Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has the head gasket gone??
so we replaced CCM recoded the key fob and it all seemed to be great.
Took it to a garage and the guy pulled the dipstick and A) there was no oil B) lump of cream half way up dipstick

there is some white smoke coming out back when cold..
did sniff test which was ok
When we put the dipstick back in there was no oil but also no creamy residue
Not loosing coolant
Heaters are working fine kicking out hot air
But garage have said the head gasket has gone… is that likely?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Grey Watch
Automotive tire Tire Fluid Rim Tread
Food Liquid Fluid Ingredient Tableware
Fluid Cameras & optics Food Liquid Camera lens
Wood Coin Table Currency Button

Attachments

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,702 Posts
Hi Very rare for HG failure on TT.. No oil on dipstick is more worrying o_O
Hoggy.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the head gasket gone??
so we replaced CCM recoded the key fob and it all seemed to be great.
Took it to a garage and the guy pulled the dipstick and A) there was no oil B) lump of cream half way up dipstick

there is some white smoke coming out back when cold..
did sniff test which was ok
When we put the dipstick back in there was no oil but also no creamy residue
Not loosing coolant
Heaters are working fine kicking out hot air
But garage have said the head gasket has gone… is that likely?
Hi Very rare for HG failure on TT.. No oil on dipstick is more worrying o_O
Hoggy.:)
so do you think no oil on dipstick is because the oil hasn’t been topped up as much as it should have been or could this be the result of a mechanical failure??? Or just a owner failure lol??

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,702 Posts
so do you think no oil on dipstick is because the oil hasn’t been topped up as much as it should have been or could this be the result of a mechanical failure??? Or just a owner failure lol??
Hi, You will soon have a mechanical failure & wrecked engine if don't get that oil topped up to the correct level. Owner failure:mad:
Hoggy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, You will soon have a mechanical failure & wrecked engine if don't get that oil topped up to the correct level. Owner failure:mad:
Hoggy :)
On thanks Hoggy hopefully not to much damage then and an oil change and new oil will rectify it. Fingers crossed it’s not the head gasket! You’ve given me some hope though!

·
Administrator
95,702 Posts
On thanks Hoggy hopefully not to much damage then and an oil change and new oil will rectify it. Fingers crossed it’s not the head gasket! You’ve given me some hope though!
Hi, Ensure you top the oil up to correct level on dipstick before driving it any further.
Hoggy. :)

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
The head gasket will be fine it's the lack of care that the car gets that wrong, unless the car has a oil leak/burning issue it takes a lot of i cant be arsed to check the oil level to get to this stage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The head gasket will be fine it's the lack of care that the car gets that wrong, unless the car has a oil leak/burning issue it takes a lot of i cant be arsed to check the oil level to get to this stage.
I have to say it’s bad car ownership but not on my part it’s the hubbies car. I think there were that many little things wrong with it that the simple things that always need checking fell to the way side! I’ll kick him up the arse and tell him to let this be a warning as it could have been a seized engine. Hopefully not to much damage!

·
Administrator
95,702 Posts
Will do thanks. We did top the oil up but not enough I think. I will do it before driving it!
Hi, Add a little at a time on a level surface & don't overfill it
Hoggy. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts