Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name's Trix and i'm from Bedfordshire.

I'm looking to purchase a TT next August just in time for my 25th bday, but i have some saving to do in the mean time. I currently drive a 1.7 CDTI SRI Corsa, had it for 2yrs in Dec, whilst its been so cheap to run but nippy too i feel like its time for something a little more grown up with a bit more oomph.
not the best pic but he looks like this

Since i got my mitts on my driving license i've always had my heart set on the MK1 TT coupe 225, i'm hoping to get a black one with hopefully red leather, but they are few and far between. My budget depending on savings and the sale of my car will be around £6500

this is exactly what i'm looking for with the alloys n all

now i don't have alot of knowledge of this subject, hence the reason for joining so i would like to find out the following:

1. running costs. MPG, tax, Services ect,
2. Things to look out for when buying one.
3. Other things optional extras or models to look out for when buying.
4. What is likely to go wrong/common faults with TTs.

cheers for any help :)

·
Registered
84,230 Posts
Welcome try a search lots of info on all the questions you asked

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,551 Posts
Hi Trix, Welcome to the TTF..
Service history is very important. cambelt/water pump every 65k miles or 5 years which ever comes first, dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly, coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
Get written confirmation of cambelt/water pump change or reduce price by £500 & get it replaced ASAP.
3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable, DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual.& a nicer exhaust note.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi Trix, Welcome to the TTF..
Service history is very important. cambelt/water pump every 65k miles or 5 years which ever comes first, dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly, coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
Get written confirmation of cambelt/water pump change or reduce price by £500 & get it replaced ASAP.
3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable, DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual.& a nicer exhaust note.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
Hoggy. :D
thanks hoggy :) really appreciate your reply was the answers i was looking for.
i had seen a bit about dashpods but nothing else really.

The DSG went on my ex' a3, maybe thats just an audi thing :\
Might go do a few test drives over a year to get a feel for them, think it will be well worth the while. but i still got another year utill im ready to purchase one but its always good to do your home work :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
... like Hoggy says- Cambelt, water pump and good service history are a must ... I can only speak from my experience, I bought my first TT late last year and looked at quite a few, the more you look at, the more you get a feel for something that's not quite right- I looked at a few where the owners were moving them on after having them for less than a year, and they were sketchy at best with very few receipts for bits and pieces they were claiming they'd had done. Check all the electrics too, again as Hoggy says- the dashpod is a main problem area.
Don't be put off by high-ish mileage cars, a lot of these cars are over 10 years old now, I test drove a couple of 225 Quattros with over 100k and they still drove really well with nice tight gear changes... ideally find one with an owner who is an enthusiast (there are always cars for sale on the forum that have been taken care of) and be prepared to travel for something that ticks all the boxes.
As for running costs- again it's all personal- dependant on how you drive, what sort of journeys you make etc. When I do shortish journeys in my 225 Quattro I'm getting anywhere between 26-28mpg and on a longer journey I can hit 35mpg... those figures can be adjusted depending on how hard you drive it and state of tune (my has a stage 1 re-map).
Insurance will be age dependent on the driver again, but I got a quote at the same time as I was looking for the TT for a Subaru imprezza WRX (not even the STI) and was quoted well over a grand!! My insurance on the TT however is around £450 a year... and it's a hell of a lot better looking car.
Obviously whichever TT you end up going for it will have cost upwards of £26-28,000 new, so it's not going to be as cheap to maintain as your Corsa, but if you find the right one it's worth it- it's only my personal opinion, but good MK1 TT's are only going to get more desirable the harder they are to find, so take your time finding the best you can.
Optional extras worth looking for would probably be the full nappa leather interior and the BOSE stereo... but it's all about what tickle's your pickle.
Good luck with your saving, and hope you find what you're after!
:p
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks steve :) thats an awesome reply!

i've looked at ins the other month and its only like an extra 200 a year. but how much is road tax?

i was put off a car with high mileage, but it is always something to consider, might broaden my search too.

i would say i'm a spirited driver in my corsa, so it can range anything from 450-550 miles a tank.
I doubt i'd to be too heavy footed in the TT as it has there power there already.

·
Registered
84,230 Posts
Road tax on a 225 is about £260 a year

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
trix88 said:
I would say i'm a spirited driver in my corsa, so it can range anything from 450-550 miles a tank.
I doubt i'd to be too heavy footed in the TT as it has there power there already.
... you see, I read 'spirited driver' as 'lead-footed, drag-strip queen' ... :p

... Believe me- if you work out what you get per tank in terms of fuel economy then re-think the TT, I try not to think about how Shell are taking down my trousers and spanking me at the pumps for their V-Power, but it's all something you come to readily accept owning a TT, and it's worth it because every time time you return to your car in a car park, you will look at it and fall in love with it all over again... and every time you stomp the loud pedal you will think that the corsa just didn't quite cut it ... they are not perfect, but when you see another TT travelling in the opposite direction- you'll remember how good they look, and how great you look in it (obviously this is probably more applicable to a 24 year old lady, rather than myself!) ... :?

Why not get a feel of the atmosphere, and get to see a few cherished examples by getting yourself along to Audi's in the Park on Sunday 12th August at Wicksteed Park, it's pretty local to you, (you'll have to bunk off Church, or whatever it is that 24 year old girls do nowadays ... :oops: )
...Besides, we could do with making sure it's not all middle-aged men in cardigans with elbow patches and string backed driving gloves ...
I think at last count there were approaching 40 TT's from owners club members and there'll be other forum members there too no doubt! ...
Keep saving the pennies.
Steve

:p

http://www.audisinthepark.co.uk/index.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.