven and the impeller is in the block.

After run is located to the left of the dipstick tube (when looking at the engine as if you're standing in front of it)

1 - 20 of 737 Posts