Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, periodically my electrics in my driver's door just stop working, it's like the rest of the car forgets it exists. Everything just stops, the interior lights don't come on when the door is open, the indicator in the door mirror doesn't work, the boot switch in the door, the fuel flap switch, everything. Then it just randomly starts working and just as randomly, it will stop again, it has been doing this for a while now, but it wasn't a big deal since I could open the door with the key in the lock and the boot opens from the remote and the filler flap has a manual release so no problem, except this time it stopped working when I took it for an MOT, so with the door indicator not working it won't pass.
The garage spent about an hour trying to find the loose connection they think causes it with no joy, so they say I can leave it with them to try and find the fault, but I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem and knew an easy fix?
I can't really afford to pay for an unspecified amount of labour while they try and find the fault, especially as after all that, it still has to pass an MOT, which might well cost even more (it is a '12 model and in fairly good condition so I hope not, but it might of course).

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,368 Posts
Hi, Check the cables in the door hinge rubber bellows for damaged insulation/poor connections.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
1,901 Posts
There is a high probability that the wiring that runs through the door bellows is damaged.

The wiring bundle flexes at that point, and over time wires can break. Opening / closing the door can cause a broken wire to intermittently connect / disconnect as the bundle moves

Unfortunate a visual inspection won't necessarily reveal the problem. You may have to put an ohm meter on both sides of each wire and flex the bundle while looking for a change in resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts