Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Swiss take a very dim view on rich speeders regardless of where they're from! This goes back to 2010 -

A Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h (180mph) in Switzerland could be given a world-record speeding fine of SFr 1.08m ($1m; £656,000), prosecutors say.

The 37-year-old, who has not been named, was clocked driving his Mercedes sports car at 170km/h over the limit.
Under Swiss law, the level of fine is determined by the wealth of the driver and the speed recorded.

The Swede's car - a Mercedes SLS AMG - has been impounded and in principle he could be forced to pay a daily fine of SFr 3,600 for 300 days.

Link here.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I will be driving across Germany this august to reach the Nordschleife, and I have POI's showed on my VC.... I hope they wont be a problem..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not up to date with these laws BUT having recently driven many different brand new vehicles the speed limit is displayed on the dash next to the speedo. You can Set an audible alarm if required. I assume that's still legal as not warning of any cameras ?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can't have fun anymore. I was once clocked at over 60 in a 30.
The policeman with the radar gun waved at at me but i was going too fast to stop 😄

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speeding only creates revenue if people speed and get caught doing it.
If you don’t want to have to pay a fine, don’t speed. It’s pretty simple.
Personally I often exceed the posted speed limit, but if I was caught, that’s on me.
I’ve never understood people who speed then moan about getting fined and penalised for their actions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
People are right to moan about it. Car technology and safety has come a long way over the past 50 years, and yet the highway speed limits have stayed the same while urban speed limits often reduced. suspension damaging speed bumps pop up everywhere causing people to constantly slow and speed up leading to unnecessary wear and planet murdering carbon emissions they keep crying about but are happy to charge us for.

And there are numerous organisations like the alliance of British drivers that publish clear rebuttals of all the government's excuse making and blatant dishonesty in the data and reasoning used for more and more restrictions, taxes etc.

As for people moaning about stuff. Are you new to Britain? It is our way and no bad thing because it's the only way things can get fixed. Like when your cars diagnostic computer starts moaning about something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don’t disagree, as I said, I often exceed the posted speed limit.
But my point is, if people (including me) choose to speed, we must accept the consequences of being caught. Same as breaking any law.

anyway, with fuel price as it is, can anyone afford to speed these days… I’m doing 50 on the motorway and coasting down hills haha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh i hear that on the fuel. I keep mine on short term mpg on the DIS and make a game of getting it high as possible which isn't easy on mostly short city journeys.

As for the law, i think they only really apply if they are just, ethical and equitably enforced which if you do even cursory googling of, you will find they aren't, it's just a money and power grab as always.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Motorists need to get organised to fight against this type of thing, the vast majority of drivers are against strict speed enforcement but it gets passed anyway because road safety groups are far more organised than the general population.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speeding only creates revenue if people speed and get caught doing it.
If you don’t want to have to pay a fine, don’t speed. It’s pretty simple.
Personally I often exceed the posted speed limit, but if I was caught, that’s on me.
I’ve never understood people who speed then moan about getting fined and penalised for their actions.
What about people who don't even speed but disagree with the way speeding is penalised? The speed limit is often well below the actual safe speed to travel at, so how is it right to penalise someone when their actions are not even dangerous?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The speed limit is often well below the actual safe speed to travel at,
That’s your opinion, and I agree there are roads where the limit probably could be safely raised - motorways for example.
However, there are 1000’s of crashes a year and I’m sure speed is a factor in some of those.
I drive over a thousand miles a month, from the South to the North East, and wonder how half the people on the road even passed a driving test. Yes the modern car is safer and capable of an increase in speed limit, but I’d argue most the drivers are not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s your opinion, and I agree there are roads where the limit probably could be safely raised - motorways for example.
However, there are 1000’s of crashes a year and I’m sure speed is a factor in some of those.
I drive over a thousand miles a month, from the South to the North East, and wonder how half the people on the road even passed a driving test. Yes the modern car is safer and capable of an increase in speed limit, but I’d argue most the drivers are not.
The focus on speeding rather than driving standards for the last 20 years is perhaps a reason for the decline in driving standards. I don't think it is justified that safe and responsible drivers have to put up with arbitrary speed limits due to the poor driving standards of others.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
484 Posts
I’m sure that there are a lot of people who think speed limits have been imposed in certain areas or circumstances are too low, mainly because those very same people think that they are great drivers and can go much faster and much safer than other drivers. This is NOT the case. It’s predominantly those kind of people that are the creators of road fatalities because they think they are fantastic drivers capable of driving safely at say 100mph in a 70 zone.

The thing that a lot of these drivers do not consider is OTHER ROAD USERS - let’s just say that Joe Bloggs is 70, been driving all his life but hasn’t noticed that his reactions and Road sense these days aren’t the best…..he’s on the motorway doing 60, makes a decision to overtake a car in the middle lane (as that’s where a lot of poor drivers like to sit) but before doing so, he doesn’t look in his mirrors………pulls out into the fast Lane.

Here comes the person thinking he’s safe at 100mph+ because he’s such a good driver. Because Joe didn’t look in his mirror, your up his arse in no time, potentially a collision at high speed.

Is it Joe‘s fault? - maybe. But no matter how good a driver you think you are, if someone ELSE makes a boob and your steaming along at 100mph, how many could say for sure that they would be able to react in time for someone else’s poor driving when travelling at way over the speed limit?

Im sure @SwissJetPilot would agree than driving on the autobahn is different to the uk and etiquette is more so recognised for those who do want to travel at breakneck speeds, here in the uk, not so much if at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m sure that there are a lot of people who think speed limits have been imposed in certain areas or circumstances are too low, mainly because those very same people think that they are great drivers and can go much faster and much safer than other drivers. This is NOT the case. It’s predominantly those kind of people that are the creators of road fatalities because they think they are fantastic drivers capable of driving safely at say 100mph in a 70 zone.

The thing that a lot of these drivers do not consider is OTHER ROAD USERS - let’s just say that Joe Bloggs is 70, been driving all his life but hasn’t noticed that his reactions and Road sense these days aren’t the best…..he’s on the motorway doing 60, makes a decision to overtake a car in the middle lane (as that’s where a lot of poor drivers like to sit) but before doing so, he doesn’t look in his mirrors………pulls out into the fast Lane.

Here comes the person thinking he’s safe at 100mph+ because he’s such a good driver. Because Joe didn’t look in his mirror, your up his arse in no time, potentially a collision at high speed.

Is it Joe‘s fault? - maybe. But no matter how good a driver you think you are, if someone ELSE makes a boob and your steaming along at 100mph, how many could say for sure that they would be able to react in time for someone else’s poor driving when travelling at way over the speed limit?

Im sure @SwissJetPilot would agree than driving on the autobahn is different to the uk and etiquette is more so recognised for those who do want to travel at breakneck speeds, here in the uk, not so much if at all.
Totally agree with this.

I also lived in Germany for 5 years and used the autobahn at least weekly. I had a Jag XFS at the time and often hit the limiter.
The lane discipline on these fast roads was (almost) faultless, not perfect but miles ahead of the standard here in the UK.
What they do better than us is teach people how to drive, rather than how to pass a basic test. The Germans are required to spend X amount of time in a classroom, and practical instruction. They also teach them in higher powered cars such as the S5, E class etc and they take the student on fast roads including the autobahn over 100mph.
Compare that to me, 20 years ago I did 6 hours driving lessons, a basic theory test and never once exceeded 50mph on the local dual carriageway. The day I past I went from that to the M1 with zero motorway experience. Madness imo.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
484 Posts
Precisely the above. We in the UK are never taught how to drive at high speed safely, it’s not a requirement by outdated driving tests etc. and because our speed limits dictate that no one should ever go over 70mph ever.

That in turn leads to drivers thinking they can handle speed, even though they think they can, they can’t. At least not safely.

Of course, there always exceptions to this and there are some excellent drivers out there, but unfortunately the majority arent which results in speed related accidents.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@ Steviejones133 - The biggest risk I routinely experience is people pulling into the high speed lane (left lane) without looking. Big trucks have a nasty habit of doing this at the last minute especially when they are in convoy and often with out indicating. Trust me, this can really create a pucker factor when they're doing barely 100kph and you're clipping along at 200kph+.

You learn to look waaaay ahead and to observe traffic in the right (slow) lane to try and predict what drivers might do and if there's any reason for them to be in the passing lane. Some of the worst areas where this is likely to happen are merging lanes from other highways, road side parking areas and highway gas stations. Drivers are often unaware of merging traffic and will make sudden moves into the fast lane without looking.

Are there slow trucks or caravans up ahead? How close is that guy up to that truck or caravan that's in front of him? Is he likely to try to try and pass by the time I get up there? If someone in the right lane is gaining on a caravan or big truck in front of them, the greater the odds they will move into the left lane to get around them. Question then is how soon will they make their move and where will I be when that happens?

If found the safest way to drive at these speeds is to find someone who's as fast or faster and let them be the leader. I just let them pass and then give myself plenty of space behind them so I can start to slow down when I see their brake lights come on. This way I can often avoid touching my brakes and many time just taking my foot off the gas will allows me to slow down enough to deal with the traffic he had to hit his brakes for. Once the issue is out of his way, we get back up to speed and start the process all over again.

Given the traffic density these days, especially with the increased number of east-block trucks, finding long, open stretches of autobahn for high speed runs is getting harder and harder to find. I bet I've never had a run that lasted more than 5-10 minuets before I've had to slow down due to slower traffic moving into the fast lane.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I bet I've never had a run that lasted more than 5-10 minuets before I've had to slow down due to slower traffic moving into the fast lane.
But in that 10mins you’ve travelled from Basle to Berlin anyway!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts