Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that Audi state that you don't need to change the gearbox oil, but for some reason this doesn't sit comfortably with me. My conscience is saying do it as my gear changes don't feel as smooth as is should. Has anyone else bothered? Did you feel any benefit? Which oil did you use and can it be done without going on a ramp? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I read this somewhere as well and I'm sorry but there is no way they have managed to find any oil and metal for the gearbox that will last forever!!

I'd change it and I will be having mine changed at the next service................ Once I;ve finished convincing the garage that I don't care what Audi say, I want it changing!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've also read that gearbox oil is permanent for audis but i've changed mine coz i firmly believe that all car liquids and lubricants wear off. Why would anyone not change gearbox oil yet change diff oil or engine oil?
Anyways, i used Castrol TAFX or as they are now called Castrol Syntrax - before i used this particular lubricant i talked to this gentleman who works for transmission/diff department in ABT.......and this lubricant was his direct advice.
Now gear shifts are noticeably smoother, particularly on a cold weather. So far so good for me !

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the fact that gearbox oil is not subjected to the same temperatures and pressures as engine oil plays a role in the relatively long life of gearbox oil. Having said that, I believe that Swepco is a popular replacement gearbox oil amongst Porsche enthusiasts .

:)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ford used to produce something called "fish oil" that used to go in gearbox's and was slippier than a greased up greasy pole.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I have Dean & chums @ 4Rings change my gearbox oil every 20K or so, or whenever it feels like she needs it. It feels better for quite some time after, but slowly reverts to being a bit touch 'n' go when changing into 3rd at speed/quickly. When I get it done again. :)

Works for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In my experience Audi tend to call a lot of things lifetime.....in that they call the lifetime the warranty period!!

On my old A8 4.2 the ZF tiptronic box is meant to be lifetime. There are a lot of folk who changed their tranny oil and the box kept going for years. Others didn't and it was big £££££'s time when it let go. ZF state that the oil SHOULD be changed so confounds the above.

No mechanical device that has moving parts and oil can ever be lifetime unless it's sealed and you replace when broken.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts