Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The interior light on my wifes 2002 180 Quattro has started coming on occasionally when driving and won't go off unless I switch the rocker switch to 'off permanently'. If i switch the engine off and leave it for a while it goes back to normal.

This has now happened three times in the last week - there are no other symptoms, i.e.windows etc still function correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas, I tried searching first but didn't have much luck [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Hopefully someone can help.....as you'll see, this is my first post, have just joined today - as I have just bough the car for my wife.....

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
T3RBO said:
Mine used to do that when I first got it, and turned out it was a loose connection with the plug at the back of the interior light unit
I hear what you say, but I don't understand how a loose connection can make a light come 'on', when it's not even switched 'on'? A break in a connection (ie a loose connection) can make something intermittently go 'off', yes. Do you see what I mean?

I've had the same fault for over two years. I've just had a new door module fitted (at great expense) that we thought should have cured the problem, but the light came on again a day or so later, so I had to use the rocker switch to turn it permanently off in case it didn't go off when leaving the car, and perhaps drain the battery. Since, all ok again. Frustrating!

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
Mine was staying on once it had been activated via door open, and occasionally just randomly came on whilst driving. I removed the unit, cleaned the contacts and plug, then fitted it back together whilst slightly adjusting the plug to be more rigid. Had no fault with it since so maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
T3RBO said:
Mine was staying on once it had been activated via door open, and occasionally just randomly came on whilst driving. I removed the unit, cleaned the contacts and plug, then fitted it back together whilst slightly adjusting the plug to be more rigid. Had no fault with it since so maybe I was just lucky.
When you say "removed the unit" is this the door module that I have had fitted new?

·
Registered
14 Posts
being an auto electrician the first place i would check would be the door contacts/switches. these usually work on a switched earth connection so a build up of corrosion can make the contact. i would clean these first, regards steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.