Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are taking the car to France this summer, it's a TTS with xenons, is there a way to set them up for abroad without taking to the dealer or putting stickers on the headlights?

My dads A4 has a setting in the car that just adjusts them!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're close to someone that has the VAG software they will be able to do the same job as Audi, for much cheaper!

However, I have just come back from France and use the stickers. They list the TT with Xenon lights, and I didn't get any flashing from annoyed French people! Best thing about the stickers is you can put them on and take them off at the port meaning you haven't got poorly adjusted lights in any country, especially if you get off the boat late with your return journey.

They also came off easily when we returned with no glue residue, and no cracking of the lens.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
As above you need the VCDS to do the adjustment without the dealer. That adjustment simply aims the beam further downwards as opposed to blanking the kick-up part of the beam that's normally directed towards the pavement here.
Hence if you do this and then drive at night in France you view of the road will be restricted.

I've used stickers many times with no problems either from the natives or from them melting. The other advantage of them is that the local police can SEE that you've done something about the headlamps.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brittan said:
I've used stickers many times with no problems either from the natives or from them melting. The other advantage of them is that the local police can SEE that you've done something about the headlamps.
Good point about the police, ive been to Halfords and purchased the stick on ones. Makes the most sense.

For any other european travellers this summer... As far as I believe the fine for not holding the silly breathalisers is 7 Euro's, the cost at halfords is £6... Personally I saved the £6 for when I get stopped (slim chance).

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I know it's not a useful point, but newer MMI cars have an option to switch the headlights over. In fact, I believe the new A8 does it automatically for you when the nav detects you are in a different country. Another example of TT technology being at the bottom of the tree. :?

·
Registered
194 Posts
TondyTT said:
Good point about the police, ive been to Halfords and purchased the stick on ones. Makes the most sense.

For any other european travellers this summer... As far as I believe the fine for not holding the silly breathalisers is 7 Euro's, the cost at halfords is £6... Personally I saved the £6 for when I get stopped (slim chance).
Good point - unless the police use it as an excuse to check everything in your car, high-vis jacket within reach of driver etc.. Guess you can always do a Clarkson and just wear it :lol: Also heard that if you use one of your twin pack breathalysers then you're also breaking the law since you must have one to spare at any time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The other thing I would recommend is a blindspot mirror for the LH mirror. I very nearly got caught out when accelerating pulling onto a motorway, accelerating to go past a truck. It makes you realize that the vision from the TT is a little limited. That said it was one incident in about 2500 miles, but a £3 mirror would have avoided it.

You can always take it off when you get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts