Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,579 Posts
Nice little video over on the Mk1 site using magnets to sort out a broken bin latch. No reason why that concept can't be duplicated for the Mk2 center bin door. Obviously locking won't be possible, but yeah, sunglasses, hats and water bottles are all I store in there anyway.

If you opt for going with neodymium magnets, I've found J-B Weld Kwick epoxy has an excellent bond to ABS and most other plastics and as it's dark grey, it blends nicely.
Font Material property Drink Tints and shades Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@darrylmg - I think it must be key specific as 7zap mentions to keep one key functionality, to quote chassis number when ordering, which begs the question that if you can order a replacement barrel, there must be a way to replace it!!

Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

@SwissJetPilot - this magnet thing is a possibility, as above though, there must be a way to do this without resorting to home “hacks” with magnets and the like…..just hope I can find how to…..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That’s the easy part - the hard part would be how to remove a barrel from a used bin without having to break the handle off to replace it……kinda like chicken and the egg scenario 😂

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
The problem is his latch is already broken, so even hacking the barrel out won't really help. He needs to figure out how to remove it without damaging the latch. Because when he gets a new door, he will need to remove the existing barrel so he can remove it and replace it with his - all this without destroying the old barrel and/or the new bin door latch assembly and barrel.

Maybe once the key is inserted, it will allow you to pull the barrel out. I'm curious if that hole I mentioned previously has any impact on the barrel and latch - wondering if there's a small pin that needs to be pressed to release the barrel from the assembly.

This is used for the ignition lock barrel....
Font Circle Graphics

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Spot on SJP! 👍🏻 Actually, I don’t mind butchering what I’ve got, as long as there’s a way to fit my existing barrel to a working bin lid with a different barrel…..

Therein lies the conundrum

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
188 Posts
The problem is his latch is already broken, so even hacking the barrel out won't really help. He needs to figure out how to remove it without damaging the latch. Because when he gets a new door, he will need to remove the existing barrel so he can remove it and replace it with his - all this without destroying the old barrel and/or the new bin door latch assembly and barrel.

Maybe once the key is inserted, it will allow you to pull the barrel out. I'm curious if that hole I mentioned previously has any impact on the barrel and latch - wondering if there's a small pin that needs to be pressed to release the barrel from the assembly.

This is used for the ignition lock barrel....

View attachment 486425
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Removing (hacking it out) the existing barrel will show you how it's held in place. Just don't break the barrel itself. Sometimes it's the only way to find out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think I’m gonna have to have a much closer look at the latch that’s broken off with the locking barrel in to see if there’s a simple way to remove the barrel without having to get behind the lever itself, simply because with a new/used/unbroken lid, it appears currently there is no way to get access to the rear of it without breaking it off again…..

From the rear of my broken latch, the barrel looks like it’s kinda firmly locked in place

Gadget Film camera Camera accessory Machine Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
188 Posts
Is it possible that a new unit can only be purchased in 2 separate pieces (barrel and latch/door) with it being assembled together permanently?
I know it doesn't say on 7zap, but maybe a new lock means a new latch and door also?
What a puzzle you've got.

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
Hard to see from the photo, but it looks like if you can get a thin shim (strips of aluminum can) into these points between the barrel (can't tell if there are three or four) and what look like catch-tabs, it should release the barrel so you can pull it out.

Gently pry each one with a small flat blade screw driver, then insert a shim so it can't snap back, go around and repeat for all the catch-tabs and the barrel looks like it would come out.
Gas Camera accessory Auto part Machine Cameras & optics

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The problem with those vids is that the plastic part that is still attached to the lid is moulded in such a fashion that you can’t actually get to behind the barrel at all, thus rendering a replacement a bit futile because if I can’t get the barrel out of a working bin, I’m stuffed regardless

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
SJP, the problem with the shim idea is that because of the moulding of the plastic part still attached to the lid, it covers any access to the barrel. See below. This would prevent me from removing a barrel from a part that is in tact. The barrel sits inside this plastic moulding, so no access from underneath with the latch pulled open…

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bag Automotive design Grey

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I guess my one point of solace is that it seems possible to order a replacement barrel, so therefore it must be possible to change……god knows how though!!

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
It's impossible to tell from the pictures, and looking at mine I can tell either. However those holes are on yours, mine and JohnnyFarmers latch and since its in both sides of the assembly; the mounting plate and lever plate where the lock is located, there must be something going on there...? They are there for a reason...but what reason? It's the only thing I can see which would allow access to the barrel without destroying the assembly.

If you can carefully pry your barrel out, it may become evident what the hole is for...:unsure:
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just been out to the car and got the lock. Those things that look like holes definitely aren’t, well maybe they are to a degree, but I couldn’t even get a fine sewing needle into it, never mind some kind of removal tool. Pics show just how well the lock is secured from the rear

Finger Camera accessory Thumb Cameras & optics Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Motor vehicle

Gas Automotive tire Machine Auto part Engineering

21 - 40 of 44 Posts