Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently fitted electrically adjustable seats but after waiting for ages I couldn't find any in the exact spec I wanted (red leather, heated, fully electrically adjustable) so I settled on black, non-heated ones and swapped over my existing heated seat padding and leather covers.

It isn't the easiest job but isn't too bad, and providing the plastics are the right colour for your car, no other parts need to be bought. The plastics are black on most cars but not all, and buying them from Audi isn't worthwhile for this, so check that first.

However, all are black on my car, except the back trim (red) but this can be reused anyway.

Part 1 - Remove seat
  1. This is tricky to explain so I have attached the workshop manual image. Press in point 3 and push to the right, while simultaneously pulling the headrest up and out. This point is on the left side of both seats.
    0.png

2. The seats are attached by 4x spline bolts. When refitting, tighten them to 40Nm. They are bulky to remove but putting the seat to its lowest height setting helps

Part 2 - Remove backrest from base
  1. Remove 4x spreader rivets on rear of trims. Push the centre out, don't lose them as they will be reused
    1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2. On the tunnel side of the seat, unscrew the bolt (T20) near the belt buckle and lift off the plastic trim
    2.jpg

3. On the sill side of the seat, use a flat screwdriver to pop off the plastic trim clips
    3.jpg

4. Then for electric seats, lift off plastic trim upwards and disconnect the connectors for the seat adjustment and lumbar support switches
    4a.jpg

Or for manual seats, start by prising off the reclining knob, which is held on by 3 clips
    4bi.jpg

Then remove the height adjustment pump handle by pushing a screwdriver into the retaining clip and pulling the handle off at the same time
    4bii.jpg

Then remove the 3x metal rail bolts (T25)
    4c.jpg

5. Release the fabric straps from the underside of the seat base
    5.jpg

6. Remove cable bracket from tube
    6.jpg

7. Remove bolt (T25) for cable bracket
    7.jpg

8. Unclip and disconnect the wires coming from the seat backrest and separate from those of the seat base (various connectors depending on spec for airbag, heating and electric adjustment)
    8.jpg

9. Unbolt 4x backrest bolts (M8 spline), feed wires out and then detach the backrest from the base. These are refitted to 35Nm
    9.jpg

Reactions: Barr_end

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 3 - Remove backrest padding
  1. Prise bottom of backrest cover out to release the 2 clips
    10.jpg

2. Pull down the edge of the leather to detach from the edge of the plastic cover
    11.jpg

3. Pull the leather out from around the edge of the cover. There is a plastic strip that can be prised with a screwdriver. Then pull out cover
    12.jpg

4. Prise off the strip that pulls the fabric tight to the seat frame but lifting it up out of the groove
    13.jpg

5. The side airbag needs to be removed. This has a single torx bolt (size) then slides up and out (no photos). Unclip and feed out the wiring (circled in photo). This is refitted to 10Nm. Take note of the way it is fitted, including the way the fabric is wrapped around it as it will need to be refitted in the reverse and it is quite tricky to do
    14.jpg

6. Remove the folding handle by first prising the outer trim piece, which will unclip in a few places. The handle itself needs to be pulled very firmly and it is quite difficult, but it will eventually come free (no photos)
  7. The seat padding and leather will now come away from the frame as one part (lumbar support version on left, standard on right)
    16.jpg

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Part 4 - Remove base padding

I don't have many photos for this but there aren't many steps.
  1. Unclip the plastic strips around the edges of the underside of the seat base. This is quite fiddly and I used a combination of small flat screwdrivers to prise it off
    1.jpg
  2. There is some double sided tape holding the front edge down, so carefully peel this off so that it doesn't damage the padding foam
This shows the seat bases with the padding removed (electric on the left, manual on the right). If you need to remove the seat belt buckles, tighten them back up to 34Nm. I don't have the size but they are a spline bolt
2.jpg

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Part 5 - rear seat backrest
  1. Prise the plastic trim off from around the folding handle
  2. Cut the cable ties off from the bottom brackets
    2.jpg

3. Unclip cable from brackets
    3.jpg

4. Unzip sides of backrest, 4x zips in total
    4.jpg

5. Prise out plastic clip strip with a flat screwdriver
    5.jpg

6. Remove fabric strap clip
    6.jpg

7. Remove padding and cover. It is held on with lots of double sided tape so be careful not to rip the padding

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guides are finished. Not the most common job to need doing but hopefully useful nonetheless

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I didn't, it would actually be quite tricky to remove the leather from the padding. I'd be worried it would be difficult to put back on properly, as there are wires that keep the leather in shake under there

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's difficult as it's brute force but step 8 above briefly explains

Basically the outer trim is prised off but can't be removed until the handle instead is removed. This pulls off but pulling very hard in an upwards direction. Will try and get a photo for that step

Some seat trim colours are discontinued so check if it's available before pulling it off in case it breaks. Though I did remove 4 without breaking them so they are quite strong

·
Registered
452 Posts
I recently fitted electrically adjustable seats but after waiting for ages I couldn't find any in the exact spec I wanted (red leather, heated, fully electrically adjustable) so I settled on black, non-heated ones and swapped over my existing heated seat padding and leather covers.

It isn't the easiest job but isn't too bad, and providing the plastics are the right colour for your car, no other parts need to be bought. The plastics are black on most cars but not all, and buying them from Audi isn't worthwhile for this, so check that first.

However, all are black on my car, except the back trim (red) but this can be reused anyway.

Part 1 - Remove seat
  1. This is tricky to explain so I have attached the workshop manual image. Press in point 3 and push to the right, while simultaneously pulling the headrest up and out. This point is on the left side of both seats.
    View attachment 413563
  2. The seats are attached by 4x spline bolts. When refitting, tighten them to 40Nm. They are bulky to remove but putting the seat to its lowest height setting helps

Part 2 - Remove backrest from base
  1. Remove 4x spreader rivets on rear of trims. Push the centre out, don't lose them as they will be reused
    View attachment 413445

View attachment 413447
  2. On the tunnel side of the seat, unscrew the bolt (T20) near the belt buckle and lift off the plastic trim
    View attachment 413461
  3. On the sill side of the seat, use a flat screwdriver to pop off the plastic trim clips
    View attachment 413483
  4. Then for electric seats, lift off plastic trim upwards and disconnect the connectors for the seat adjustment and lumbar support switches
    View attachment 413463

Or for manual seats, start by prising off the reclining knob, which is held on by 3 clips
    View attachment 413465

Then remove the height adjustment pump handle by pushing a screwdriver into the retaining clip and pulling the handle off at the same time
    View attachment 413467

Then remove the 3x metal rail bolts (T25)
    View attachment 413485
  5. Release the fabric straps from the underside of the seat base
    View attachment 413469
  6. Remove cable bracket from tube
    View attachment 413471
  7. Remove bolt (T25) for cable bracket
    View attachment 413473
  8. Unclip and disconnect the wires coming from the seat backrest and separate from those of the seat base (various connectors depending on spec for airbag, heating and electric adjustment)
    View attachment 413475
  9. Unbolt 4x backrest bolts (M8 spline), feed wires out and then detach the backrest from the base. These are refitted to 35Nm
    View attachment 413477
Hey I'm wondering if you could help me, I'm trying to remove the black plastic cover on the back of the seats to fix as its had some damage. Every time I try and prise the leather out away from the cover it just feels like its about to rip. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What part of the leather do you mean? The bottom corners of the strip around the sides/top?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What part of the leather do you mean? The bottom corners of the strip around the sides/top?
All of it around this bit of plastic trim, seems proper glued on can't seem to separate any of it feels like its gonna tear if I pull it any harder 😬 any advice would be great if you can think what I'm doing wrong

Window Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grey

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The leather has a black plastic strip sewn in. You can just about make it out in the photo of step 14

Starting at the bottom, prise it out with a small flat screwdriver. Once the edge is out, it's quite easy to pull it round

Reactions: jakon316
1 - 15 of 15 Posts