Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a strange situation this morning. Ive had my TT about 4 weeks now fixing little niggly bits as i go so i thought id tackle the headlamp washer aliens as they werent working when the washer stalk was pulled.....Soo i switched out the burn out fuse thinking that was the problem but it wasnt still nothing, so i bought a new headlamp washer pump and replaced it and bingo we have action i tried 3-4 times to clear the air trapped in the line and finally it worked until the passenger side alien fired out about 20 feet in the air and water started pouring out everywhere. Im guessing the alien had a blockage and the pressure blew it out.

What i want to know is can you buy just the alien part not the whole unit? It has a part number on it but searching around i cant find it anywhere online. Im guessing that even Audi wont have it as they will sell it as a whole unit.

Im currently soaking the alien head in warm soapy water and seeing if itll free it up but one can hope.....

Any one else had this happen?

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a whole unit I'm afraid. And a dealer only part as far as I know. I've seen a few on E-Bay, but thet were all broken at the pipe connector. around £75 IIRC. Left and right specific.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I just replaced my passengers side Alien last week. £72 direct from Audi. The Aliens are specific for either side. When i received the new Alien i noticed that they have relocated the connector nearly 180 degrees around the base of the Alien compared with my old broken unit. Guess what problem i then had when re-fiitng? The hose was no longer long enough to reconnect everything back up! The inner hole diameter for the Alien piping is about 90-mm. I scoured around the garage looking at old hose pipes etc and they were all to big. I then came across an old washing pipe to connect the machine to the water mains and was amazed as it was the exact same diameter of pipe!

So my car now has part of a washing machine in her to keep her going lol!

I would have though that Audi would have put a note in there system stating anyone replacing the passenger Alien would need to order/source a new pipe as it would no longer be long enough. My car is a 2000 model so this may only affect earlier model cars but worth noting just incase!

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dooleyz said:
anyone got a spare i can buy? £72 for one is highly excessive
If you are lucky you might find one in a VAG breakers. Or really lucky, a general breakers.
I agree it is expensive for a few bits of plastic, some springs and a diaphragm.
BUT... it is a necessary part as the MOT now includes this if fitted to a car with Xenon(now spelt correctly) lights. :?

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
nickls13 said:
BUT... it is a necessary part as the MOT now includes this if fitted to a car with Zenon lights. :?
isn't it an "advisory" for now ? IE not a fail until the new rules have been in place for - a year is it ?

and what about the £10.75 "High Pressure Headlight Washer Pump Audi TT 98 on" to be found on eBay ? No good ? Or is that just a pump and not the alien itself (they all look the same to me - clueless, but love to save money).

I've also seen genuine Audi parts on there for £52 .. again, I assume its the right part but ... see above.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had my MOT carried out last month at Audi Coulsdon.

Sods Law that morning my Alien washer pump failed! The technician said that it was fine and only the windscreen washers are required to work for the MOT, so passed with flying colours in the end.

·
Registered
236 Posts
DesignerDaveTT said:
nickls13 said:
For official reference, Section 3.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-inf ... s-2010.pdf
The E-Bay item is not the part you need.
I guess the Audi technician had no idea of this yet, I was lucky in that case.
:D Good result for you though. The MOT is very subjective and god know's I've had some sheds passed by a guy called Stevie Wonder in the past.
That said; another main dealer not having a clue? :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this happen to me a few months back, changed fuse, then pump, then passenger alien self destructed.

I'm sure my alien wasn't quite £70 I seem to remember £60-£65 from TPS.

Was really pleased with myself as managed to replace it through the bottom bumper grill- had to contort my arm and hand in some strange directions but got it sorted!

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will definitely be contorting my arm into some strange ways as i really cant be bothered with the hassle of taking the whole bumper off can you remember what bolts are holding it on? and where the clip for the hose is?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Dooleyz said:
I will definitely be contorting my arm into some strange ways as i really cant be bothered with the hassle of taking the whole bumper off can you remember what bolts are holding it on? and where the clip for the hose is?
Trust me its a bumper off job for sure, five screws hold the Alien in place alone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts