Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing some of the threads recently concerning faults, defects and problems with new TTs and the resultant quandary of whether to accept or reject the car has reminded me of the ''good old days'' when British Leyland, in common with most UK car manufacturers, was famous (or infamous?) for its ''Friday Afternoon Cars''.
For those too young to remember those halcyon days (lucky buggers!!) the expression was used for cars supposedly made on a Friday afternoon when the attractions of the forthcoming weekend dimmed the workers' interest and enthusiasm for the task at hand and resulted in cars exhibiting some of the worst build quality known to man.
Now I am not drawing parallels between BL and Audi but it does make one wonder when, according to many of the comments on this Forum, some cars seem to be constantly backwards and forwards to the dealer with various 'ailments' whereas other cars, which are ostensibly exactly the same, only see the dealer for servicing. Luck of the draw? Makes you wonder!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Considering the Hungarian factory is not a 24x7 operation and they only work "normal" hours for the five working days, this definately could be the case.
Like anything manufacturer this way it is luck of the draw, however I would hope that Audi has implemented enough quality checks to avoid this syndrome, but as you say reading other threads there appears to be issues creeping through...

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Factory runs 3 shifts 24/7.

·
Registered
384 Posts
paTTrick48 said:
Seeing some of the threads recently concerning faults, defects and problems with new TTs and the resultant quandary of whether to accept or reject the car has reminded me of the ''good old days'' when British Leyland, in common with most UK car manufacturers, was famous (or infamous?) for its ''Friday Afternoon Cars''.
For those too young to remember those halcyon days (lucky buggers!!) the expression was used for cars supposedly made on a Friday afternoon when the attractions of the forthcoming weekend dimmed the workers' interest and enthusiasm for the task at hand and resulted in cars exhibiting some of the worst build quality known to man.
Now I am not drawing parallels between BL and Audi but it does make one wonder when, according to many of the comments on this Forum, some cars seem to be constantly backwards and forwards to the dealer with various 'ailments' whereas other cars, which are ostensibly exactly the same, only see the dealer for servicing. Luck of the draw? Makes you wonder!!
I don't think it is just the Hungarian factory that Audi has quality issues with. One of our Directors has a new A5 with a drivers seat fitted with a budgie and a mouse been in several but no fix, other quality issues as well and all this for £40k. Dealer is trying his best but the vehicle shouldn't have the probblem in the first place.

He still loves the car though and that is what Audi a playing on they have great cars with variable quality not good enough for a premium brand. Mind you my current 5 series is a heap of shite thats why i ordered an Audi :oops:

·
Registered
31,059 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Toshiba said:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/19/production-begins-on-the-new-audi-tt/

...we'll be operating on the basis of a three-shift system...
Production will run at full capacity next year, according to Prellwitz. The TT Coupé will then be joined by production of the TT Roadster. "From that point onwards, we'll be operating on the basis of a three-shift system," explains Prellwitz

It's not exactly clear from that statement :?
...and besides it's rather old information which could have changed.

My dealer, as well as my "source" have both confirmed it's not a 247 production line for the TT

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Def 24/7 was even a statement on the Audi website about the ramp up of MKII TT production.

·
Registered
223 Posts
:( My car was built on a Friday! It has more faults than San Andreas!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought the San Andreas Fault was just one huge fault as opposed to many small ones... :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Toshiba said:
Def 24/7 was even a statement on the Audi website about the ramp up of MKII TT production.
Obviously there's something fishy going on about the info :?
My source has actually visited the factory at Gyor on several occation this year. Maybe they're talking 247 production in general at the factory rather then just the TT as it's not just the TT they assemble there.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Only makes TTs and those crappy A3 cab 'things'. Car plants dont do 9-5 its not financially efficient to run that way. Its Also an engine plant.

The production site for AUDI HUNGARIA MOTOR Kft. in Györ also achieved a new production record in 2007. The company produced a total of 1,913,053 engines. This represents an increase of 1 percent compared to 2006 (1,893,600) â€" with a total of almost 7,000 engines built per day in 2007 at Audi Hungaria.

Vehicle production in Györ increased enormously. A total of 56,982 cars was produced at the Audi site in Hungary, including 56,766 Audi TT Coupé and TT Roadster models, as well as 216 units of the Audi A3 Cabriolet: an overall increase of 140.6 percent from the previous year.

Plant runs 3 8hrs shifts. Your contact must have visited the offices.
Im sure i wont convince you, but the number speak for themselves.. Not sure how you think a 3 shift pattern works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.