Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Will at P-Torque who remapped my TT yesterday... unfortunately i was stuck in traffic for the first hour after i left, but that gave me chance to realise just how good the fuelling was over standard, much smoother.

After that I got chance to open it up and it is impressive! Good job I had quattro on those damp roads! :)

Not only that but the average MPG was higher too.

Cheers

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
driving sensibly my P-Torque remapped 225 will return 28-29 to the gallon, motorway up to 33 to the gallon :)

if i tend to give it abit of stick which happens quite often its usually 26 to 27 to the gallon round town
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
jutty said:
driving sensibly my P-Torque remapped 225 will return 28-29 to the gallon, motorway up to 33 to the gallon :)

if i tend to give it abit of stick which happens quite often its usually 26 to 27 to the gallon round town
i get 30.9 around town with my revo map,but i will say that i expect to squeeze a bit more now i have got a boost gauge :lol: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
jonson said:
Engines can produce more power with less fuel, thats the entire point of tuning. It's all about efficiency, no point in in filling a cylinder with fuel and not enough air to burn it all.
Surely if Audi AG with all of there resourses, funds, technology etc, could squeeze more Power per MPG, Reliabily, then wouldnt they???? :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I suppose they could but it's all a balance between performance, economy and emissions.

Probably better fuel consumption around town but put your foot down and I would expect to burn more fuel and pollute more.

Not an expert though.

Scotty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
wrekTT said:
jonson said:
Engines can produce more power with less fuel, thats the entire point of tuning. It's all about efficiency, no point in in filling a cylinder with fuel and not enough air to burn it all.
Surely if Audi AG with all of there resourses, funds, technology etc, could squeeze more Power per MPG, Reliabily, then wouldnt they???? :?
Audi's tuning and fuel maps are optimal over the parameters of reliability, emmissions, economy, performance, etc and allow for a degree of degradation of the MAF, etc. over time for all cars across the manufacturing tolerances they use. A remap specific to the car will always be able to better that in some aspect (usually performance and efficiency) against the state of the car at the time the map was done... but at the cost of some other parameter.. for example reliability (an engine producing 225 will generally be more reliable than an identical one mechanically but producing 275) or long-term consistency (e.g. the MAF performance becomes more critical) but we are talking reducing the life of the engine by maybe 20k miles in 250k... a worthwhile reduction for the :p factor don't you think..

Incidentally I get 34mpg on the motorway at an average 75mph :roll: over a ~300mile run, which is 2mpg better than before my map, mainly I suspect because I don't need to try so hard to maintain the average speed..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
So if driving hard to the red line in an 'Chipped TT', your saying it will better the MPG that doing the same in an unmodified one? :? :?

We talk about reliability of the engine as a whole, but no talk what about effects on other ancillaries, like turbos, clutches, gearbox, brakes, tyres.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,114 Posts
wrekTT said:
jonson said:
Engines can produce more power with less fuel, thats the entire point of tuning. It's all about efficiency, no point in in filling a cylinder with fuel and not enough air to burn it all.
Surely if Audi AG with all of there resourses, funds, technology etc, could squeeze more Power per MPG, Reliabily, then wouldnt they???? :?
The TT is an 'all world' car. Audi have to spec it to be reliable in the worst case scenario. So take a mean, aggressive driver in a hot, dry mediterranian country. He's running it on low octane fuel, he doesn't service it as often as he might, and he's flooring it in the hot sun all day long. That's why Audi build in a lot of bunce. The upside is that the likes of us the UK who have good petrol, service our cars, and a reasonable climate, can remap the TT to get more performance out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
wrekTT said:
So if driving hard to the red line in an 'Chipped TT', your saying it will better the MPG that doing the same in an unmodified one? :? :?

We talk about reliability of the engine as a whole, but no talk what about effects on other ancillaries, like turbos, clutches, gearbox, brakes, tyres.?
no, if you thrash it mpg will suffer just the same, possibly worse because the map wil probably increase fuelling at WOT. But a better map broadly uses fuel more efficiently so driven sensibly should return better mpg. If the remap makes the power and torque curves broader then its easier to maintain speed under a wider range of road conditions with less throttle and/or gear changes so again, compared to a standard car under the same conditions, mpg should improve... and the evidence proves this...

However, there are maps that pull a lot more torque/power but in a much narrower rev band... these maps are more fun to drive, give more of a kick in the backside, but require much more gear work to keep the engine/turbo on song and will return worse mpg unless the peak is close to where you cruise on the motorway... these maps are better suited to the track... tuners like VagCheck and p-torque can provide alternate maps to suit individual needs but some of the more aggressive can be pretty undrivable in UK road traffic...

Of course more power adds wear to other components like brakes etc, but only if you use it all the time. For me a map is something to enjoy when the opportunity arises - on the track or, like the other day, tanking over the hills from Huddersfield to Rotherham :p (where I met another 225TTR being driven by a nun, or so it seemed... :? )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
ttsteve said:
wrekTT said:
jonson said:
Engines can produce more power with less fuel, thats the entire point of tuning. It's all about efficiency, no point in in filling a cylinder with fuel and not enough air to burn it all.
Surely if Audi AG with all of there resourses, funds, technology etc, could squeeze more Power per MPG, Reliabily, then wouldnt they???? :?
The TT is an 'all world' car. Audi have to spec it to be reliable in the worst case scenario. So take a mean, aggressive driver in a hot, dry mediterranian country. He's running it on low octane fuel, he doesn't service it as often as he might, and he's flooring it in the hot sun all day long. That's why Audi build in a lot of bunce. The upside is that the likes of us the UK who have good petrol, service our cars, and a reasonable climate, can remap the TT to get more performance out of it.
As i understand though they set up differently for other countries..
Where the petrol is sold is of lesser quality. Thats why as they often have different ECU part numbers for the amercian markets etc,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
wrekTT said:
ttsteve said:
wrekTT said:
jonson said:
Engines can produce more power with less fuel, thats the entire point of tuning. It's all about efficiency, no point in in filling a cylinder with fuel and not enough air to burn it all.
Surely if Audi AG with all of there resourses, funds, technology etc, could squeeze more Power per MPG, Reliabily, then wouldnt they???? :?
The TT is an 'all world' car. Audi have to spec it to be reliable in the worst case scenario. So take a mean, aggressive driver in a hot, dry mediterranian country. He's running it on low octane fuel, he doesn't service it as often as he might, and he's flooring it in the hot sun all day long. That's why Audi build in a lot of bunce. The upside is that the likes of us the UK who have good petrol, service our cars, and a reasonable climate, can remap the TT to get more performance out of it.
As i understand though they set up differently for other countries..
Where the petrol is sold is of lesser quality. Thats why as they often have different ECU part numbers for the amercian markets etc,
I think that used to be the case... but with broader global markets its harder for manufacturers to make vehicles too specific for a market, and with better electronics there is less need to do so.

Certainly the ECU we have are the same part for US and all European markets (for a given model year/revision/engine) so ttsteve's point is probably valid..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
regardless of the technical arguments either way the fact is that those of us who have remapped cars have reported a noticeable increase in MPG, this cannot be disputed unless we are all wrong or lying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
yeah makes sence to me that,if you getting better preformance ,then youll get more power...or better eceonomy,depending on how you drive it.
if its tuned that way,then dumb blondes ll be syphoning the tank without realising it...therefore maybe audi have to safeguard againsed this in order to claim the levels of economy that they do
;o)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
mushypeasuk said:
yeah makes sence to me that,if you getting better preformance ,then youll get more power...or better eceonomy,depending on how you drive it.
if its tuned that way,then dumb blondes ll be syphoning the tank without realising it...therefore maybe audi have to safeguard againsed this in order to claim the levels of economy that they do
;o)
Maybe Better spelling too!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top