Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience of Google Android?

I'm thinking of switching from Windows Mobile (after the announcement of Windows Phone 7); but I need Bluetooth tethering support, does anybody know if this is possible?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm in the same situation, the performance of Windows Mobile 6.5 has been the nail in the coffin for me and Windows Phone 7 looks pretty uninspiring. A few people I know have Android phones and even the though the OS is still in its infancy, it's so much faster and has much more potential than WM imho.

I use my WM phone as a modem pretty much all the time and have Bluetooth devices I connect to, so USB and a Bluetooth tethering are essential. I'd done a bit of research and as far as I know there's no native support for USB or Bluetooth tethering in all OS versions up to 2.1. There's 3rd party app support for USB tethering, e.g. using PdaNet. PdaNet also claims Bluetooth tethering support though I've been told it isn't broadcast as a proper Dial Up Networking Bluetooth Profile which means some devices that need that type of profile can't tether the data connection.

Hopefully they'll have a solution too. Meantime when my contract comes up for renewal in April I'm considering taking my chances on the HTC HD2 with WM 6.5, hopefully a 1GHz processor can cope :roll:

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm tempted by the HD2 too, due to the Snapdragon processor. But it's quite big, which might be too much.

I think WM is still the better OS and the most flexible, but it obviously let down by the UI.

HTC have released a mini version of the HD2, but it's not as powerful (and I like to have the best!). Decisions, decisions decisions.

The latest HTC phones should have the latest Android on them, so perhaps it's worthwhile. I could also probably flash a copy of Android onto my phone to see how it runs instead of Windows Mobile.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Don't forget the HD2 has the new "Sense" UI

Haven't seen it myself, but the reviews are fairly positive.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
triplefan said:
Don't forget the HD2 has the new "Sense" UI

Haven't seen it myself, but the reviews are fairly positive.
I switched off Sense 2 on my Diamond 2 in the hope it would improve performance, it didn't :(

However I've just updated with the latest ROM (only a week or so old) which includes Sense 2.5, same as the HD2. Been using it most of the day and a lot more reponsive, the Sense features aren't much different but I'm sticking with it as the email, text and contacts UI is so much better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dash said:
I'm tempted by the HD2 too, due to the Snapdragon processor. But it's quite big, which might be too much.

I think WM is still the better OS and the most flexible, but it obviously let down by the UI.

HTC have released a mini version of the HD2, but it's not as powerful (and I like to have the best!). Decisions, decisions decisions

The latest HTC phones should have the latest Android on them, so perhaps it's worthwhile. I could also probably flash a copy of Android onto my phone to see how it runs instead of Windows Mobile.
Have you ever had a look at the SPB Mobile Shell add-on for Windows, Dash?

I've got a Sony Ericcson X1 (not my best decision) and found that the free SPB Mobile Shell download, from the SE website, made day to day functions a lot more user-friendly on WM.

It seems you have to pay for the latest version, but it may be worth considering if it helps you out. Have a look here:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/mobileshell/

·
Registered
229 Posts
what windows mobile do you have?

i have a HTC diamond must admit i love minmo but fancied trying android. its now possible thanks to the guys at xda-developers to run android on a winmo phone. give it a try its a bit buggy but gives you a great idea of all the good/bad parts of android.

my personal opinion i like the user friendlyness of it but the apps are all iphone copy cat apps and the whole interface felt very childish.

let me know if you need any help getting android to run on your winmo phone.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen SPB shell, but I don't think I've had it on one of my phones. I'm planning on flashing to WM6.5. I've got a Touch Cruise, which alas is a little lacking in the RAM department, and now a little bit battered.

I didn't think of putting Android onto this phone, that might be worth a try for a laugh.

·
Registered
229 Posts
its definately worth a try fella. doesnt use any memory when you dont use it. it boots from the storage card so i just leave it til i wanna use it.
im running a 6.5 rom at the minute. i prefer the speed of 6.1 though to be honest especially with devices lacking ram

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this was what I was umming over, but 6.5.3 is supposed to be entirely thumb friendly, which does sound interesting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
the only difference between the normal 6.5 roms and the 6.5.x roms is the start button is now at the bottom with the softkeys, the icons are still up top but the top bar is smaller and the bottom bar is bigger. thats the only difference i can find anyway. i use the older style 6.5 roms because the small taskbar doesnt look right imo.esp if you are used to 6.1

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, really useful. I think I'll flash to the official 6.1 update (which I never got round to), and chuck on SPB Shell and see how I get along with that.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.