Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It's been a while and after moving off of a TT 3 odd years ago I'm still coming back here as I know you guys know your stuff!

So my query is on GAP, i've just bought a new Q5 and want to GAP it. Normally i've bought it from Audi but this time I think i'll go with an independent.

I'm reading the terms and it says you will not be covered for Dealer fitted extras...so basically does this mean that my Q5 which i've bought with 4k miles on it with all the bells and whistles Sat Nave etc will basically not be replaced if I have to use GAP?

Also is Vehicle replacement recommended over Return to invoice now days? is Vehicle replacement inflation/vat rise proof?

Thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've answered your own question? Why do you want gap insurance? Fully comp insurance is plenty. Unless you feel you are a poor driver. Talk about belts and braces. The car has to be a write-off for it to pay out. You should ask yourself how likely that is to happen. Jeeeeezus.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems to be a common reply on forums but what happens if someone writes mine off? I.e. someone breaks in and nicks it never for it to be seen again, or someone picking their nose while on the phone and fails to notice i'm in front of them shunts me and writes me off?

To me 50 quid a year over a 4 year term is really a no brainer...i'm trying to really establish if the 5k of extras on my car would be replaced under the GAP term...

Its a confusing marketplace!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, I just can't stand the way the Audi sales people sell gap. It's a bit of a scam. Again, it's all about risk and the odds of having a car written off. I do know the Audi sales staff get a very big chunk of the fee! I would definitely go independent for a gap insurance quote if at all!!! Don't do it. Buy high risk shares or put a bet on instead! Although I know it's difficult to say no.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've got Audi gap insurance mate. Cost me £300. No brainer for a 32 grand car. Fully comp insurance will only give me the second hand value on my car. So realistically having only a new car for one month I'd be lucky if my car insurance would give me 25 grand. The Gap insurance makes up the difference regardless of the spec. I'm assured by the gap insurance company that I would get all my money back. Hopefully I won't ever need it. Put it this way if you don't have it you definately won't get the full value back. With house burglaries and other idiots likely to write it off then for me £300 is a drop in the ocean. :p

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wont be buying from Audi no...

A high risk bet?!?! what one that will pay 10k odd????

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, when it comes to insurance we are talking risk. By paying £300 plus you think you are likely to have a write-off. Good for you. I like to manage risk differently. I.e when/IF bad happens I claim on my insurance...for the value of my car. Not more, not less. It not a no brainer. Hugs

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
You could consider going with an insurance company that will replace a car with a new one if it is written off in its first two years.
SAGA and NFU are two companies that do that and whilst the premium obviously includes an element to pay for that it's not £300+.

G

·
something else you might like to consider is that if you take the audi GAP insurance they've now changed the terms and conditions that it can now be transferred to your next car if you decide to change before the term is up.
you might like to check that with other company's if you go elsewhere before signing up also you can get the premium reduced if you ask nicely :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've got GAP from Audi, but only when they agreed to match the price that I found online (googled 'GAP Insurance', then found a company called ALA Gap and got a quote from them).

Audi initially wanted to charge me £450, then said they'd drop it to £400 as a good will gesture as I was signing up to a PCP plan... When I returned to the dealer with a quote I'd printed off from ALA Gap (approx £150), they initially agreed to drop their quote to £150 to match it, but then went the extra mile and tagged the £150 on to the price they were giving me as a part-ex on my old car, so I essentially got GAP cover for free! That was Plymouth Audi back in March - brilliant customer service :D

I'm fairly certain that any claim against the GAP will be a nightmare, and that the insurance company will look for any way to wriggle out of paying, but despite that I do feel that for a £39k car, it's worth being fully covered!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
audikarlos said:
You've answered your own question? Why do you want gap insurance? Fully comp insurance is plenty. Unless you feel you are a poor driver. Talk about belts and braces. The car has to be a write-off for it to pay out. You should ask yourself how likely that is to happen. Jeeeeezus.
To me it's got nothing to do with "feel you are a poor driver" it's simply to give peace of mind if someone else write's-off your car or some low life scum drives it of into the sunset.
As long as you get it for an OK price, IMO it's worth it for piece of mind.

"Jeeeeezus" yer you would say that when you see how much the insurance people want to pay you. I had a bike stolen when it was just 2 months old and I said more than "Jeeeeezus" when they told me what they would pay me.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
A few points on here, my son is a franchised car salesman, he has sold 4 cars this year to people who had both write offs and stolen vehicles and had GAP, so selling GAP again was an easy exercise, if your vehicle is new, then many insurance policies will replace new for old in a certain timeframe ie 6 months or a year.
He has has more people purchase cars in the same situation without GAP, and on some occasions they cannot afford to get back to the same spec/age as they lost, as the difference can be thousands, so you make your own mind up if you need it.

Not all policies are the same, many main dealer policies are over priced and you are paying for a blanket cover of possibly 25K, when in fact the car purchased might have been only 20K and realistically over 3 years you might only need 10K of cover, so shop around, read the T&C's, there are differences on these policies, the last one I took this year was Warranty Direct, not the cheapest, not the dearest, but the T&C's suited me best.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think if you buy a new car and your insurance company don't do new for old in the first year then GAP is must. The second you drive your new car off the forecourt it looses 5 grand as far as the insurance company is concerned. Many many times people have their car written off and it's not their fault. Even worse someone breaks into your house and steals the keys and then your car. This is becoming massively common now.
When you spend 32 grand on a new car surely to god 300 quid for gap is absolutely nothing. The doubters, well you carry on and risk it. I'm quite happy in the knowledge that if it all goes wrong then I'll get All of my money back and be in a new TT again and not one that's older and worth less. [smiley=argue.gif]

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wish i had it when i bought my GTI - It was stolen after 2 months and maximum my insurance company would pay out was £1.5k less than what i paid for it.

Other half was offered it with her Cooper S last month - Mini wanted £300 for back to invoice, ended up taking it out with ALA for £80 (3 year policy).

Also took out a policy on my BMW 1'er given the amount of those being stolen at the moment.

£80 for 3 years back to invoice cover is a no brainer.

audikarlos, nothing to do with being a bad driver. Just means you dont have the insurance hassle should the unfortunate happen.

Dan

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all,

Well thanks for overwhelming responses.

I was sure I wanted to buy GAP it is just which one is best?

Mine is not a brand new Q it is a 6 month old used, but its fully loaded, so is it best to insure based on back to invoice or New for Old?

Also you guys are quoting what looks like a reasonably low fee with ALA, i'm looking at 25K Maximum claim @ 250 quid so do you think i'm over doing it a bit? I.e. Although in 4 years if i'm written off surely this is why you bulk up now on more premium on the Maximum?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts