Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!

So I was driving along the dual carriageway and approached a roundabout on the inside lane. 2 cars were ahead of me on the outside lane as I went round the roundabout. The car at the front of the 2, a Bravo, was dithering, going slowly and looked a bit lost so the Zafira behind it changed lanes and pulled out in front of me to go round the Bravo. At the last moment the Bravo cut accross both lanes, having to literally pull back on himself to get back onto the roundabout. The Zafira slammed it's brakes on to avoid the Bravo, and due to it just having pulled into my lane right in front of me, I could do nothing but slam my brakes on, but still went into the Zafira.

The Bravo drove off. I was LIVID. I indicated to the Zafira I'd be back and went after the Bravo. I caught up with him and started furiously flashing while it tried weaving through traffic to escape me. He then had to stop at some traffic lights at some crossroads and I pulled up behind him and he obviously knew I was not happy. As I went to get out he drove through the red light and off round the corner up the single lane A road. There were traffic light cameras there but not sure they're there for that lane so there was no way I was running the red as well and there was no way I could catch him as other cars started going the same way after the Bravo from the other direction. I DIDN'T get his plate.

I went back to the Zafira and we exchanged details but am soo angry - this was not my fault, although I know I went into the back of this guy. My bumper and front grill is smashed but I've just ordered a 3 bar grill anyway and don't mind sourcing a bumper.

So annoyed!!

:evil: [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brendanb86 said:
I know you were probably in a blind rage, but you should have just taken his plate.
I am fully aware of that lol and in hindsight obviously should have - but my intention was to give him a piece of my mind AND take his plate. He ran a red light and traffic camera remember - I didn't expect him to do that.... I hope I see him again some time.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
AdamG said:
Brendanb86 said:
I know you were probably in a blind rage, but you should have just taken his plate.
I am fully aware of that lol and in hindsight obviously should have - but my intention was to give him a piece of my mind AND take his plate. He ran a red light and traffic camera remember - I didn't expect him to do that.... I hope I see him again some time.
Why? so you can shout at him like a naughty boy? or give him a beat down and get yourself in trouble while he smiles at you?

Let it go and learn, if people look lost or have no clue how to drive maybe hang back a bit? feel sorry for you but unless you check the cameras theres not much you can do but sort your car and the other guys out :(

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danny1 said:
AdamG said:
Brendanb86 said:
Why? so you can shout at him like a naughty boy? or give him a beat down and get yourself in trouble while he smiles at you?

Let it go and learn, if people look lost or have no clue how to drive maybe hang back a bit? feel sorry for you but unless you check the cameras theres not much you can do but sort your car and the other guys out :(
Cheers for the sympathy guys.

Danny - Did you not read the story - the Zaf pulled out in front of me and the Bravo did a ridiculously dangerous maneuver, pulling accross 2 lanes without indication and when he was virtually off the roundabout. There's nothing to learn from this other than there are a lot of pricks out there who really can't drive.

And in a word, yes. This could cost me a lot of money and he's got away with nothing. All I can hope is that he gets done for the red light.... But I don't the camera is for the filter but the main cross-roads.

I came on here to vent and thought I might get some like-minded sympathy lol. I can appreciate I should of got the plate but we don't always think clearly when angry - and the guy was stopped and it seamed like I was going to be able to speak to him to get his details and excuses - he knew who I was and what he had done. He then ran a RED and sped off again.... :(

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
errr you wrote " The car at the front of the 2, a Bravo, was dithering, going slowly and looked a bit lost so the Zafira behind it changed lanes and pulled out in front of me to go round the Bravo."

so while driving before any incident you saw that the guy at the front was not driving in a normal way. So yes i read your story, and yes you could have dropped back abit and give the "numpty" more room.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danny1 said:
errr you wrote " The car at the front of the 2, a Bravo, was dithering, going slowly and looked a bit lost so the Zafira behind it changed lanes and pulled out in front of me to go round the Bravo."

so while driving before any incident you saw that the guy at the front was not driving in a normal way. So yes i read your story, and yes you could have dropped back abit and give the "numpty" more room.
I'm not physic.

And the accident happened because the Zaf pulled right in front of me.

Let's just hope nothing like this happens to you. These things are not nice when they happen and can cost a lot of money/stress. You seam hell-bent on blaming me when you weren't there - is this Bravo driver a friend of yours or something?? I was just wanting to vent and perhaps get a little advice/sympathy from some fellow TTers about something that really wasn't my fault but that of a absolute pr1ck who obviously doesn't know the laws of the road or how to drive correctly.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Danny1 said:

have to agree with Danny here, if the zafira had just pulled into your lane in a dangerous fashion to bypass a dithering motorist then the natural instinct is hold back as you are driving a nice TT and obviously wouldn't want to get her damaged.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me just clarify something - I was in the inside lane with the other 2 cars ahead, but they were on the outside. The Zaf decided to pull out in front of me into my to obviously by-pass the numpty. This left an inadequete breaking distance. As the Zaf did this the Bravo moved accross from the outside lane into the inside portion of the roundabout and then at the very last moment then realised he didn't want to come off at all. Having virtually already exited the roundabout, he did a VERY dangerous and acute swerve to stay on the roundabout. The Zaf then slammed his brakes on to avoid the Bravo. This had all happened within a few seconds and VERY quickly. Had the Zaf not pulled in so close to me I wouldn't have hit it. The Zaf shouldn't have pulled in so close to me (but obviously wasn't anticipating such a dangerous and stupid move from the Bravo who obviously wasn't paying any attention to the other road users and the Bravo obviously shouldn't have done what it did.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
adam u did exactly what i would have done apart from at the traffic light id of tried to get in front of him then get out :p mate ive just had a accident myself a few weeks ago i now how u feel its awful hope it dont cost u to much :?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Adam - I understand mate - trouble is it all happens so fast and of course anyone reading the story will naturally see another way to your version or what about this and what about that . . .

However that is EXACTLY why an accident recording camera is such a damned useful idea. See other threads and sample vids from members

meanwhile - could have been worse . . . .

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Wouldn't have made any difference sadly.

You had insufficient stopping distance so when the guy in the Brava swerved you hit the Zaf. If he stopped cos his car cut out, child ran in the rd, car in front had a blow out the result would be the same.

I don't think an accident can would help in this case. It's an arse but if you hit someone from behind its almost 100% your fault regardless.

As you said try to expect the unexpected. Not on my high horse, I've been in 3 that were my fault and one that wasn't. -_-

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Without braking suddenly, to recover your safety gap after the Zaf pulled in front of you, and possibly causing a different collision behind you, there wasn't alot you could do mate. S*** happens, but if you treat EVERYONE on the road as if they're an idiot, you stand a better chance :wink:

·
Premium Member
2002 225 Coupe
3,869 Posts
Sounds almost exactly the right scenario for an accident fraud claim - car in front breaks suddenly to avoid a car making a dangerous manoeuvre in front of him, causing you to have an accident which you pay for. Seen it loads on tv. The guy in the first car was probably surprised you chased him and did a runner.

But if it was a genuine accident you're lucky he didn't take your number and report you to the police - if he thought you had a case of road rage and were chasing him for driving erraticly, possibly to use violence on him, then is it any wonder he did a runner and drove through a red to escape - id probably do the same thing if I thought my life was threatened.

Still, bad luck fella and I hope it's not too costly to repair..

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
it might just be me, but a Zaf, (a massivly inferior car) managed to slam on to avoid another car, and you went into him.. I would be asking myself, how did the zaf have enough time to stop, and i didn't. possibly the zaf was already covering the break pedal anticipating a Muppet on the road, meaning his reactions were much faster.. but i'm 100% sure if you ran the two cars side by side you'd outbreak a zaf all day.. therefore the moral of the story is... you obviously didn't have a safe enough stopping distance. and clearly the zaf did... the zaf driver also had quicker reaction time to hit the breaks than you did.. and if break lights move foot onto break pedal press then you need to reassess your driving...

TYRES ON TARMAC... give yourself a chance.. you have decent breaks on your motor.. and a good ABS system.. no way should you hit a car if it slams on... you should easy stop with room to spare.. I'd be more concerned about the guy behind you hitting you....

sorry to be the negative one.. but yes he cut the zaf up.. we've all make mistakes in a place we don't know, especially with roundabouts. the fact is the zaf driver stopped and avoided the accident, meaning all the other drivers read the situation better than you, the car that cut you up, while frustrating and very annoying was not involved with the accident and probably didn't see it... you however unfortuntly didn't rear the situation and was involved in a crash involving you and the zaf... hense you are at fault... as said you are in a far better car... something is obviously a miss, and it can only be driver error on your part...

if someone pulls out on you (the zaf) then back off... distance is distance.. if you saw him move over you should have been on the brakes anyway, where as he'd be on the gas so you should have easily out braked him....

Lets hope the brake fluid in you car has been changed in the last 2 years.. I belive some insurance companies are checking that now...

·
Registered
308 Posts
tony +1

If you see someone driving dangerously, give them (and the cars in front) extra room for braking - which they inevitably will.

The problem starts when people either side of you see your 'stopping distance' gap as room to put their car...

Chin up - look at it as experience gained for the future.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm sorry about your car mate, but remember this little saying!
"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!"
If you can't count 2 seconds between you and the car in front passing the same stationary object along a stretch of road, then you're too close!
Hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix! :?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Give the man a break....... Christ he's had an accident and I feel for you buddy!!

I like the way everyone is slating him for his driving.... none of you were there and if someone pulled in front of you and you hit them then you'd be all over this forum looking sympathy and swear blind it wasn't your fault!

I'm sorry but best will in the world even if you had the quickest reactions in the world you can't account for other peoples stupidity, lack of awareness and evasive manouvers...... hell the amount of times I have nearly been clobbered on round abouts by dickheads that think they are Lewis Fucking hamilton is unreal...... The right lane goes right around the round about and the left lane goes straight on, not.... the left lane is where you start, cut across everyone to the right hand lane to get a bolt straight line to go straight on!

A lot of accidents are caused by other people evassive manouvers and the person that actually caused the accident normally potters on oblivious to the fac they have just caused someones pride and joy to be smashed up...... the roads are full of pricks and I'm sorry one person cannot account for all of their actions.

*RANT OVER*

So lay off the lad, he's had a hard day due to no fault of his own (that anyone can prove) so a little sympathy from like minded people that share the same passion shouldn't go a miss!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.