Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking to get themselves a TT, and have asked me to help them in their quest. They have seen this one on the Pee heads site http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4159857.htm and reading throught it all looks pretty good, especially for the money, but there's something that I am just not sure about, it seems a little bit too good to be true.
What do you lot think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
There is one fault to mention although if we have the time to take it to our local Audi specialist it will be rectified before sale; the ESP light remains on due to the steering wheel needing recalibrating with the steering angle sensor. The sensor was replaced by the previous owner; however it requires a piece of equipment called 'Vag Com' to reset the steering wheel to the zero position. Without this procedure, the steering angle sensor gives an incorrect reading and as a result the light illuminates and the Quattro system remains permanently on.
Personally would like to see it sorted or do a search here if is really just that simple. As for the remap would take advice about it but wouldn't stop me from buying it. Plus the usual AA vehicle inspection. But looks nice :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
One i dont think it will be making that bhp with just a remap celtic tuning are a bit optimistic with there bhp output most of the time, i had one done on my old gti.

Also for his mums car he seems to no alot about it? Just seems a bit odd, possibly his car hes just listed as his mums so that people dont think its been ragged around by a boy racer etc. best way is to go and see it and drive it :)

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Well it looks very nice - love the Daytona(?) grey and brown combo - but I would ask the owner to get the ESP problem fixed as a pre-condition of sale.

The other slight reservation I'd have is the belt/waterpump, which is going to need replacing again before too long (5 years or 50k interval I think), and I understand that costs about £500.

If your mate could get them to sort the ESP and knock it down a bit as well, he might have a really good buy. (Again, I'm not too familiar with 225s, but it seems a bit overpriced to me.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glslang said:
There is one fault to mention although if we have the time to take it to our local Audi specialist it will be rectified before sale; the ESP light remains on due to the steering wheel needing recalibrating with the steering angle sensor. The sensor was replaced by the previous owner; however it requires a piece of equipment called 'Vag Com' to reset the steering wheel to the zero position. Without this procedure, the steering angle sensor gives an incorrect reading and as a result the light illuminates and the Quattro system remains permanently on.
Personally would like to see it sorted or do a search here if is really just that simple. As for the remap would take advice about it but wouldn't stop me from buying it. Plus the usual AA vehicle inspection. But looks nice :p
That's what i thought. I think the bit that was niggling me was the guy made reference earlier in the ad to having had a few 225s, then mentions Vag Com as if he was'nt really sure what it did. Also the mammoth remap so his mum could potter about in it seemed a bit excessive and unnecessary. Maybe I'm being a bit too cautious because i don't want my mate to end up with a lemon. Really need to go and take a look and possibly even arrange to get it vagcom'd at inspection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nat11911 said:
Well it looks very nice - love the Daytona(?) grey and brown combo - but I would ask the owner to get the ESP problem fixed as a pre-condition of sale.

The other slight reservation I'd have is the belt/waterpump, which is going to need replacing again before too long (5 years or 50k interval I think), and I understand that costs about £500.

If your mate could get them to sort the ESP and knock it down a bit as well, he might have a really good buy. (Again, I'm not too familiar with 225s, but it seems a bit overpriced to me.)
ESP will need sorting first/ no question. The cam and waterpump I know I can get down locally for about £375. So he could knock that off the cost. The price is'nt too excessive i don't think it's a pretty rare interior/exterior combo and does look lovely. I think any decent TT is a hell of a lot of car for under 5k!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
tom2018 said:
Also for his mums car he seems to no alot about it? Tom
Good point Tom. Mum just 'potters about' in it - and she's into remapping and modding as well. Mmmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nat11911 said:
tom2018 said:
Also for his mums car he seems to no alot about it? Tom
Good point Tom. Mum just 'potters about' in it - and she's into remapping and modding as well. Mmmm.
Exactly! It just does not add up!!! I am thinking bought and insured in his mums name so he can thrash the nuts off it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Seams nice - he talks a lot but remember it is 12 years old and on 92k so price seams fair if in good condition. Lovely colour and interior.

He does seam to know a lot about the car and unsure why his Mums car would have a remap though lol. But I suppose I don't know her!! I suppose the V5 might provide clarity.

As mentioned previously - worth looking into the EML and ideally get an AA/RAC inspection.

There are lots of 'things to look out for' posts on here but other than that the car does look lovely.

Best thing to do is take a look!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
AdamG said:
Seams nice - he talks a lot but remember it is 12 years old and on 92k so price seams fair if in good condition. Lovely colour and interior.

He does seam to know a lot about the car and unsure why his Mums car would have a remap though lol. But I suppose I don't know her!! I suppose the V5 might provide clarity.

As mentioned previously - worth looking into the EML and ideally get an AA/RAC inspection.

There are lots of 'things to look out for' posts on here but other than that the car does look lovely.

Best thing to do is take a look!! :)
Oh and poke a few questions at the mother if you do take a look....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
tom2018 said:
One i dont think it will be making that bhp with just a remap celtic tuning are a bit optimistic with there bhp output most of the time, i had one done on my old gti.
I think if you just get a filter, 007 DV and a remap most people achieve the 260/265 bhp mark tbf....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
Wow the seller certainly can waffle on about that car. Dont be mesmerised by the hype. Thats not worth a jot. Sounds like a salesman to me!
Interesting that he mentions the steering angle sensor was replaced by the previous owner - yet he's saying they haven't sorted it. Little light bulb moment - why! And what consequences has that 'failure' to rectify had on the cars mechanicals?
He sounds far too knowledgable about his 'mums pottering car with remap'!
Naturally it could all be genuine but for me id want to meet face to face and see. As always get some background checking done on the vin and gov mot site. And a trustworthy inspection by a knowledgable third party before concidering seriously.
Finally, if I any doubt - walk. There are plenty of good TT's about.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
oceans7 said:
The price is'nt too excessive i don't think it's a pretty rare interior/exterior combo and does look lovely. I think any decent TT is a hell of a lot of car for under 5k!
Take your point. If when I bought my 3.2 there was one for sale with the same colour combo I'd have definitely paid more to get it.

My problem is that I'm looking at that 2000 1.8 for almost £5k, and comparing it to the likely sale price of my own late '04 V6 3.2 if I was to list it on an eBay auction. Mine is totally faultless, all servicing up to date, 4 new tyres, newish MOT/tax, 70k, yet I'd probably get bids up to about £4.5k, such is the state of the V6 market at the moment.

So yes, it probably isn't overpriced, it's the 3.2s that are underpriced. Thank goodness I'm not thinking of selling it! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
But why highlight ALL these issues if they're not genuine. Could be a double bluff but I'm sure plenty of people would look at the car and not even notice/realise these issues....

If it isn't too far I think it's worth taking a look.

Ask lots of questions to the mum as well and ask about insurance . If you're really cheeky you could ask to see insurance docs just to verify who the driver was lol....

At the end of the day if things don't seam 'right' then walk. Lots of others out there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AdamG said:
But why highlight ALL these issues if they're not genuine. Could be a double bluff but I'm sure plenty of people would look at the car and not even notice/realise these issues....

If it isn't too far I think it's worth taking a look.

Ask lots of questions to the mum as well and ask about insurance . If you're really cheeky you could ask to see insurance docs just to verify who the driver was lol....

At the end of the day if things don't seam 'right' then walk. Lots of others out there....
Yeah, I think we will definitely take a look. It is a bit of a trek down there, but it is just what he is after. If nothing else it'll be a day out in my TT :p Personally though, I'm not a big fan of the baseball stitching, but to each their own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
oceans7 said:
AdamG said:
But why highlight ALL these issues if they're not genuine. Could be a double bluff but I'm sure plenty of people would look at the car and not even notice/realise these issues....

If it isn't too far I think it's worth taking a look.

Ask lots of questions to the mum as well and ask about insurance . If you're really cheeky you could ask to see insurance docs just to verify who the driver was lol....

At the end of the day if things don't seam 'right' then walk. Lots of others out there....
Yeah, I think we will definitely take a look. It is a bit of a trek down there, but it is just what he is after. If nothing else it'll be a day out in my TT :p Personally though, I'm not a big fan of the baseball stitching, but to each their own.
Good man - let us know how you get on.

Not sure where you are but the weather down here is good so enjoy the drive if the weather holds out!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
neilc said:
Hmmmm , that ad does not add up to me. Be wary :?
Agreed - be wary but everyone wants to buy from a 'lady owner' and people often try and sell their cars as such. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the car and many of us on here have remaps and possibly drive a 'certain way'.

As said before, if it's not TOO far, take a look, ask lots of questions, do your research, check the MOT history, check the service history, be thorough and check everything you can yourself and if it all seams fine and he likes the car then get an AA/RAC inspection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AdamG said:
Just noticed he's in Cornwall - not South London/Sussex where it was serviced most of it's life - take the boooogie board!! [smiley=sunny.gif]
Yeah, even if the car is a mug, we can just go wakeboarding instead! And the coast road from sussex to cornwall is a beaut! Thanks for all the replies guys, right now i'm edging toward this ad being too good to be true. But we will see. I will let you know! Enjoy this damn fine day all you soft toppers, and you coups, just get that air con on and roll to the nearest beach! :p
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top