Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have got the living-room upside down running speaker cables etc under the carpet today :evil:

As regards the front left and right tallboy speakers (5.1 system) is it best to place them as far as possible in the corners of the room or either side of the tv or makes no odds? Tv is mounted on the wall by the way. I assume in the corners of the room is best but this isn't easy with bookcases and other furniture in the corners etc.

TIA

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Putting them in the corners will make the sound boomy - equally space them each side of the TV - about 3m apart should do it. Depends how far you sit from the TV. Just position them as you would normal stereo speakers.

James

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's all about your position relative to the TV. Ideally each front spkr would be equidistant from the telly, but there should be greater distance from you to each speaker (and you to the TV) than there is between the speakers, otherwise the sound reaches you quicker than it can cover the soundstage in front of you, resulting in a 'hole' in the sound in the middle of the room.

·
Registered
296 Posts
penfold said:
It's all about your position relative to the TV. Ideally each front spkr would be equidistant from the telly, but there should be greater distance from you to each speaker (and you to the TV) than there is between the speakers, otherwise the sound reaches you quicker than it can cover the soundstage in front of you, resulting in a 'hole' in the sound in the middle of the room.
Yep good advice. If the distance between them is greater than the distance from you to them then you will get a "hole in the middle effect"

Another point of note is that each time you shift them you MUST run the auto set-up feature on your system if it has one or do it manually.

If you do not the processor in the system/amp/receiver will be sending signals and sounds to speakers at the wrong time relative to your listen position.

What system do you have mate?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skydiver said:
penfold said:
Yep good advice. If the distance between them is greater than the distance from you to them then you will get a "hole in the middle effect"

Another point of note is that each time you shift them you MUST run the auto set-up feature on your system if it has one or do it manually.

If you do not the processor in the system/amp/receiver will be sending signals and sounds to speakers at the wrong time relative to your listen position.

What system do you have mate?
Thanks for all the replies :)

I got the LG HT902TB - a 'budget' system but was recently What Hi-Fi magazine's best buy in this price range so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's already an improvement having the 'normal' tv sound through the front 2 speakers instead of the small speaker in the tv itself but I haven't been able to check the system out properly yet as I bought a 1 metre long HMDI cable which isn't long enough so once I've replaced it I'll be able to go through the set-up process and watch a DVD with the full gubbins.

By the way - I paid £40 for the HDMI cable. Is this a reasonable price for an entry level cable? God only knows how much a 3 metre one will cost.

·
Registered
296 Posts
HDMI cables are attracting a lot of debate on price. When I had my mega expensive Hi-Fi system my speaker cable was £670.00 :eek:

The difference now is that HDMI is digital so the argument is that a cheap cable is just as good a cheap one.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skydiver said:
HDMI cables are attracting a lot of debate on price. When I had my mega expensive Hi-Fi system my speaker cable was £670.00 :eek:

The difference now is that HDMI is digital so the argument is that a cheap cable is just as good a cheap one.
£670????!!!!!! - Christ, for that price I'd want it delivered and installed by a team of lap-dancers!

I've had a butchers on Amazon and they have several 3 foot HDMI cables for about £8 with lots of positive buyer reviews so I'm going to return the £40 one to Empire Direct and order myself one of those.

Thanks for your help :D

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
coupe-sport said:
Go for QED
That's what I've got. QED for my Blu-ray player and an Ixos for my Virgin HD box. Using 'cheap' cables usually introduces 'sparklies' on your panel, especially running at full 1080p.

You don't have to pay the earth for a decent HDMI cable, I think mine cost just under a £100 for both. Just make sure they are 1080p compatible.

:)

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
The only really worthwhile advice I can give is move them around until the balance, imaging and soundstage all get as good as you can get them. If the speakers are ported and you want to put them more into the corners, consider using some sort of foam bung in the ports. Generally speaking though you're likely to get a more open, less boxy and boomy sound by moving them out into some free air. Also experiment with how much you angle them in as this can have a big effect on balance (the tweeter is likely to have a muh steeper off-axis roll-off than the other drivers) and imaging. Don't be afraid to experiment. If it sounds better to you, it is better - but don't be won over by quick listens - it can take a while for a fatiguing sound to be obvious.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all once again.

At the moment the front two speakers are literally either side of where the tv sits on the wall, the rear two are either side of where I sit, each one about 1.5 metres away from my sitting position. The sub-woofer is behind an armchair against the same wall as the tv (I've been told it doesn't really matter where that goes?). The centre speaker is sitting just below the tv on the wall itself.

Bit frustrating as, due to my HMDI cable cock-up, I haven't got it fully set up yet to really hear what it can do. I naively thought sound would come out of all of the speakers just watching 'normal' television but I assume this only happens when watching a DVD. At the moment sound just comes out of the front two, which is an improvement anyway.

I've ordered a cheapo HMDI cable via Amazon to see what it's like - for the sake of £8.00 it won't hurt if it turns out I need to buy a more expensive one. I bought an optical cable for £20.00 from the shop and there are some on Amazon for £3.25! Trial and error I guess when you don't know what you're doing!

Thinking about it, until the HMDI cable arrives, I assume I can connect the system up to the tv using a scart cable? At the moment I have Sky+ box to tv and the optical cable between the Sky box and the home cinema box. Then if I bung a DVD in I can at least go through the speaker set up routine and actually hear something from the other speakers.

I really must learn to read the instructions on stuff when I buy one day, although getting help through forums such as this is much better I find. You can't buy or read about experience!

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
It does the job well. It's 1080i upscaling is VERY good for SD, which makes watching some channels that broadcast in a very low rate, quite bearable on my 46" panel (ITV 4 for example). Having two tuners that allow you to record whilst watching a 3rd channel is handy, and it also handles BBC HD very well. I've not had any problems so far, but it can be occasionally be a little clunky, sticking on channels, requiring you to wait a couple of secs whilst it unjams itself.

A new box is due out soon, which co-incides with my renewal time, so I'll be trying to get one of those.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.