Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SITREP: Here we go again…
You may remember my restoration of a purple 2001 TT that I bought a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262876

That thing needed some serious work and I worked on it over a period of 2 years before reluctantly having to sell it. Well things have changed again for me and as we're trying to fund raise for my son's ABA therapy (http://gogetfunding.com/aba-for-ben), I've had to sell my BMW.
My brother was kind enough to give me a TT that he recently bought as a bit of a project. It needs wishbone bushes and a lambda sensor, but it's 'great' he said, I'm sure he even used the word 'mint' at some point…

Well, last night I went to collect it and drive 140 miles home in it. This gave me a good chance get to know what I was dealing with.
Just prior to picking it up, he's bought a 'refurbed' set of genuine TT 18" wheels with new tyres. These turned out to be crap replicas that had had a bucket of paint thrown at them. He'd also just replaced the wiper blades and fitted spacers (15/20mm). How bad could it be I thought?
FUCKING AWFUL! On the drive home I noticed the following bad points:
1) The exhaust is blowing more than a cheap whore
2) The wipers are so slow there's no point in using them, but that doesn't matter as the blades don't sit against the windscreen anyway. Bear in mind I was driving home in a thunder storm on country roads (The A1 was shut, GRRRR!) in torrential rain
3) The clutch is very heavy and feels like it's on its way out.
4) The wheel alignment is way off
5) The wishbone bushes are shot, causing a massive clunk over any bump
6) The number plate lights are blown and the housings are held in place with silicon 
7) The 'refurbed' wheels vibrate like you wouldn't believe. There were about 1kg of weights on each one, so I suspect they're buckled. Plus the centre caps don't fit on them
8) Engine management light is on. I suspect that is the lambda sensor
9) ABS/ESP/Quattro are all off. I'm hoping it's just an ABS sensor, but who knows at this point
10) I can smell oil burning. This, I think is a leaking gasket with oil getting on the exhaust manifold
11) The temperature gauge won't go above 60, so either the temp sensor or thermostat (or both) have failed
12) Service is long overdue
13) The headlight washers (aliens) don't work
14) The seats are filthy
15) The drivers door is scraping on the sill and has rusted - badly
16) The head unit was in SAFE mode (that was a nice three and a half hour drive with no music, listening to a blowing exhaust)
Good points:
1) It's economical. I got a 37mpg average, which is nearly 10 mpg better than my purple TT
2) The dash pod was replaced by Audi in 2005, so it has no dead pixels
3) The door micro switches actually work
4) Errr, that's it!
Holy cow, this is going to be an even bigger job than the last one and this time, it's being done on a shoestring budget 

So here it is, in all its glory:

Interesting spec on this, Factory sat nav through the DIS and genuine factory fitted phone kit (not Bluetooth) but no Bose.
I'm not planning any modifications at this stage (unless they're very cheap), just repairs, restoration and where possible, improvements. Settle in, this is going to be a big one!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
does it go woof too???
But seem to recall it's now in excellent hands given your previous restorations!!
Good luck and looking forward to following this project in real time!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Having finished reading the first thread over the weekend it looks like its in safe hands :D
looking forward to seeing the progress :p

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Something to keep you busy Garth :D

·
Registered
84,001 Posts
I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge :p

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
But this time you are starting with the best colour 8)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good luck with this one Garth,i know for sure it`s in good hands :D

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Postman turned up with some goodies today

So the first job needs to be a good service. I've got oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, air filter and oil ready.
I also got a full set of wishbone bushes including defcon alternatives for smaller front bush, ball joints and a pair of front anti roll bar bushes and brackets. That should sort out the clunking and give a nice new feel to the steering
Alignment is booked for Tuesday.
Saturdays job is to drop the sump and clean the oil pick up just in case.

Temp sensor and thermostat ordered. Just need to get some coolant to finish that job.

Got to try and work quickly with this project

http://gogetfunding.com/aba-for-ben/

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got some work done on the tt this weekend. I started with thermostat and temp sensor, so stripped down the filthy engine bay.

As usual, the bracket that hold the dip stick was a twat. Both bolts holding the plastic cover on were rusted and completely stuck in place. The screw heads rounded off instantly meaning I has to drill them out (just like on the last TT!)

Then off course, removing the bracket snapped the deteriorated dipstick tube

Drained the old brown coolant

I covered the broken tube while I removed the old thermostat and popped in a nice new one

And of course the new temp sensor too

As usual I was in trouble again for stealing my wife's measuring jug (I have my own in the shed) to mix up some G13

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the coolant replaced, new stat and sensor in, I set about the oil change. First job was to drop the sump to check the attainder in the oil pickup

Yep, blocked with sludge as per the norm. So cleaned it out
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

And gave the sump a quick clean (didn't go overboard this time) and added the new gasket sealant

With the sump back on, I cleaned up the disgustingly dirty oil filter cap and seal

Before I filled it with oil, I has to do a temporary repair on the dipstick tube (couldn't get a new one on a Sunday) taking it from this

To this

I replaced the old air filter, which obviously was filthy along with the air box

And the pollen filter too

I add to clean up the bay since it was all disgusting, so just have it a quick once over with APC while I waited for the paint to dry on the dipstick bracket I had repainted.
Before:

So with the new oil in and everything back together it looked like this

The front cover is awaiting new screws so it's still off

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The interior was pretty dirty and smelled like old wet dogs, so I stripped it out, which my boy loved

To find the usual crap. I removed the food packaging, KFC wet wipes and dirty rag from under the seat to leave general dirt

I'll show before and afters of the cleanup tomorrow as I finished too late tonight and it was too dark to take photos of the clean interior.

Whilst everything was out, I threw away the phone holder as is no longer useful and that left the connector redundant. I thought I'd put the space to use, so I stripped the connector out and glued in a USB port

Then covered the gaps with a piece of leather and reassembled the cover that it sits in

I needed to replace this

as a) I have no cassettes and b) I use the phone in the car a lot and need something with Bluetooth. So I went all modern and got a blinding deal on a pioneer unit on sale. No CD or cassettes, only that modern USB and Bluetooth streaming stuff. As a result, the unit is nice and slim

Which makes fitting easier as all of this has to fit behind it

All fits in nicely

I didn't bother buying any fascia covers as its cheaper and better to make my own like last time, so I'll get round to it this week.

I don't like the TT gear knob, never have, so out came this

All that gunk cleaned off easily so it looks good note if anyone wants to buy it?
I bought a really cheap a3 sport gear knob with worn leather and chipped chrome ring. Not a problem for my plan

I retrimmed the gaitor and knob and removed the rest of the chrome ring to paint it white to match my stitching

And refitted it:

Much nicer :)
That's the first of many things that will have the white stitch on black nappa. More to come soon...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I managed to get the seats from really dirty:

To looking pretty good:

I didn't spend too long on the drivers seat back as I've got a spare brand new leather cover for it. My brother bought it for me as a bargain eBay find

·
Registered
84,001 Posts
Top job as ever 8)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.
Top tip for the day: anything sold as "leather cleaner" as as much use on car leather as cold water.
Car leather is 'sealed' or 'coated' leather. This means that it has a protective coating on it (like polyurethane), which means there isn't a balm or conditioner on earth that is going to penetrate it. So what you're actually cleaning is more like rubber than leather. If you want a product that works, my suggestion is meguiars APC, diluted at 10:1. Use a softish scrubbing brush with that and it brings the leather up perfectly clean and matt again (assuming the leather is not damaged). Car seats are not trimmed in delicate alanine leather so you can actually use some fairly nasty chemicals on it to get rid of bad stains.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tomorrow's job is to fit the new wishbone bushes and defcon alternatives, ball joints and arb bushes so that the front end loses the terrible clunks it has now over bumps. Full 4 wheel alignment will follow.
I don't have hydrolic press to push in the bushes so I'm getting my favourite motor engineer to do everything tomorrow. I don't have time to dismantle and take the wishbones to him, get the bushes pressed in then bring them home to refit unfortunately. I have plenty of other jobs to do though ;)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1 - 20 of 188 Posts