Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plot thickens, I just found metal shavings on top of the tube going between the inter coolers. Also something green is leaking somewhere, and I have close to zero knowledge about how to fix a car, this is going to be fun:)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I suspect you have a large hole somewhere in the block, hope i am wrong. [smiley=bigcry.gif]

p.s. you don't happen to suffer from industrial deafness, because if you were driving at the time
the balloon went up you could not help but notice the din under the bonnet :eek:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I take it they are steel, is there any numbers on them and as said do they or would they all go together? We're they wet with oil or anything? I would get it checked over before starting it, as said they do not look good. Green as in coolant colour? Try to work up from the metal shavings looking for anything out of the ordinary, take the plastic trim off to get a better look. Any signs of damage in the radiator fans etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The curvy bar bit fits into the button shaped slotted bit, might have ben two button shaped bits looking at the pieces, no stamped numbers or letters, weight is like steel but very shiny like fresh alu. The car is fairly low milage and has not been crashed so now I'm thinking that the previous owner might have dropped something down( fools hope I guess).

Pulled off all covers in the wheel wells, bottom plate, bumper etc to get a better look (audi did not make this easy for a novice..) and I could not identify where the bits came from. Metal shavings on top of the inter cooler pipe on the left hand side, viewed from the front. Also the fan on that side looked worn down on the blades/rim.
As the car ran fine before i found the suspect parts I took a chance and started it again without incident.

Did find my cooler leak, secondary aux pump has a very slow drip, new part ordered earlier as the bushes are worn down an my assembly of it obviously has left something to be desired.
Also found various other things that needs attention like slipped plastic bushing on the ARB, worn cable protection sleeves and the list goes on.

This was supposed to just be an easy fun driving car, but it seems that I will be forced to learn to wrench on it and car maintanence is my new found hobby..
Sevral minor issues that I have ignored will now have to be fixed so expect some questions in the future :) (And I do google search the forum as much as I can)

The list so far is : Swap ARBs, front and back, fix aircon (fault 22.1, and 15.3, only blows hot air) Swap Aux cooling pump, refurbish seats, do the timing belt for peace of mind, somehow get my Iphone hooked up to the radio, swap front windshield as it is cracked, change all fluids for piece of mind just to start with.

This is the car as I got it, the front is back to original now, the wing is off and the racing chairs and rollcage is out:

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the offer, but have the full interior allready.
Couple of observations so far, the green fluid was not coolant, should have figuered that out right away, but it was late.
It is power steering fluid and the power steering was not sounding nice so decided not to drive the car today, first wise thing I done since i decided that a TT would be cool.
AC compressor is cracked, might be a hole in it as it is abit hard to see and I'm to angry to bother to look at it any more, the mystery bits might have come from the compressor inside, autopsy will decide that at a later date. Still need to find what part of the power steering circuit that got taken out and make sure that I really find the origin of the mystery bits. Does anybody have an exploded view of a Sanden compressor?

Wife not to happy right now has I have managed to book her car into the garage tomorrow and she was planning on using the TT.

f

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
May have just been low any way . Etka for pics of the compressor pump but it's not an exploded view . Just a unit with part number but may give you some idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.