Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
If it wont budge which a lot dont get a gas bottle gun and heat it up, thats what I had to do. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
kazinak said:
Its dead easy ,but you will need the weel alignment afterwards .
Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
Clearly you haven't tried to replace a rusty old siezed one :roll:

Of everything I've ever done on a car (full engine rebuild inc grinding new valve seats, head gaskets, suspension, brakes, full engine transplants, new fuel tanks and lines, etc, etc, etc), the only thing to have beaten me is the track rod ends on the TT :(
Mine are so siezed, nothing will budge them. I've tried brute force, heating them up with a blow torch until they're red hot, dowsing them in WD40 etc. They have become one with the track rods and I reckon nothing will seaparate them now.

In theory, it's a really easy job (and in the past, on other cars they have been no trouble for me). Just unscrew the old ones and screw on the new ones. Usually you can get away with lightly heating them and a using bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You must be unlucky garth... :D i changed one of mine and it came off easy...15 minute job..

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
ades tt 180 said:
You must be unlucky garth... :D i changed one of mine and it came off easy...15 minute job..
I know, I went outside to replace mine and said to my wife: "I'll be back in 15 mins". Plenty of time based on previous experience. An hour later, I was still under the car with a blowtorch, swearing and cursing :roll:

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
Garth said:
kazinak said:
Its dead easy ,but you will need the weel alignment afterwards .
Clearly you haven't tried to replace a rusty old siezed one :roll:

Of everything I've ever done on a car (full engine rebuild inc grinding new valve seats, head gaskets, suspension, brakes, full engine transplants, new fuel tanks and lines, etc, etc, etc), the only thing to have beaten me is the track rod ends on the TT :(
Mine are so siezed, nothing will budge them. I've tried brute force, heating them up with a blow torch until they're red hot, dowsing them in WD40 etc. They have become one with the track rods and I reckon nothing will seaparate them now.

In theory, it's a really easy job (and in the past, on other cars they have been no trouble for me). Just unscrew the old ones and screw on the new ones. Usually you can get away with lightly heating them and a using bit of elbow grease.
My wasn't rusted at all , I've spend less than a hour to do both sides ;)

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
tom2018 said:
Thats great cheers, i was looking and thinking it looks quite easy, mine should come of ok they dont look to bad i hope :) lol

Thanks
Tom
Make sure you count the number of turns taking it off and put the new one on using the same number of turns. Providing, of course, that after comparing new and old, they are both the same length.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts