Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.how easy is it to upgrade the stereo in the TT as i have noticed the dash displays what track your on will changing it affect it in any way?..............

2.I have sat nav built into my TT it is CD based can i upgrade it to one that takes DVD so i can drive to Portugal or do i need to upgrade the whole thing to something more portable? (i know i can drive to Portugal with the CD version but i would rather have one disc than swapping them all the time)
Many thanks for all and any help that you may give and thank you for your time in reading this

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Darth TT said:
1.how easy is it to upgrade the stereo in the TT as i have noticed the dash displays what track your on will changing it affect it in any way?..............
If you upgrade to an after market kit you lose this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hark said:
Darth TT said:
If you upgrade to an after market kit you lose this.
Thank you very much.

Does anyone know about the sat nav? did audi do a better version or should i just get an after market jobbie?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I don't know much about the OEM audi sat nav, but in general OEM equipment isn't usually as good as after market kit.

If you are going to upgrade then getting a double din, all in one unit with ipod integration and blue tooth phone would be your best bet.

Kenwood 7200 is what I have just put in my 911, took out a Pioneer HD3 (don't need the 10Gb of music storage on the HD, so was a waste in my car - good for someone who doesn't have an iPod though).

Navigation is better on the Pioneer than the Kenwood (IMO), both have various European maps included. iPod integration is better on the Kenwood (IMO) which is why I swapped them over!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
elrao said:
I don't know much about the OEM audi sat nav, but in general OEM equipment isn't usually as good as after market kit.

If you are going to upgrade then getting a double din, all in one unit with ipod integration and blue tooth phone would be your best bet.

Kenwood 7200 is what I have just put in my 911, took out a Pioneer HD3 (don't need the 10Gb of music storage on the HD, so was a waste in my car - good for someone who doesn't have an iPod though).

Navigation is better on the Pioneer than the Kenwood (IMO), both have various European maps included. iPod integration is better on the Kenwood (IMO) which is why I swapped them over!
Thank you for your help kind sir, i bid you good day.

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
Darth TT said:
elrao said:

The TT only has a single din fittment for the head unit so you will need big mods to the dash to fit a double din unit

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Darth TT said:
elrao said:

The TT only has a single din fittment for the head unit so you will need big mods to the dash to fit a double din unit
Even with the factory fit Sat Nav?

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
elrao said:
YELLOW_TT said:
Darth TT said:
elrao said:

Yes the controls are in the center consol and the DIS gives the direction arrows

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YELLOW_TT said:
elrao said:
YELLOW_TT said:
Darth TT said:
elrao said:

Yes the controls are in the center consol and the DIS gives the direction arrows
He's right you know. so single din sat nav any suggestions? Or should i just get a separate was looking at the Sony NV-U93T

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I thought I had seen people with a "larger than single DIN" screen in a Mk1 TT - must have been a conversion?!

Pioneer do some good flip out screen units, but DVD based sat nav, not hard disk. They aren't cheap though.

You might be better off just buying a cheap second hand TomTom and using it for this type of trip when you are going overseas.

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
With most of the pop out screen type you cannot close the radio cover flap this might not ba a problem to you just letting you know :)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Darth TT said:
OK thanks for all the help i'll just get a portable one me thinks.
The way technoloy is always improving and how cheap portable SatNavs are, it doesn't seem worth all the
aggro and cost involved in fitting a double din system.
And you lose the lovely TT flap. :cry:
When mine is out of date I can just change it and it will still have paid for itself. :D
John.

·
Registered
226 Posts
just picking up an earlier discussion on the dashpod display ... if you use a suitable Alpine system then that connects to dash display - although I can't give any definitive details on the quality of the information (.e.g does it just say iPOD or does it include track number?) :?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
O5prey said:
just picking up an earlier discussion on the dashpod display ... if you use a suitable Alpine system then that connects to dash display - although I can't give any definitive details on the quality of the information (.e.g does it just say iPOD or does it include track number?) :?
Don't think you can get an Alpine that displays info on the DIS.
Even if it could it certainly wouldn't display it the way the Alpine X-1000 that I have does. 8)
That's a real iPod display. It makes having any DIS display pointless.
John.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
GEM said:
O5prey said:
Even if it could it certainly wouldn't display it the way the Alpine X-1000 that I have does. 8)
John.
Does the flap close over this,caus it looks cool :p

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
southjj said:
GEM said:
O5prey said:
John.
Does the flap close over this,caus it looks cool :p
Yes the flap closes. 8)
Couple of members said they had problems but it's just a matter of sitting it far enough back in the recess.
Other members have this unit and they're flaps close as well.
Had all my stuff fitted by an ICE place and they had no problem with the fitting or linking to the Bose.
You need a couple of end pieces to fill the gap either side of the X-1000.
It really is superb looking in the dark, especially if you have the OSIR Orbit Gear surround, as you can change the display to match the rest of the TTs lighting. :eek:
Also has a connection for USB memory stick as well.
With your iPod in the glovebox holding thousands of tracks it does away with using the silly CD changer fitted in the back of the Coupe, thank goodness.
And it's cheap for what you get. Well worth the money.
John.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
E said:
Gem,
Whereabouts did you get your install done, and what sort of price?
E
E, you have a PM.
John.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.