Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting read...anyone care to comment on this copy and paste?

Side Mount Intercoolers (vs Front Mount Intercoolers)
Efficiency. Capacity. Air Flow

As the act of compressing the intake charge creates heat, and the key to engine performance is a cool intake air temperature, the importance of effective intercooling is paramount. Also, because the close proximity of the neighboring cylinders makes even a stock VW VR6 a rather hot running engine, the importance of maximizing cooling efficiency is even more important.

It is often assumed that a Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) is superior to a Side Mount Intercooler (SMIC) but this is not necessarily the case.

First and foremost, using SMICs will not obstruct the flow of air through the radiator. While a FMIC may do a good job of properly cooling the boost intake charge, however this occurs at the expense of restricting cool air flow through the radiator, and is therefore counter productive.
Secondly, while it is true that OEM SMIC have a smaller core volumetric capacity when compared to a typical FMIC, when used in a dual mount configuration (as on HPA’s higher output turbo systems), the total capacity is increased twofold.

Example:
Stock GTi 1.8T intercooler: 3.57L / 218 in3
Competitor’s FMIC 5.07L or 309.4 in3
Dual Stock GTi 1.8T intercooler: 7.14L / 436 in3
Thirdly, the large amount of piping required for a FMIC (particularly when paired with a factory intake manifold) causes a slowing in spool up time, equivalent to 300 to 500 rpm lag behind a single SMIC.

Joe

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Sorry to (semi) hijack the thread. But I too have been thinking about this for some time, ie if it is really worthwhile to 'upgrade' to FMIC. In my case, I currently have a stage 1 remap, but in the future I'm planning to upgrade the exhaust and cat, revised remap - and maybe have a K04 hybrid turbo fitted. Not sure about the last bit yet, I want to see a few more reports on them. Anyway, my driving style; I don't do track days or really, any form of continuous fast, hard driving. I like to have the power and acceleration to overtake quickly and safely. That's all; an occasional turn of speed. Given that requirement, I reckon - and even more so after reading here - that I wouldn't really reap much, if any, benefit from changing to a FMIC. Agreed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.