Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a week off work and decied to get a simple job done which needed sorting out. I had painted my throttle body and the two brackets holding the charge pipe in place about 6 months back in a matt back finish. For some reason this paint has now all flaked off and it was making the engine bay look a mess. So...

Monday morning, took the brackets and the throttle body off the car and wire brushed to remove all the old paint. I then noticed a load of black grease on my drivers side alloy, bearing in mind I had had the CV boot replaced on this corner a week or so before, basically the CV boot had popped off and was leaking already. Rang up about this and was told to pop over the next day to have it sorted out. Problem was I'd not had time to paint the parts I'd just stripped and let them dry and refit before taking the car the next day to have the CV boot fixed. Decided to just refit the parts and paint them later in the week. No issues with refitting, all done and car running fine.

Tuesday morning, went to have the CV Boot fixed, went for a test drive and all seemed fine. But then on the way back I put my foot down and found I had no turbo at all, just totally flat. Pulled over and restarted and allwas fine again, ten minutes later snd engine management light came on, car still running fine so carried on 15 minutes to home.

Wednesday morning, vag com scan: "Pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve", and "Fuel trim Bank 1: system too lean" (or words similar). Spoke with a couple of people about this and after a quick poke around two things were decided. 1) there is a lot of oil and crap on the pipes under the inlet manifold which could well be a boost leak in that area, and 2) when I had the inlet manifold powder coated, the machined surface which meets the throttle body was actually covered in powder coat, and at the time I just stuck a new gasket on it and thought nothing of it (oops!) So I think that removing and refitting the throttle body had shafted the seal.

So either a leaking throttle body seal, or a vaccuum leak is causing a lot more air into the engine, causing both the codes on vagcom and throwing the car into limp mode. So I ordered the new breather pipes from Forge (set of 3), a new t piece and valve which sits below the forge ones, and a new gasket for the throttle body.

Thursday, managed to spend all day painting the throttle body and charge pipe brackets.

Friday evening, pick up new parts, and the Forge ones had also arrived.

Saturday morning, ready to tackle it all... So I removed the throttle body and managed to scrape all the powder coat off the joining surface, very wide chissel used to make sure the surface was level still and not take any chunks of metal off. Pretty good job done there I think. So carried onto with removing the pipework under the inlet manifold until I got to the lowest part. This lower pipe is held in with a u clip which came out fine, but the pipe itself was a lot tighter. It finally came out, in pieces! This particular pipe I did not have a replacement for, nor did any of the 7 Audi dealers around me. Basically I couldn't refit it and I couldn't make any more progress without a new one.

So, basically I'm now waiting till Tuesday for more parts, when I can hopefully get it all back together and see if it runs any better.

Couple of interesting points I've found along the way:

Firstly, a boost leak I didn't know I had... This is the S bend replaced by one of the 3 Forge breather pipes. Also the pic below shows the T piece which houses a one way valvle which is also broken and allowing some air back through it. Thos eI have replacement for also.

The offending broken pipe:

Which is in the top middle of this picture, pretty much every other part on this picture is being replaced and I have waiting to be fitted:

The throttle body all painted up in a matt black enamel paint:

Charge pipe bracket painted, also with new chrome capped nuts:

Lastly, I have a very strange hole on what I think is the housing for the gearbox. I can see through a 1" hole to what looks like a cog of some sort. I'm not sure if this should have some sort of cover or plug in it, any thoughts? It's right in the centre of this pic:

Which close up looks like:

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
The cog is the edge of the flywheel/clutch assembly and what the starter motor engages to start the engine.

The inspection hole ( for old school timing strobes and timing setting) should have a rubber bung in it to stop dirt getting into it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yep, a missing inspection hole plug. I originally found mine rattling around the undertray.

part No. visible

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that! I've got one of those in the drawer at home, found it somewhere a long time back, way before the gearbox was replaced tho. Least I have one to put back in :)

Nick

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I'm liking the painted throttle body/inlet manifold/charge pipe. Got meself some nitromors to attack my charge pipe with, a stack of 'wet or dry' and a large jar of elbow grease - we'll see how it comes up.

Quickie for you. On the pic of your inlet manifold, on the turbo-to-manifold hose there's a black band with a little cable-holding bulge. It's just to the right of the Jubilee clip. I think I know what it's for, just wondered where you got it? I have a little zip tie holding my little cable on, but that looks a little nicer. Where did you get it from?

Cheers,

Mondo
PS. Sorry for the hi-jack... :oops:

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mondo said:
I'm liking the painted throttle body/inlet manifold/charge pipe. Got meself some nitromors to attack my charge pipe with, a stack of 'wet or dry' and a large jar of elbow grease - we'll see how it comes up.

Quickie for you. On the pic of your inlet manifold, on the turbo-to-manifold hose there's a black band with a little cable-holding bulge. It's just to the right of the Jubilee clip. I think I know what it's for, just wondered where you got it? I have a little zip tie holding my little cable on, but that looks a little nicer. Where did you get it from?

Cheers,

Mondo
PS. Sorry for the hi-jack... :oops:
That cable clip was fitted from factory to hold some of the wires lower down on the OEM hose. I now use it higher up to hold the vaccum pipe from the DV now it's relocated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
you took of the charge pipe and inlet to paint them blue - or was this professionally done? that lloks awesome - lets get a picture of the full engine bay - bet that looks sweet.

also what paint did you use for the throttle body ?

nice job :)

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ausTT said:
you took of the charge pipe and inlet to paint them blue - or was this professionally done? that lloks awesome - lets get a picture of the full engine bay - bet that looks sweet.

also what paint did you use for the throttle body ?

nice job :)
They were removed and done for me. Shot blast and then powdercoated the nearest colour I could to match the body paint colour.

The throttle body and brackets were done last year with Very High Temp matt black paint, which is what had flaked off. They have now been done with Halfords Matt Black Enamel paint with their adhesion encancer and primer first.

Nick

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
My god Nick, your engine bay puts mine to shame...

I haven't cleaned my car for over 6 months... :oops:

Cheers

Rich :p

·
Registered
494 Posts
beautifully clean 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.