Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, the lockable handle for this cubby was broken when I got the car, the loose handle with locking barrel was fortunately still with the car. I’ve looked at it several times to see how I could repair it but I’m not sure if it’s missing anything - with what I’ve got, there doesn’t seem to be a simple way to fix it back in place.

I obviously want to keep the barrel as it is specific to my keys, thus a replacement seems unlikely to fix.

I heard this was a common fault, but have not seen anything about how to address it, so if anyone has had experience of the same or any idea of what I need to do to fix it, I’d be like prince Charles - all ears. Some pics below

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Grille Motor vehicle

Hand Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera

Hand Finger Musical instrument accessory Gadget Bumper

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I know it was a common problem on the mk1 but this is the first I’ve heard on the mk2.
They’re completely different so I’m no help at all…
Jez

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it was a common problem on the mk1 but this is the first I’ve heard on the mk2.
They’re completely different so I’m no help at all…
Jez
No worries mate, hopefully some one will be along soon with the solution! - just hope the suggestion isn’t to bodge it back on with glue 😂

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,580 Posts
That's a new one! I've not seen a broken bin lock before, at least not on a Mk2. :unsure:

Without sounding stupid, what exactly is broken and how did it break...?? Did the entire lock mechanism just fall out?

Took some pictures of mine (below), but I'm not sure if they will help or not since there's not that much to see with the assembly in place.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Is there a relationship between the rubber stops on the inside of the tray and the location of what look like retention stand-offs? I couldn't see inside if there's a screw or something...??
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Asphalt Bumper

·
Super Moderator
12,580 Posts
Unfortunately there's not much to go on from the Workshop Manual with regards to removing the bin latch. I suspect it's part of the entire Cover assembly item #15 (8J7 868 887) so the entire unit would probably have to be replaced. But you should be able to swap lock barrels.

Product Font Rectangle Line Parallel

Although the bin lock is not mentioned, it does provide instructions for removing the glove box lock - at noted the key has to be inserted in order to remove the barrel. So it would guess this may also be true for the center bin lock.

Font Vehicle Aircraft Parallel Logo

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@SwissJetPilot - the lock was detached when I got the car, it was sitting in the drivers door storage compartment, hence I don’t know what happened or if anything is missing. I’ve looked closely at both lock and lid and can’t really see anything that looks particularly damaged.

If you look at my pic of the lock, there’s a couple of springs which to me look they should be located within those “holes” you circled in red. Thing with that is that I think it would be impossible to compress then and relocate them because they’d be out of sight when trying to realign.

I did have one of those little rubber bungs off yesterday, couldn’t see much but if I get a torch, I may be able to see if there’s a screw present. It looks like there may well be as I’ve just zoomed in (below) and it looks like a screw thread/end is present. If I can get that plastic part off the lid, I may stand a chance…….

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Gas

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve had the little rubber bungs off, there is no fixing screw behind them, they’re merely a bung that sits against the horizontal section below the first aid kit to prevent rattling I imagine.

So, what I thought were screw ends visible seem to actually be some kind of plastic rivet that I can’t get to the back of to remove the plastic part that remains on the lid.

Right now I’m thinking that I’d have to butcher it off to stand any chance of fixing ☹

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'll have a look at mine but the 7zap picture here rear panel trim; stowage compartment; ski bag (clo... Audi TT/TTS Coupe/Roadster (ATT) 2008 year Audi EUROPA 867051 is equally unhelpful.
I wonder if 2 small protruding plastic clips gave broken off from the hatch side of your picture:

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Grille

Clipping on to the bronze looking rod on the far side of each of the springs on latch side of your picture:
Hand Finger Musical instrument accessory Gadget Bumper

Other than picking up the whole hatch ( I think there were some on ebay ? current ads part number 8J7 868 887 )

I think would stick the latch down with hot glue & screw/glue a couple of magnets to fix the trap door shut whilst thinking about it - good luck :)

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you’re onto something there, Johnny. I definitely think something IS missing as there doesn’t seem to be any way I can retain the locking mechanism onto the lid. Offering it up, it’s clear to see ….. I also don’t seem to be able to get the latches to operate when I hold the mechanism in place and try to open as if it were still attached.

I have seen a few complete assemblies on eBay, what I can’t really see though is how I could remove the locking barrel to replace with the one I have for my key…..I can’t see a way to do that without removing a locking handle that hasn’t busted off already.

7zap shows a locking barrel part number for the compartment, so maybe it is possible……

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@JohnnyFarmer - that’s a beautiful finger mate 😉

Its difficult to see what I might be “missing” but I’m betting something that holds the brass bar in place, hence the locking lever, has busted off. I think the bits missing are maybe as below

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood

·
Super Moderator
12,580 Posts
According to page 211 in Workshop Manual General Body Repairs, Interior - RG 68 69 70 72 74 - A005TT00420, you'll need to remove both rear bulkhead panels (1) in order to get to the brake element (17), e-clips (18) and axle (19) so you can remove the center console bin cover (15).

As noted in the parts list on LLL Parts list, there's two brake elements (17) and four e-clips (18) so what you see on this side is evidently duplicated on the other side.

The third photo (an eBay listing below) shows what I believe are the other two e-clips; so two outer and two inner.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Product Font Auto part Technology Circuit component

Material property Trigger Carbon Auto part Air gun

·
Super Moderator
12,580 Posts
Since the next challenge will be swapping lock barrels, I have emailed my contact at Audi Service (along with the picture below) to see if he can provide any information on how to do this. But since you already have one to play with, maybe you can figure it out based on the information from the glove box latch removal.

Do the little holes (red arrows) at the bottom of the lock have anything to do with the barrel?

It would be really interesting to know how the latch mechanism is attached to the door... :unsure:
Product Reflex camera Camera lens Font Digital camera

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@SwissJetPilot - great info as usual mate, thanks!

Regarding replacing the lock barrel, I think that’s gonna be the main problem, apart from the complete ball-ache of removing half the interior trim.
Green Product Gadget Audio equipment Font

Doctoring your pic, I have a feeling that the latch/lock comes as a complete assembly with it supposedly being permanently part of the plastic part left on the bin door. The green arrows show where I think the brass bar should pass through holes that should be part of the plastic moulding that for me have broken off.

The blue arrows - I thought - we’re retaining clips that could be released by inserting a flat blade screwdriver. There did seem to be some give when doing that, however it remained firmly attached at the top and I think the green circled area is another way it is attached from behind the visible mechanism.

The “holes” that your little red arrows are pointing to on the lock aren’t actually holes, they’re just imperfection from the manufacturing process.

I can’t see a way to remove the handle & lock from a lid that isn’t already broken, hence I can’t see a a way to remove the barrel as it seems that to do so, you need access to the rear of the handle which without having one that isn’t busted appears to be impossible!

It'll be interesting to see what your Audi contact reports back with, if the lock barrel can’t be replaced, seems little point in buying a second hand bin/lid.

·
Super Moderator
12,580 Posts
Well, no joy from Audi I'm afraid so it looks like you're going to be flying solo on this one. :(

"There is no repair guide for this little lock. But I think you have to break the plastic around and pull it out. I would leave the key inside the lock for installation and removal."

Since Audi doesn't have anything to go on, another approach is trying to contact Cadence Innovation as their name is on the tag. They might be willing to provide some information.

Cadence Innovation ks
Kubelíkova 604
Liberec
460 78 Czech Republic
[email protected]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your efforts SJP, really appreciated.

To be honest, I wasn’t holding out much hope. Strange that it appears all barrel locks can be bought - ignition, glovebox and storage bin - yet nothing about changing the storage bin one. I’ve seen methods for the others via googling but diddly squat on the bin lock. You’d have thought that there would be a way, if not it’s very poor design but that doesn’t come as much of a surprise.

I will reach out to those guys you linked to, they might enlighten me.

As for buying a replacement bin lid or complete assembly, that’s on hold until I find out if the lock is replaceable. If it isn’t, it’s a choice of try and bodge mine back together so it at least opens and closes - I can live without it locking, I guess……not like I’m storing the Crown Jewels in there, more likely a pair of sunglasses or the like 😂

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
If it isn’t, it’s a choice of try and bodge mine back together so it at least opens and closes - I can live without it locking, I guess……not like I’m storing the Crown Jewels in there, more likely a pair of sunglasses or the like 😂
I fixed my Mk1 cubby catch with a couple of tiny neodymium magnets and super-glue... :)

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
186 Posts
Silly question but the lock barrel is definitely unique to your key?
I can't see how that would work in the mass manufacturing production line.

Another possibility: could a brand new unit come with the lock barrel in a generic state ready to accept any key. On first locking it could set the barrel pins.
Some big expensive upvc doors have this feature.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts