Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking for a MK1 TT. Started out looking for a cheap winter hack for my wife to use over winters so that she would not be stuck with her big engine rear wheel drive car.
After looking around decide that maybe we spend a bit more and get a 225 in good condition, or should we look for a V6. Now at the point of looking for a QS and I will sell my daily driver as I don't use it anymore. Been sucked in to the TT bug.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,368 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the TTF.
My standard reply for would be Mk1 owners

Service history is very important.
Cambelt/water pump 75K miles or 5 years which ever comes first.
Dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly & coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
If it has xenon headlights, make sure the headlight washers work, MOT fail. N/A in UK now.

3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable & a nicer exhaust note.
V6 Chain wear can be checked using VagCom, very expensive to replace.
DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual. Expensive to repair, but probably no more expensive than a manuals clutch.
Check no delay when pulling away & no juddering when reversing slowly while turning up an incline or into a tight parking space.

Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
A bad TT, could be the most expensive car you've ever bought.
As I've just posted in a recent post, there is no such thing as a cheap TT, before or after purchase.

Roadsters, check roof operation thorougly & carpets for damp, especially in the rear. Roof drains block easily & damp can cause lot of future probs in rest of car.

I'll move your post into the MK1 section you should get more replies.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
83,935 Posts
Welcome 😁

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, and best winter car I had was a Mk4 Golf with Continental Winter tyres on. Still flogged it and raised a Pajero 5"with big knobbly tyres on. That was unstoppable- especially when a village on the way home was shut due to snow one time and I had to go down a green lane instead.... nayway, I digress... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts