Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I'm going to tackle my wheels (six spoke 17") over the weekend!

They're not in bad condition but have quite a few marks now so would benefit from a once over. The tyres will be staying on so I'm planning just a good sand and then spray and lacquer.

Has anyone used either the Halfords Silver or Steel spray paints? and if so was it anything like the original colour?

The alternative is the Wurth silver paint that is twice the price but more importantly I would have to order it so it may not be here by the weekend!

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
I used Halfords paint on a previous cars alloys. I was changing from silver to anthracite though, so wasnt worried about a colour match. They came up really well.

I sold the car not long after, but the guy that bought it off me said when once they chipped the paint would just peel off. Plus when the tyres were changed, all of the paint came straight off the rim.

I wouldnt do it again if i was after something that would last longer than a few months. Get them powercoated instead.

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
If you looking for a cheaper DIY solution I can recommend Hammerite smooth silver aerosol. A friend and I previously did two sets of alloys with this and the finish was amazing. At £5 a can, with no need for primer or even a lacquer it cost us £20 and a weekends work for both vehicles :wink:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ive used the Wurth silver paint on my TT wheels and also Simoniz silver paint from Halfords, but not the Halfords own brand silver paint, so cant comment on that brand.

The Simoniz silver paint wasnt a good colour match at all but the Wurth paint was virtually the same as original. I would therefore recommend the Wurth brand over the Simoniz.

When I painted my wheels, I removed the wheels, carefully masked off the tyres, prepared the wheel surfaces, sprayed on the silver paint followed by a couple of laquer coats. Result was really good and easily done, though time consuming.

When I last had the tyres changed, the fitted noted that the paint was slightly peeling on the rim edges, so if youre going to do it, you might want to consider deflating the tyres to get additional access behind the rim. This is how some of the mobile wheel refurb outfits do it.

Overall though its well worth doing and miles cheaper than the £50+ per wheel most companies charge. Also note that after a few thousand miles, like the rest of us, you will have new scuffs & chips, so you will have good experience for doing it again :roll:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

It looks like I'll not be going for the Halfords paint then but I think I'll get a tin of smooth hammerite and see what it looks like sprayed onto something else first. The colour match doesn't matter although something similar would be nice.

I did this a long time ago on an XR2 that I had; I can't remember what paint I used but I remember stripping the wheels right back using Nitromors, The TT wheels aren't too bad so I'm just going to rub them down first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.