Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of the sports have annoying commentators, but here are some great things about the Olympics:

Variety and better sports
There's a shed-load of great sports to watch and enjoy, sports that normally don't get reported on despite high level competitions because of media bias towards the wall-to-wall festival of boredom called football. Here there are sports that are more exciting to watch, more skillful, faster, more challenging, more technical, or some combination of these. Here then are some sports that are worth the airtime.

Everyone can watch
No subscription necessary. Just 24 channels of well-shot HD sports. Brits who moan about the Olympics being inaccessible to them, what more can you ask for than free footage of every event with a catch-up service too?

No commercial crap
No stupid advertising boards or animated screens providing a constant bombardment of sponsorship BS. No massive logos on the competitors. Despite all the Olympic sponsorship, there's nothing on screen except the sport, and the scores. The only on-site screens are there to provide footage or information to the audience. All sport should be like this!

A better audience
Here's a nice example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19057400
"It had the feeling of a music festival for horse-lovers - Glastonbury meets Glorious Goodwood with champagne and seafood bars to counter-balance the burger vans and Portaloos. Some sprawled themselves across the grass and soaked up the sunshine, others found a free spot to lay out their picnic.. "
An audience of people with a deeper interest in the sport they've gone to see. Crowds who can enjoy the show and cheer exciting sport whoever's playing, and cheer the winner, whoever wins. It's all good fun, and has a genuine appreciation of the quality of play.

Sport pretty much for the sake of sport
It's simple: You compete for the prestige of winning an Olympic medal. You represent an entire country, and everyone in that country is rooting for you unless they're a miserable turd.

:)

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
I don't think anyone can complain about the way the BBC has covered it so far that's for sure. It's been brilliant. 8)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Never thought I would say this, GB women's football is more exciting to watch than the men's, they are playing really well top of the group. It makes the men look second rate.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Caught some of the hockey - unbelievably fast, skilful and brave.

Only question is - why are the official ID passes so enormous? Only just short of sandwich board size.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bang on OP.. Love it for all the reasons mentioned.. Well into it.. Find myself watching the archery and the equestrian stuff, was knocking the handball then started watching it for 5mins and ended up watching two matches.. Feel a bit lazy watching the football and the tennis as u can see them all the time, not that I'm knocking them either as I have caught some of it and I'm off to wembley tonight !(free ticket) not a belter of a match, n.korea vs Gabon... Neithers my team but should be a Laff!

But as u say it's nice to give these "lesser sports" the airtime they deserve.

Managed to actually get to the beach vollyball on Sunday, catch the end of the womens cycling on the mall, I have tickets to the judo down at excel next week.. And paraolympics tickets for swimming and athletics.. Yippee... Well into the spirit..

Think the BBC have done a fantastic job with the coverage.. Jst too much to watch...

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Couldn't agree more :)

Really enjoying the BBC coverage and the chance to see some genuinely exciting sports that rarely get airtime. Couldn't beleive my wife wanted to watch tennis last night when there was such a variety of other sports available - Wimbledon was only on a few weeks ago :roll: :lol:

Loving the support from the audiences as well - not only for their own countries but for outstanding performances from others as well. The huge reaction to Phelps' 19th medal last night, just one example. :)

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
The BBC are capturing the Olympic spirit, with some great interviews of both competitors and their family. What really made last night's coverage (Tuesday) was the interview of the South African Swimmer's father..... One very proud dad

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
mighTy Tee said:
The BBC are capturing the Olympic spirit, with some great interviews of both competitors and their family. What really made last night's coverage (Tuesday) was the interview of the South African Swimmer's father..... One very proud dad
+1. That was brilliant! :)

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I missed that. Perhaps I'm making the mistake of watching the dedicated channels rather than BBC1/3's Olympic shows(??), but on the 24 channels it seems to just go from one event to the next with some empty space (and nice music) in between.

Lovinit said:
Managed to actually get to the beach vollyball on Sunday, catch the end of the womens cycling on the mall, I have tickets to the judo down at excel next week.. And paraolympics tickets for swimming and athletics.. Yippee... Well into the spirit..
Even better if you can be there! I'm looking forward to watching some Taekwondo, and missed last night's Badminton fiasco but saw some excellent weightlifting, archery, swimming and beach volleyball. There's always a great crowd at the volleyball, and the archery was down to the final arrow (again!) with the need to get the rulers out.

Lovinit said:
Think the BBC have done a fantastic job with the coverage.. Jst too much to watch...
Hooray for catch-up! Except most don't seem to be working for me :( Nearly everything shows "This content doesn't seem to be working." but all the clips on Olympic news stories do work fine. Most odd. I hope they keep the stuff available for more than the usual iPlayer 7 days, because there's so much to choose from and a lot takes place whilst I can't watch.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The Athletes
The vast majority seem to be pleasant, articulate, humble, genuinely grateful for their opportunities & success, driven, generous to competitors' success, accepting of officials' decisions etc. etc...

Then, 6 days after the Olympics finishes and by way of complete contrast, the Premier League begins again :roll:

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
drjam said:
The Athletes
The vast majority seem to be pleasant, articulate, humble, genuinely grateful for their opportunities & success, driven, generous to competitors' success, accepting of officials' decisions etc. etc...
Good spot! Of course! I knew there was something - I forgot to mention the points you mention when compared to football oiks. They all seem to be decent people. Hooray for proper sports!

drjam said:
Then, 6 days after the Olympics finishes and by way of complete contrast, the Premier League begins again :roll:
By way of complete contrast and return to the usual "lowest common denominator" thugfest of overpaid morons... How many days until Rio? :)

SIlver and gold in the C2 canoeing! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Music
It's all good. From the bursts of music adding to the fun of the Beach Volleyball, to the excellent waiting music before the medal ceremonies. Chariots of FIre for the medal ceremonies themselves works very well. An extra bit of polish on a very well-organised hosting of the Olympic Games.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've found myself watching all sorts of sports that I never bothered with before and sit down of an evening and watch a few hours before going to bed. The BBC's coverage has been fantastic!

The best bit by a county mile was the womens sychronises 10m diving, the 2 British birds were stunners!

·
Registered
666 Posts
MP said:
I've found myself watching all sorts of sports that I never bothered with before and sit down of an evening and watch a few hours before going to bed. The BBC's coverage has been fantastic!

The best bit by a county mile was the womens sychronises 10m diving, the 2 British birds were stunners!
^^ same as!
I've never wanted to watch so much sport before the Olympics, but with so many hotties in the teams and great coverage I'm even able to watch/listen to events at work on my pc. I watched the rowing with Katherine Grainger and Anna Watkins getting a gold at last,
Victoria Pendleton in the cycling get gold before retiring, men's cycling 4 man pursuit break their own world record and gold again, bradley wiggins win the time trials, karina byrant getting a bronze in the judo having been 4 time European champion but never a podium at the Olympics and she had to get lifts to training and ask for help buying a new car after hers got to the point of being so unreliable she had to crawl through the boot once to get in it!

Just can't get enough of these games and with thanks to the BBC it's been incredible. Just wish I'd made the chance to buy some tickets.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Have been fed up to the back teeth of the Olympics since it was announced we were getting it, and threatened to put my foot through the TV if Lord Coe's stupid smug face came on again.

However, I have been totally fixed on it from the opening ceremony, and at times it has made me feel very emotional and proud of everything we are achieving, from the organisation, to the brilliant competitors themselves.

Oh how I wish I had got tickets for anything now! [smiley=bigcry.gif]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts