Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered some parts from a US retailer who does have a distributor here in the UK. Having lots of american friends, some who are coming over next week for my wedding, I ordered the parts to be delivered to a US address and paid by credit card (so payment to them was in $), card is registered to me here in the UK.

I checked my credit card statement and they have added a $60 "International Buyer" charge onto my bill! I have asked them what this charge is for, they say to avoid the charge then buy from their UK distributor (at inflated prices), no other explanation yet!

How can they justify this charge, it costs them no more to process and ship an order to a US address just because I currently live in the UK! It is nothing more than a Scam to try to get more money from us!

If I had known about the charge (which is nearly 10% of the value of the order) then I would have transferred money to my US broker account and paid out of that (and probably got a better FX rate than my Master Card) or even sent money to my friend by Paypal, paid the 3-4% fee and have him order it for me from his own account!

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Can it even be legal, surely it is discrimination, they are charging overseas buyers higher rates but providing no additional service to justify the charge?

I ordered from them before and no doubt got stung then too, but the order was a lot bigger and I didn't notice the extra $60, I just thought the express shipping had cost me a fortune!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know if there is a US version of trading standards?

I basically got told to stuff it when I complained, I should have ordered from the UK website (and paid 50% more!!). I am still waiting for them to justify what service I received for my $60 (well $120 as I have been stung twice now, shame on me for not noticing the first time!).

Company is Flatlander Racing / Importperformanceparts.net - great prices, but if you are going to order anything, beware of the hidden charges!!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is the company adding the charge, or is it the credit card company? If it is the company/vendor, just refute the charge through the CC company, and tell the vendor to "stuff it". You don't agree to the charge, don't pay it!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a $60 "handling" charge which they only add to orders for international customers, not to US customers. Basically I could order parts in my name and have them delivered to any given US address and would be charged, if a US resident ordered the same parts and had them delivered to the same address they wouldn't!

I am sure that can't be legal!?

Trying to find a US version of trading standards, found the "Better Business Bureua", but they seem to have the power of a wet fish! Found that Flatlander has had two other complaints against them in the past 36 months, the "BBB" have written to them about it and they have just ignored the complaints.

I need to find someone in the US with some power!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't a separate charge, it is combined in the whole payment. Also their website does say (if you scour through the international buyer order pages) that they make this charge.

I need to contest with them that the charge is "illegal" if possible, I am not sure the CC company would do that for me as the co. would claim they publish details of the charge in their T&C's etc. and so I agreed to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.