Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right drivin home from wrk, low oil come on, drive another mile to mates,, go get oil

add litre to car, oils registered fine

start it, runs fine nothing irregular,, but rev it,,white/blue smoke??

no oil in water
no water in oil
oil healthy color
car boosting fine no wierd noises
no oil in the tip either

only thing i can add is tht the oil cap off when running, its bit smokey.condensation cant tell really im just panicing :/

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am no mechanic so this is a long shot but maybe the wrong grade of oil is in the engine - I have seen the sympotoms you state with crap oil in an A4 years ago.

I'm confident someone will come along with more knowledge than I have.

Peter

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,360 Posts
Hi Boo, With the oil filling cap off, you will be causing week mixture, as extra air is being drawn into induction system, but not registered by MAF, so will cause probs. Are you sure you haven't overfilled oil ?
Hoggy. :D

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
Sounds like you've had oil starvation and a loss of pressure to cause damage to likely the turbo bearings - but did the oil pressure light warming come on?

Alternatively you've been losing oil through worm turbo seals causing the low level light to come on and you to now notice the smoke - I'd guess :?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
over filling could be possible, as i snappd my dipstik cased and used one of an agu temorary,, so not sure :( but just ran it fr while, water levels ok, ect

no oil pressure warning just the oil level (yellow)

just had the tip off turbine spins nice, play is normal tiny ammount ect

intercooler pipe is good, just the normal few drips from the breather system

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
boo:) said:
over filling could be possible, as i snappd my dipstik cased and used one of an agu temorary,, so not sure :(
Im thinking either this or the turbo seals

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,360 Posts
Hi boo, over filling can cause engine damage as well as cat. I would get dipstick tube replaced before running her anymore.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it was turbo related wdnt the pressure warning come up??

could it be tht i overfilled it a lil and mixed oils??

cause i wasnt sure wat was in it so just went fr the 5w/40 vw approved ??

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
mixing oils wont cause that much of an issue, if at all.

Over filling can and will damage the engine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oil light came on when i was driving

i chnged the f=thermo, in the prcess snappd the dipstik tube, so i used one of my a3 1.8t (agu) which seemd the same length ect so used tht with the tt stik

oil was bit low then

but wen i check earlier befre getting oil dipstick was very low hence light (i believe) so went get oil, toppd it up , gave it 1l 5w30 nd it registerd on the hash marks half way

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I agree with the other replies, turbo seals would be my first thought.

You wont see much if any oil in the TIP as this is upstream of the blower and any oil will be evident downstream..... the intercooler or intercoolers might well be brimming with oil....
If a turbo lets go badly, it will hemorrage oil into the air inlet, burn some (white/blue smoke) and eventually kill the CAT....

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
If the oil goes into the inlet it gets burnt in the engine and the smoke tends to be blue but if it leaks into the exhaust side it tends to be white, as there's no oxygen to burn it, so it just gets vaporised.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i must admit this is the best forum i have been on :) replys are quick and plenty of help

big thanks to everyone :p

right back on track, went pentraeth in anglesea today,,100 mile round trip,,what a waste of time they ,,,ochhhh dnt wanna explain

right so cars back home , looks like ill be taking it off the road and starting with teh bassis,,,, drain the oil (stop mess)

take exhaust off look for deposits of oil,, if so remove turbo

remove turbo inspect, get mate (engineer) to inspect it, if falulty (hopefully) ill be happy and get it sorted (does anyone know of a place where you can part ex your ko4 for a refurbished one with a warranty...if not good place for reconditioned or new turbo?? please

if turbo is ok,,,compression test to see if its piston or rings (worst case)

so off the road she goes, and hopefully pik up a mk3 16v ths weekend to replace the tt whilst under repairs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts