Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
I put 48.25 Litres today after 190miles :X damn you urban miles! (and heavy foot when i can open up for like 2mins)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
going..going..gone said:
refuelled yesterday on the way home from work..... 59.3l @ 375m.

never again *twitch*
How long did you drive it on zero miles?
The best I did was put in 61.5 litres once, an yes I was crapping myself making it to the petrol station.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ajayp said:
going..going..gone said:
refuelled yesterday on the way home from work..... 59.3l @ 375m.

never again *twitch*
How long did you drive it on zero miles?
The best I did was put in 61.5 litres once, an yes I was crapping myself making it to the petrol station.
I think i did around 8 miles on 0, I know I had roughly 20 miles left but still, seeing 375 on the odometer didn't make me confident on residual fuel :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,416 Posts
You only get 375 miles from 60l? I'd never be away from the pumps!

I routinely get 650-680 on a tankful (about 55l) which is usually in the high 50's MPG. As I do about 750 miles per week on average, I really do need the diesel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you're trying to make a point, I fail to see the point

my mates ford bang bus diesel gets over 800 miles on a 60l tank compared to your measly 680, I still fail to see your point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,502 Posts
When I first test drove a Mark 1 TT for the day, the fuel light came on and about five miles later she ran out of juice. The salesman had to come out with a can of juice - how embarrassing!!!! :lol: :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,416 Posts
It's amazing how touchy the gas guzzler drivers get when we Transit van drivers point out how little we need to fill up in comparison.

My point is, I have fundamentally the same vehicle, it just goes nearly twice as far on a tankful of fuel. Yes, yours will potentially reach a given speed faster but for purely economic reasons I have to forego 1-2 seconds of my lifetime to reach 60mph and in day to day driving I suspect the difference is negligible. And for purely economic reasons mine gets filled up at ASDA because ASDA is cheapest and I even carry 10l of fuel in a big black can to get me to the next ASDA if I forget. I don't need 98RON fuel to get full performance from mine.

And yes, mine is louder at idle, but that's as loud as it gets. At anything over 50mph mine is quieter in the cabin because diesels don't get very much louder as they rev faster. It doesn't matter that it sounds like a tractor at idle because I can't hear it over the road noise at anything over 30mph.

To give you some peace of mind, the fuel gauge is calibrated to zero with 5l of fuel in the tank, so you probably could have gone another 20 miles or so, but if you're nervy about these things, get a diesel because you could have gone another 250-300 miles. that was my point, and apparently I made it badly, and I apologise for that.

I'm consistently in favour of buying the petrol engine if you don't do big miles, but having the choice of diesel means I can have my cake and eat it. I can have a car that's as economical and reliable to run over over big mileages as a Golf, but that looks and drives like a quattro TT.

Now lighten up and go and accelerate hard or something otherwise as noisy;) I have to drive from Norfolk to Manchester:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
wja96 said:
It's amazing how touchy some of the gas guzzler drivers get when we Transit van drivers point out how little we need to fill up in comparison.
Fixed for you. I couldn't care less about how thirsty my TT is as I live close to work and don't do that many miles. Shame they're mostly urband but hey.. i still go n enjoy it now n again on the open roads like I'm sure you do with your TDI. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
going..going..gone said:
refuelled yesterday on the way home from work..... 59.3l @ 375m.

never again *twitch*
That's pretty good mileage you've got! Best I've got from my TTS is 380 to a tank but that's 100% motorway miles. Urban is normally around 250 max.

I have to agree if you do big miles the diesel does seem to be the better choice. However, personal opinion this but if I do big miles I won't bother buying a TT, especially a convertible one ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,416 Posts
I respect your opinion hope88, however the diesel TT is a stupendous long-distance cruiser. I've done a coupe of hundred miles in a 2.0 petrol and I did find the engine noise intrusive after the diesel, but it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I have other cars for other things, like carrying big stuff about, but the TT is a great place to spend several hours whether they be A-road, B-road, Motorway or Autobahn. 99.9% of the time I'm the only one in it, so why buy something roomy in the back? And my customers generally don't see the TT as a negative car, like if I turned up in an SLK or a Boxster (been there, done that). Most of them know it's a Golf TDi in a dress, and they don't see it as a sign I'm making too much money out of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
wja96 said:
I respect your opinion hope88, however the diesel TT is a stupendous long-distance cruiser. I've done a coupe of hundred miles in a 2.0 petrol and I did find the engine noise intrusive after the diesel, but it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I have other cars for other things, like carrying big stuff about, but the TT is a great place to spend several hours whether they be A-road, B-road, Motorway or Autobahn. 99.9% of the time I'm the only one in it, so why buy something roomy in the back? And my customers generally don't see the TT as a negative car, like if I turned up in an SLK or a Boxster (been there, done that). Most of them know it's a Golf TDi in a dress, and they don't see it as a sign I'm making too much money out of them.
The main point of buying a car is to satisfy yourself and not other people's opinion so as long as you are happy mate! I am sure the diesel TT is a nice cruiser as I've seen quite a lot of them around when I'm on motorway jaunts.

I have nothing against the diesel TT by the way :p It's just my personal opinion that if I were to do mega motorway miles I would go for other cars (the 535d for example or the new Jag). I am lucky enough to do short commuting hence why I can afford running the car I have now :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Just returned from a 1600 mile roundtrip over the weekend, according to DIS averaged 33.2 MPG and 61MPH, lots of time spent in excess of 120MPH, thats when it starts to drink, but still frustrating when you seem to go everywhere flat out, make a simple wrong turn off, and end up an hour later overtaking the same fooking caravan plodding along at 65MPH :?
Was seeing a range of about 350 before needing to fill up.

Hare and Tortoise springs to mind!

12 Hours a day in the TT, not a bad place to spend your time, nice little continental cruiser.

Downside is that German V Power is £1.52 a litre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
You can't beat a diesel for economy but lets not forget how horrendously complicated they are and something like your fuel pump self destructs and ruins your injectors along the way the bill will be about as much as you can get a mk1 TT for. So you really need to do a lot of miles in a year for it to be worth the risk IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
hope88 said:
Urban is normally around 250 max.
Wish my S4 was doing that sort of miles :lol:

Get about 90 miles to £30 of VPower/Tesco 99, and thats without stomping on the loud pedal.

Just wish my TDI TT would show up, then have the best of both worlds :D (yes I know I've done it the wrong way round, sports car with diesel, estate car with 2.7 V6, but fudge it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,416 Posts
TT-TOM said:
You can't beat a diesel for economy but lets not forget how horrendously complicated they are and something like your fuel pump self destructs and ruins your injectors along the way the bill will be about as much as you can get a mk1 TT for. So you really need to do a lot of miles in a year for it to be worth the risk IMO
I'm not aware that fuel pump failure is an issue on the CR170 engine. There was a spate of CR140 fuel pump failures in 2009 and early 2010 but I don't think it's been an issue for some time on the CR140 and VAG fixed all the affected cars under warranty. Certainly, compared to the S-tronic gearbox, it's a paragon of reliability, never mind the level of difference in complexity. Mine has just dropped out of the original warranty at 28 months old (60,000 miles) and I've bought the next year of warranty from Audi for the rest of the car as the engine isn't covered because of the remap.

TDis have some of the best residuals of any TT, partly because the are pretty bullet-proof engine-wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Ecosse said:
hope88 said:
Urban is normally around 250 max.
Wish my S4 was doing that sort of miles :lol:

Get about 90 miles to £30 of VPower/Tesco 99, and thats without stomping on the loud pedal.

Just wish my TDI TT would show up, then have the best of both worlds :D (yes I know I've done it the wrong way round, sports car with diesel, estate car with 2.7 V6, but fudge it)
Blimey I know the V10 RS6 are thirsty (10-11 mpg) but didn't realise the S4 is that thirsty too! Must be tuned surely? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,502 Posts
Whilst nothing significant in UK terms, my 1.8 TFSI has just returned 180 miles out of exactly half a tank of fuel. I had hoped for a litlle more but considering my driving is pretty much constantly urban I guess that's not all that bad?? :? Looking on the bright side, my Mark 1 3.2V6 returned approx 240 miles to the tank! Anyone know if the fuel tank was bigger in the Mark 1 3.2V6?? :?:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top