Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is already my 3th question this month. Went to the dealers today, to check if they finished servicing my TT and if they discovered something new about my AUQ 225 TT (engine was probably rebuilt, all of the other parts are from APX except for the engine head). They started working on it when I came there, so I stayed for 3-4 hours to watch them work (gearbox oil, brake fluid, cambelt, water pump, tensioneer(s), haldex, driver's window repair, sump, engine compression check). They started with sump, then moved on to the cambelt, water pump and tensioneer, but as one tensioneer was missing (there should be two tensioneers, but I don't know how are the called in english), they stopped working on the engine and moved on to the haldex. They changed the haldex oil, but when I asked them about the filter, they told me that the filter doesn't need to be changed and is not part of the usual service?

Well anyways, they've run out of time and will continue their work tommorow. I'm sure that the mechanic working on my car had no idea of how to change the filter. What should I do? There will be someone else working on it tommorow as it's Saturday and they are only finishing the work that they've started today.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,551 Posts
Hi Bago, The "tensioner" in the Audi cambelt kit is actually a roller/pulley. The other tensioner is the hydraulic tensioner/damper, which is an extra & not part of the Audi cambelt kit, but should be replaced.
Haldex oil & filter every 40 k miles as stated.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to tell them tommorow (again), even though I told him (the mechanic) that I'm 100% sure that filter needs to be changed every 60k km.

PS:
It's Audi service, not just some random garage...

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
FWIW, according to the Bentley repair manual, BOTH are changed every 20K miles (well at least for US cars) and the Bentley was published under the authority of Audi of America.

I doubt your brit-haldex or haldex filter is more robust than ours. :wink:

cheers.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked the car today and went for a "short" (250 miles :p ) test drive. I told them about haldex, but they've told that haldex filter doesn't need to be changed on ealier models and it can not be changed. My TT was made in '99.

The works on the car haven't been yet finished, they have to fix the driver's window wire. But, they changed the water pump and the sump and when I went for the test drive and I parked for about 2 hours, when I returned there was a small oil leak under the car. Maybe they didn't sealed the sump well enough? And the car went to 100°C for quite a few times, usual temp was at about 95-96°C. When it went to 100°C after 2nd time, I've stopped and bought some water and filled up the expansion tank as it was 2 cm below minimum. It took me exactly 1l to fill the expansion tank to the level at which it should be.

PS:
I payed about 750€ for the sump, hydraulic tensioneer, cambelt, haldex oil change, water pump, oil filter, cambelt tensioneer + all the work. About 150€-250€ left to pay for fixing the driver's window.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I forgot to mention; when I turn the key in the ignition on and the lights light up on the dash, there's the engine light missing. And ABS light was on for a while, but when I turned the engine off and then back on it dissapeared.

Should there be an engine light on '99 model?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm no expert but I also have a 99 APX and can tell you that the haldex filter can definitely and should definitely get changed. Also in relation to the engine light there is no "engine" light just the EPC light on mine and I'm told this is correct at this age.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to the service today, the quote for the driver's window raised from 100-250€ to about 300€ (I'm not sure if I'm going to repair the window now, it'd be cheaper to buy a whole used driver's door). Talked to another mechanic, which told me that they are going to change the haldex filter but it's not on stock (even though they told me before that it cannot be changed).

Also found an oil leak under the car, discovered it was a crack in the sump (that's the new sump, bought it 5 days ago, but it's an aftermarket one as it only cost 110€, OEM costs 180€). [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]
Hoping to get a refund from the company that sold me the sump + refund for the money spent on changing the sump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.