11,513 Posts
2.0 TFSI (BWA) PCV Replacement

Original post can be found here -
PCV Replacement - 2.0 TFSI BWA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6ooj2bfz4fmk ... A.pdf?dl=0

And a YouTube from Dr. Sunka -
How to Replace PCV Valve on Audi TT Mk2

EngineLightOn.JPG

Usual disclaimers, this is what I did and it's up to you what you do. This is not a recommendation. This is based on a 2.0L TFSI Engine in a 56 Plate Mk2, Engine code BWA although I suspect there's some crossover with others.

Initial Problem & Diagnosis

Check Engine Light came on. An ODBII scan threw up the following errors:

• P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1
• P0441 - Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow
• P1093 - Bank 1, Fuel Measuring System 2, Malfunction
• P2279 - Leak in Air Intake System
• P2187 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle

Other symptoms were a rough idle on the engine and revs jumping around from 600-1200 at idle (especially when the engine was warm). With the engine cover off, immediately after turning the engine off I found there was a small nipple on the PCV drawing air in, until the vacuum in the crankcase had equalized with the atmosphere. N.b PCV valve also called the "breather valve" or "oil separator".

pic-1.JPG

Suspected the problem was a break in the rubber diaphragm within the circular part of the PCV valve. This means air can leak into the crank case through the nipple, reducing the vacuum and causing all the problems. Because the air leak comes in after the MAF sensor in the engine cover, the system is able to detect the leak but is unable to correct the fuel mixture for the unknown air flow from the leak, hence the lean mix and the rough idle.

Parts

The PCV valve used on this engine has been redesign by Audi a few times over the years. My existing PCV was part number 06F-129-101-F. To find yours you'll probably need to remove the existing PCV as the part number is written on the underside.

For the 2.0 FSI engine there seem to be two families of PCV valves. The current part numbers as far
as I am aware are. If you have old versions 06F-129-101-E/G then the new part is 06F-129-101-P. If you have old versions 06F-129-101-N/K/F/C then the new part is 06F-129-101-R.

But it's checking with your local dealer for your engine and latest info. I also ordered a replacement
gasket whilst I was there for what it's worth.

pic-2.JPG

So the PCV valve used on this engine has been redesign by Audi a few times over the years. Mine existing PCV was part number 06F-129-101-F. To find yours you'll probably need to remove the existing PCV as the part number is written on the underside. For the 2.0 FSI engine there seem to be two families of PCV valves. The current part numbers as far as I am aware are:

• If you have old versions 06F-129-101-E/G then the new part is 06F-129-101-P
• If you have old versions 06F-129-101-N/K/F/C then the new part is 06F-129-101-R

But it's checking with your local dealer for your engine and latest info. I also ordered a replacement gasket whilst I was there for what it's worth.

I've got the 06F-129-101-R for £36, genuine OEM from Audi Cardiff via EBay. The 06F-103-483-E gasket was Febi Bilstein from EBay for £10.

Fitting New Parts

Here's what I did:

1.) Firstly remove the engine cover
2.) Disconnect the MAF sensor cable, circled in green.
3.) Unclip the two metal clips and pull out the air intake, circled in blue.
4.) Unscrew the two screws circled in purple holding the air inlet and pull off plastic air intake hose.

The red circles show the rough locations of the 4 rubber poppers hold the cover on. The whole cover needs pulling up and for me it was a case of 'controlled brute force' to pull the cover off, working on each of the poppers in turn from bottom right and going clockwise. Take care not to break the plastic cover.

pic-3.JPG

Next is to remove the old PCV valve. There are two air hoses to disconnect by pinching the plastic coupling rings, circled in yellow. The hoses should pull off very easily with the rings pinched. There are 4 screws holding the PCV to the crankcase circled in orange. Torx T30 heads from memory. Remove all of these and the old PCV should drop off revealing the crankcase with the gasket fitted to the crank case.

pic-4.JPG

Fitting the new valve is the same in reverse. Only troublesome part for me was getting the rubber engine cover poppers off the mounts on the engine and putting them back into the engine cover for refitting as they didn't come off with the cover for me. Personally I added a bit of lube to make removal easier next time.

So there we go. I cleared the errors, fired up the engine and so far a nice smooth idle and no more error codes. Out of interest I then opened up the old PCV valve to see if the diaphragm was broken. Needless to say the photo below shows there was a 'small' hole.

pic-5.JPG

VR6 3.2 (BUB) PCV Diaphragm Replacement & Alternative Repair Option

For VR6 3.2 engine owners the PCV diaphragm is located inside the valve cover. When it fails, you'll get an engine warning light on the instrument cluster and there will be a whistle coming out of the vent hole just above the vent tube connection. When this happens the rubber diaphragm has failed and needs to be replaced.

This repair requires removing the intake manifold and valve cover in order to get to the Cyclone Oil Separator (COS) which sits in the "hump" behind the oil cap. The diaphragm is located inside the COS. Because Audi didn't see fit to provide a replacement COS or diaphragm, you have to replace the entire valve cover. Fortunately however, there are after market diaphragm replacement kits from companies like RKX Tech, but it still requires pulling the intake manifold and valve cover.

COS.JPG

VR6_PCVDiaphragm.JPG

An alternative option is to simply replace the TT vent tube with a PCV valve from a Toureg and block the valve cover vent hole so there are no leaks in the PCV system. So far this has worked successfully. The Toureg PCV also includes a connection for the N79 Heater which is identical to the TT vent tube.

You can read more about it here -

VR6 3.2 (BUB) PCV Diaphragm Replacement Alternative
https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... &t=1965923

BUB PCV-01.JPG

BUB PCV-02.JPG

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.