Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently got a black mark 2 tt.

I love the look of the black tt, they are amazing but I have washed it 5 times since having it 3 weeks ago.. OCD lol.

It's because everything shows up on it like finger prints, rain, dirt etc. and I like a lovely clean car.

I wonder if anyone can recommend any products or have any tips to keep it cleaner longer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Widdlez said:
Hi guys, I recently got a black mark 2 tt.

I love the look of the black tt, they are amazing but I have washed it 5 times since having it 3 weeks ago.. OCD lol.

It's because everything shows up on it like finger prints, rain, dirt etc. and I like a lovely clean car.

I wonder if anyone can recommend any products or have any tips to keep it cleaner longer.

Thanks
Congrats on your car :p Black cars look stunning when they are clean but having owned a few black cars over the years the only thing i can suggest is to spray it a different colour :wink:
I never found anything to keep the dust /fingerprints off but a good polish/wax (i used Poorboys Black Hole or Dodo juice Supernatural) certainly helped the dust to slide off. 8)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome!

This won't give you a direct answer but hopefully there is some good guidance on what you can use to maintain the vehicle.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=228580

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
What's your cleaning regime?
Amazes me the amount of people who never wax their cars. Car won't stay clean longer but it's easier to keep clear. Wax 3 times a year, in between wash and maintain with a good detail spray like Dodo Juice Red Mist. I used it for the time last week and it's awesome stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I live in apartments meaning washing is out the window so I have to go car washing.

But what I will do after my next wash is wax it myself as it has a few war scars dotted around from the old stone warriors etc. and I'll look into the mist like you said

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Widdlez said:
Well I live in apartments meaning washing is out the window so I have to go car washing.

But what I will do after my next wash is wax it myself as it has a few war scars dotted around from the old stone warriors etc. and I'll look into the mist like you said
:eek: Car wash! Please say it's not one of those eastern block hand wash or garage car washes? I don't even let the dealer let his valet chimp lose on mine. There no where you can do it yourself?
Check out the show and shine section too, there's loads of good info there.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Go for the 'rat' look and don't bother cleaning it at all :-|

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wax the car or use some sort of sealant after washing it. Any dirt then sits on top of this layer and just comes off when it rains as the surface is 'slippery'.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Black is just a pain to keep clean but worth it when it is.

My two black cars have had lifeshine and that does between zero and nothing.

I've noticed mine scracthes as soon as look at it :x

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Ahh this reminds me when i had my MK5 Golf GTI. Was a pain to keep clean.

You cant keep it clean unless you leave it parked up in a garage but what you can do to make cleaning it easier and for it to have its shine for a big longer is the following:

- Wash it with some descent stuff R222 or Mag's or equivelant
- Use a claybar
- Dry it
- Apply some paintwork cleaning/polish lotion (R222 do a good one!)
- Seal it all with some descent wax (R222 do some nice wax which i use)

That will probably take you 3/4hrs.

I recommend doing it once every 2/3 months to protect the paintwork.
You'll find that once its been waxed that it will be much easier to clean and bugs and dirt will come off easily.
Also, with it being polished and waxed, in future washing will take not as long and you will notice that after awash teh shine will be restored (upto a period).

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
washmitt instead of sponge. Microfiber towel instead of chamois. On bucket to clean the washmitt, one for washing. Grit in the bucket to avoid the washmitt getting in contact with sand at the bottom of the bucket.

You can do a lot to prevent dark colours from getting dull and full of scratches. But at the end of the day... it's hard work keeping it wonderful even in bright sun light....

Personally, I'll never buy a dark car again.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Get yourself a cleaning regime, plenty info on here in the show and shine or have a read on cleanyourcar.co.uk.

As above, microfibre washmitt, a good microfibre drying towel and shed loads of microfibre cloths. Never put conditioner in the machine when you wash them. Once you get confident, move on to clay bar and pick a wax to suit. You will always get marks but try to mitigate as best as possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts