Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently while driving my car this week I have noticed a grinding noise that sounds like its coming from the front of my car. The noise sounds like metal grinding, it only happens as I accelerate and then release the pedal. It makes this noise through all the gears but the noise is intermittent. The grinding noise is worse in the higher revs. I've taken it to a garage but they have said that they cant find anything wrong with it as it wasn't making the noise then. My car was only serviced 2 weeks back it didn't make the noise then, im not sure if its something that they have done or its something that has just occurred. Has anyone else had a problem such as this? I've got a 1.8T 225 TT on 2001 X plate.

Many Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope its not that, its really weird it makes the noise when the accelerator is released. The only was to describe it is it sounds like two metal plates grinding against each other, its not a pleasant sound at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you get any luck with your problem? I have a 99 plate T reg 225 and it started doing exactly the same thing yesterday :eek:

I have no idea what could be causing the problem though. I'll keep you posted if I find anything out first!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Would be worth getting the front jacked up to have a proper look at all possible components, CV Joints etc...look for wear & tear. Then spin each wheel manually and look/listen for friction

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hammer216 said:
Would be worth getting the front jacked up to have a proper look at all possible components, CV Joints etc...look for wear & tear. Then spin each wheel manually and look/listen for friction
Is it posibility that Dump Velve need to be replaced ?????

·
Registered
94 Posts
And as merkage state on the begining, "The noise sounds like metal grinding, it only happens as I accelerate and then release the pedal" - exactly the same symptoms :-(. Someone has to know somethink about it ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had similar noise on another front wheel drive car - grating noise on deceleration, turned out to be output bearing in gearbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys,
I had that sound for the past 15k milometers (about 10k miles)...I went several times with audi dealer...they didnt find anything. 2 weeks ago...an intermitent oil sign appeared in dashboard. I took the car to the dealer for oil pressure check. They found that the pressure was low, about 1/3 of what should be. Then I thought the noise was cuz the oil pump was worned. Believe it or not last saturday I started to DYI change the oil pump...(got the EBahn repair manual)...I took out the oil pan...SURPRISE!!!...just above the oil pump the 1st of 5 bearing was TOTALY LOOOOSE!!!! the 2 screws that holds the bearing were broked...the remains of these ones at the bottom of the oil pan.
THAT WAS THE NOISE AND NOT THE OIL PUMP.
WENT TO AUDI Dealer they said they could not believe it...car is out of warranty, there is no damage to the engine. This is incredible for me. I have pictures of all this...only thing is that I dont know how to post them here. Im changing all 10 screws/bolts? not sure how to call them...in addition Im changin the bearing shell of bearing #1. Bearing # 1 has some damage as the crankshaft was "brushing" or rubbing the loosen bearing. I still don't believe neither the Audi technician. This saturday a mechanic from Audi is coming home with a torque wrench (I dont have that tool) and will change all 10 bolts for all bearings.

If anyone has the same noise I would suggest to check it out asap.
Cheer mates and Im sorry for my english. Is my second lenguage as I am from Mexico.
By the way my car is an Audi TT 2001 Roadster olive green with 50k miles on it. Engine never repaired and all audi services since the begining.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

Shot in the dark but i had this recently and was exactly as stated, intermittent and louder with revs etc...turned out to be my clutch for the air con unit had broke/come loose and was causing the exact same noise. Not saying this is it but worth a try... :?

Carl

·
Registered
560 Posts
id it drive train or engine related? you should be able to tell as iss the noise changing with the speed of the car or the rev of the engine? its hard to diagnose with the little detail everyone is leaving

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have had a similar problem recently, mine was a grinding / rattling noise at 1000 - 2000 RPM - coming from the front of the car

I took it to Awesome GTI and they found that the tensioner on the cambelt had collapsed in to the engine, due to a faulty cambelt and they rectified the problem

I did notice loss of power whilst this was going on, due to the cambelt not being taught.

It may or may not be the problem, but worth a shot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.