Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, as the title says, I need to trim some 4mm thick steel...

I bought a small TV for the kitchen plus a wall mount for it but it won't fit without me trimming some of the backplate off. The goddam TV has a moulding in the back panel that prevents the screw holes from lining up... :roll:

So what's the best tool for trimming the backplate down? Was gonna use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade and then thought about a cheap Dremel. Angle grinder is overkill I think! :lol:

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi Rich, Depends how much requires trimming, how about a grinding wheel in an electric drill.
If lots, use a hack saw & finish off with grinding wheel.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You can get some thin (1mm) slitting disks for an angle grinder which are quite precise. A dremel with a cutting tool will do the job though as would a jigsaw. It all depends what tools you already have.

If you don't have any power tools just use a hacksaw as Hoggy suggested and tidy up the edges with a file.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps. i have an ancient Black and Decker jigsaw from the days when I used to fiddle with wood. You gotta love working with wood. Smells good! :p

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Angle grider mate then a file . If you don't have one use the jig and a file. Why ot take the bracket back though and buy the right one mate and not bother . If you ate have to cut down the bracket you haven't brought he right one bud.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Done exactly the same job Rich , bought a white Samsung tv for the kitchen then a wall bracket which is black , you could see the black bracket just above the tv :? :?

I used an angle grinder to cut around 8mm off the top edge of the bracket , used a file to tidy , not perfect but you cant see it behind the tv :D

Good luck with it :)

Mark

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, but you know what? I slept on it and then awoke with a Eureka moment... :eek:

I drilled a new set of holes so the bracket would fit and amazingly I was so good at it they all lined up perfectly and the TV is level on the wall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again though! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts