Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, took a little drive to the gym, and heard this nasty metallic noise, like the sound of a sh*t car's exhaust thats hanging off... I soon realised it was my car!!! :eek:

It only really happens when I pull away from stand still. It kinda sounds like its coming from the exhaust, but its not dragging or hanging or anything...? The sound is something like a resonating metallic noise, I'm sure its coming from the rear, but might not be.

I had the car jacked up and changed a rear spring yest, was thinking it may be related? It only reaaly happens when pulling away... anybody have a clue where to look and what it could be? It hasnt done this before I dont think.

:cry: :cry:

Paul

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spring looks 100% fine. I drove the car last night after fitting the spring and it didn't make a sound, I think...

My initial thoughts were that my exhaust was resonating and rattling, a horrible grinding noise like in the thread you posted Scotty... just seems odd it only happens pulling off, either in 1st or reverse... :?

Its def not a stone lodged in the brake disc, it really sounds like the exhaust, maybe a loose hanger or heat shield touching it... but wouldn't this be heard at all speeds?

I have had a look under, but didnt see anything obviously hanging low... and it doesnt happen if revving when stationary

Paul

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi there,

I think I know EXACTLY what it is. When it happened to me I was thinking "fk me is that MY car? Aw I hope its not the exhaust!". Its the heat shield which is situated in the middle of the car roughly under the driver and passenger seats.

With mine, one of the grommets that hold it on had corroded and part of the grommet was sitting on the heat sheild and rattling between the shield and exhaust.

I took it to ATS who raised it up on one of those huge ramps and tapped the shield till we worked the loose grommet out. Replacing that bolt is fiddly though as there is very little space and the exhaust was boiling LOL.

In the end we didnt replace the bolt as its not gonna fall off anyway. However as the piece of grommet was out the loud clanning rattling noise has gone but the shield does rattle against the bracket that it bolts too when starting her up or pulling out of a driveway for example.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it sound quite nasty when pulling off then? Think this may be my problem then... I was gonna try to record the sound but not sure it would come out well... sounds like a banger when pulling off, like the exhaust is dragging :cry:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah it sounded terrible, trust me Im sure its the same thing.

At least its easy to fix, well it is if you can get the car up on a ramp anyway.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Due its MOT next week so will have a poke around while its on the ramp :roll:

Cheers guys

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Righty ho.... took car in for MOT today, a nice cheap £35, no problems. While it was up on the ramp I had a look for the source of the noise...

It was indeed the heatshield, thelower metal plate covering the cats. It was only held on by two bolts, the others were missing/corroded away...

We made the decision to remove it as it has no marks on it, so never makes contact with any speed bumps etc... and now no horrible noise! :p

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

Paul

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
Nice result and cheap too :)

could be worth getting a new one or new bolts and put it back on , a hole in the cat could be expensive :wink:

Mark

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking it must be there to protect them, but is unmarked etc... but you're right mark, think I will leave it as is until it goes in for a service and ask them to reattach it properly. I made sure to keep hold of it :wink: I may even powder coat it so it looks pretty to the next MOT inspector :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.