Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then, let's get started here. I bought my TT just less than 2 weeks ago with the intention being to strip it down and rebuild it like new. I have two other cars, so I don't need to drive it meaning I can take my time. This is just a hobby for me, something to keep me out of trouble as it were :p

On to the car, it's a 2001 225 quattro coupe with a decent spec (Bose, Xenon lights, CD changer, cruise control, etc) and a lot of miles on the clock (127k to be precise) so it needs a bit of tlc.

Here it is as photographed by the seller:

First job was to strip the interior as it was very grubby and smelled of smoke and dogs :? Not surprisingly, there was a lot of dog hair under the seats...

After a bit of a hoover, it looked like this:

The carpets will be washed properly before the full interior goes back in but the seats have been in my living room getting cleaned thoroughly. It is damn hard work as there must be 11 years of grime that has built up on the leather. The dealer's photos were deceptive, the leather looked like this up close:

After a lot of scrubbing with gliptone cleaner, this is the passenger seat cleaned (on the right) and the drivers seat still waiting:

Quite a nice improvement, although it is not finished. The whole interior will be re-coloured next month to make it good as new.

The next job was to cover teh door pulls in leather as they were very badly scratched. Here is one trimmed and the other with the rubber coating scraped off, waiting for leather:

·
Registered
18,662 Posts
Good job mate, hope the rest of the project goes as well, I look forward to your updates :wink:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While the interior was out, I set about sound proofing it as these cars let a lot of road noise in.
Before:

After:

That's only a small portion, but the rest of the car will be done as well over the comeing weeks.

Next up was the faulty door switches, which I'm sure are well known to most TT drivers as the design is rubbish!

Well, here's my solution to the problem. I re-profiled the spindle and attached a steel hinge to the micro switch (and covered the hinge to keep it dirt free). This will keep the switch from being worn down any more and makes it work like it should.

I had to do both dooors as neither worked before.

As well as the above, I also fitted a Forge diverter valve as the original was faulty but I'm still left with a BIG boost leak to solve as well as finding this. Oh dear, this should keep me busy!

The engine work should be starting soon, along with suspension and brakes. There's a lot of rubber bushes to be replaced...

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Nice car mate and THE best colour for a TT. good work so far, I'll be following this thread with great interest. I love a normal renovation thread, as opposed to all the BT threads. Keep up the good work fella :wink:

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
agreed stevie.......this looks very interesting to me also. nice work sir and keep it up as this could well be a thread to beat them all

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. i wasn't sure how much enthusiasm there would be for a thread without big turbos or lots of mods. I am taking LOADS of photos as I do stuff so I will post more in the future as I was restricting myself for fear of readers getting bored!

I have a few mods lined up already and a few done (Apex springs, remap, Forge DV, quattro Sport wheels) but the majority of this thread will be about fixing/renewing/replacing to bring the car back up to showroom condition. I deliberatly bought one with loads wrong with it so I had more excuses to do work on it :p

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Garth said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. i wasn't sure how much enthusiasm there would be for a thread without big turbos or lots of mods. I am taking LOADS of photos as I do stuff so I will post more in the future as I was restricting myself for fear of readers getting bored!

I have a few mods lined up already and a few done (Apex springs, remap, Forge DV, quattro Sport wheels) but the majority of this thread will be about fixing/renewing/replacing to bring the car back up to showroom condition. I deliberatly bought one with loads wrong with it so I had more excuses to do work on it :p
how much do envisage the rebuild will cost m8ee and time to complete

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gazzer said:
Cost is a tricky one. I will be doing all the work myself so that's no labour charge. How much I spend on parts depends on what I find as I go.

As it stands at the moment, the costs are for:
Interior plastics (about £100 in various trim pieces at most)
Leather redye (less than £100)
Clutch and DMF (looks like £450 at the mo)
Wheel refurb (£100, not doing this myself as last time, I spent AGES doing it!)
ALL bushes (depends on whether I go OEM or poly)
Sound deadening mat is free as I already had loads from another project, as is leather
New brakes disks and pads all round (not priced yet)
Various paints
All filters and fluids

How long is a pice of string? I tend to get sucked in when I do these projects and they end up costing loads. Time could be anywhere from 6 months to two years for absolutely everything. My aim is to do it all right, not fast! It is a hobby after all. I'm in no rush to drive it.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Nice colour. :wink:

Good job so far mate, keep it up. I shall look forward to the finished thing, the trouble is with things like this, it just never finishes, there's always just that one other little thing to do. :p

Graham

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Garth said:
Gazzer said:
Cost is a tricky one. I will be doing all the work myself so that's no labour charge. How much I spend on parts depends on what I find as I go.

As it stands at the moment, the costs are for:
Interior plastics (about £100 in various trim pieces at most)
Leather redye (less than £100)
Clutch and DMF (looks like £450 at the mo)
Wheel refurb (£100, not doing this myself as last time, I spent AGES doing it!)
ALL bushes (depends on whether I go OEM or poly)
Sound deadening mat is free as I already had loads from another project, as is leather
New brakes disks and pads all round (not priced yet)
Various paints
All filters and fluids

How long is a pice of string? I tend to get sucked in when I do these projects and they end up costing loads. Time could be anywhere from 6 months to two years for absolutely everything. My aim is to do it all right, not fast! It is a hobby after all. I'm in no rush to drive it.
no rush to drive it??? you are trying to create the perfect woman and not 5hag it ......good luck and will keep a close eye on this one

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Never seen the TT in purple, bet it looks lovely though, I do love a bit of purple. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Wow ! Thats what I call interesting, GRRRREAT thread, look forward to more updates.......Steve

·
Registered
84,001 Posts
Good job so far look forward to seeing the rest of the thread

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Garth said:
You'll soon find we're all pic whores on here mate, don't ever worry about posting too many. Something you'll often heard said is, "if there are no pics, it didn't happen". :D
I'm loving what you've done so far, looking forward to following the thread with interest.

Mark.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys
neilc said:
Great to see a project like this. What engine mods do you have planned ?
Engine mods are low on my list of priorities at the moment. It's already got a remap and forge dv, that'll do for this year :p
Who knows what I'll do once it's fully restored.

Right then, the DIS was shagged so needed sorting out. It looked like this when I bought the car:

Obviously it could not stay like that. I got hold of a new screen and stripped the dashpod down...

Excuse the mess, it was my birthday on Thursday :roll:

The old screen to remove:

and the new one to go in:

De-soldered:

It looks like I forgot to take photos of the new one soldered in :oops: but I got one of the dials all cleaned up and put back together...

None of it working for now as it hasn't gone back in the car yet :lol:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good effort mate. Interesting thread! :)

Stuart.

1 - 20 of 1026 Posts