Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been advised these are shot on both sides. Was sure it was drop link but apparently not. Had Qwikfit look at the car and they quoted £396 for 2 new wishbones. And about £600 with ball joints.

Is it better to change the whole arm or just whip them off and change the bushes themselves? The arms were solid enough so don't see why I should bin the whole thing.

Any recommendations of which way to go or places for bushes/ polybushes?

Cheers lads :)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I can say one thing for sure... Don't get kwik fit to do the work! £200 to replace ball joints? It's a half hour job and the parts will cost £50 max. It's actually easier to replace the wishbones if you are replacing ball joints at the same time, so there should be zero labour charge for them.

Bushes are about £20 but can be a ball ache to remove (without the right tools). A decent garage should be able to replace them for less than £100 labour.
I would stick with OEM bushes as poly will make the ride more harsh even if they do last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Go to a proper garage not kwick fit or mr clutch etc etc and ask them about it, then ask them how much it is, then look on euro car parts, buy the bits if cheeper than garage (with forum discout code) then pay the garage to fit them for you :)

Tom

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Fitting poly bushes doesn't make the ride much harder than standard bushes, in fact it's difficult to notice any difference but you do get a marginally better turn in, so a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. Also, if you've got access to a good engineers bench vice, fitting poly bushes is a DIY job whereas original bushes need a press.

This is a good link that shows what's involved and will help you decide whether to tackle it yourself:-

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154137

Although it shows a VW Golf pressed LCA, the procedure is the same, I used this guide when doing the ones on my stepsons TT.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a a pair of rear front bushes if you need them they are genuine audi ones ,you can have them way cheaper PM if interested. I never had any use for them as mine are fine.

Oh and as people have said ,dont let quick fit touch your car!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Midland VW did mine yesterday less than £100 inc vat and fitting.

Its a very easy job if you have the press, to press old ones out and new in.

If you bought the arms complete from GSF or even ebay the whole lot inc ball joint will be only £290 ish (Just checked GSF for my car £290 all in inc of ball joints next day P&P)

Please mate, dont go kwikfit, you'll regret it.....a lot [smiley=bomb.gif]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts