Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after months of deliberation went ahead and got it done.

Read loads beforehand about power, economy, tax etc etc.

Delighted with the result. No loss in power noticed, I would say more responsive although fully aware that's in my head but comfortable accelerating harder as less concerned about fuel.

Have run her over about 600 miles now. Cost is about 10p per mile.

Also had a long conversation with Simon from Angus Autogas before the install about how I wanted it to look. I have the filler recessed behind the number plate and the gauge in the cubby so you don't see any difference.

Boot is the only change, lost the spare obviously and the depth is reduced by maybe 5 cms.

I will post pics when I get a second in daylight.

Getting 250 comfortably from the tank with a bar left so probably 280 - 300 in total.

Overall obviously it's a personal preference, I will never get the money I have spent on tt back so my plan is to keep her indefinitely (wife is delighted...) and I will over time comfortably pay for the install through petrol saving. For anyone around this area or looking for a decent recommendation I can't fault Simon, there were cheaper options but we talked through the differences and I am happy with my choice of kit, it's a prins.

I was really apprehensive when I handed her over but really pleased with the result!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Excellent, not heard of this being done to a TT so hats off to you. How much to fill the tank? What was the install cost if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah spent ages looking and actually pinched the hidden filler idea from a TT install I found online.

Cost to fill, £26.

Install came in at £1600, as mentioned though that was down to my choice of kit and the work involved to hide it etc.

·
Registered
674 Posts
V6 or 225? I'm guessing 225 at that price.
I lpg'd my Monaro as petrol costs were crippling. Car always ran fine, although the EML light was my constant companion until I got the post cat O2 sensors switched off. Has your installer done this?
You gotta love the price of lpg!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had expected engine management light but no sign so assume it was done for me.

I periodically use vcds to check for errors - not done it since I got her back but will soon.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Not a bad idea. I was a little sceptical when I read about it, but after some initial rough calculations it will have paid for itself after 30 or so fill ups. How mad is that. If it still performs well then it's a good idea in these current and no doubt contunual rip off fuel prices.

My mothers car has LPG and I think you need to change the plugs more often, that's the only difference in maintenance I'm aware but I could be wrong. Just something I've read.

Good job done. :D

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
ethan9482 said:
Yeah spent ages looking and actually pinched the hidden filler idea from a TT install I found online.

Cost to fill, £26.

Install came in at £1600, as mentioned though that was down to my choice of kit and the work involved to hide it etc.
Lpg cost around 80p, so for £26 you get around 35ltr , there is no way you can do 300 miles whit that amount of fuel .

Whit the 60ltr of petrol people getting 300-350miles !!!

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hope you upload some pics soon, especially of the control unit :) . And btw, using lpg you get a bit higher fuel consumption. In slovenia lpg costs 0.8€, and getting the system fitted is about 200-300€ in Croatia.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
kazinak said:
Lpg cost around 80p, so for £26 you get around 35ltr , there is no way you can do 300 miles whit that amount of fuel .
67p round here, so that's 39 litres which would make 300 miles nearly 35mpg ..... easily achievable i'd say :lol:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It has been done before unfortunately the car got totalled over the winter :( head on with an Astra which was on the wrong side of the road as i remamber, which is a shame as it was a cracking car

It was put on the RR in both modes at the north v south RR shoot out and got around 195 in LPG and 205 on petrol if my memory serves me correctly so the chances are your not going to miss the 10 BHP anyway.

If you want to come along and see what it's doing there will be another RR day on the 20th of October take a look in the events section ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry all for some reason I didn't get notified of replies. Lpg is 63.9 here and 250 - 300 is taken from the trip, can't see how it could be wrong?

On petrol I averaged 38-39mpg?

I will get pics when home from work today.

The car is the 225 Quattro, coupe not roadster.

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Photos as promised. Sorry for quality.

Also one of the questions was about road tax. I think there is a reduction post 2001 as it emissions but mine is a 99 so don't think I get any benefit there, could be wrong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344676274.124111.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344676307.093986.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344676399.341940.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bago47 said:
What is that?
That's the filler point behind the number plate. The visible parts of the install, as noted by soemeone else, are well thought out and neatly done.

I ran my last car on LPG for about 100k miles - a V6 MG ZS. If there was any loss of power it wasn't noticeable and fuel consumption was about 20% less than on unleaded, although a back-to-back comparison isn't really practical as your right foot is always heavier when running on LPG! I got a fabulous saving on my tax disc of . . . .. wait for it . . . .£10 per year.

The only issue I had with a prins system was the diaphragm for the vaporiser had to be changed as it was playing up (and a fix I'd do myself next time - parts about £20 at the time).

The only donwsides are loss of boot space / spare wheel well, some difficulty in getting insurance (some comanies just don't insure them), lack of filling stations (can usually get over this) and . . . . nothing else?

Just don't bother with LPG if you're only going to do 3k miles per year!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah insurance I expected to be a total hassle but as long as the car is registered on the drive lpg database then they are fine. I'm with admiral and no issues.

I read more than give a 10% discount but can't confirm that.

Am in the fortuitous position of having 2 different lpg stations within 3 miles of my house so they compete for price!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts