Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to gauge current opinion on good replacement headphones for the iPod. I've some Sony's that worked well with an iRiver player but they don't match well with the iPod. I'm currently using the premium headphones from a Zune, which sound good but don't have a great in-ear fitment. Someone's suggested the Shure E2C's and they seem reasonably priced.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Personally I'm a fan of the Sony MDR EX71. They are a bragain for the quality. I have them with the Ipod 5G. They are spot on. Good mid and base and very clear high end with no crackle. When I had my ipod synced with a PC and Itunes it sounded crackly and I thought it was the headphones. Now exactly the same files synced with mac and it is perfect.

I did a test and reverted the player, and the crackle came back. I also noticed that the 'range' of frequencies seemed to be cut when playing back from a PC sync.

It is purely my experiance but I wonder if Apple have been cheeky and do something when it transfers the files on a windows machine. We are talking a negligible change, but it is definately better from a Mac sync.

Anyway, my advice is make sure it is not the quality of the file on the Ipod before you rule out any headphones.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the Sony MDR EX71's and agree, quality sound. I'm not sure if it's an impedance thing but on the iRiver no issues with volume range. However on the Zune & iPod I can max the volume and still the Sony's aren't that loud. The Zune & Apple earphones will fo much louder.

Noticed the Shure E2C's are EOL so have been looking at the SE210's.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
guess it really depends if you prefer in ear plugs or open? I've been using Sennheiser PX-100s with my ipod and they are great. Really good sound, fold up nice and safe in a hard case. Cheap from www.play.com

·
Registered
752 Posts
whirlypig said:
I've got the Sony MDR EX71's and agree, quality sound. I'm not sure if it's an impedance thing but on the iRiver no issues with volume range. However on the Zune & iPod I can max the volume and still the Sony's aren't that loud. The Zune & Apple earphones will fo much louder.

you probably already know this, but in the Ipods setting you can adjust the maximum volume that is allowed. it is set less than max by default I believe. Also, the version of the software you have on the ipod makes a diffenece. The latest update I got on my ipod (1.3 I think) changed the standard EQ settings and also adjusted the max volume limit a little higher.

With flat EQ, my 5g ipod now has enough power to overdrive my MDR EX71s. I'm surprised yours is really quiet, think it is more than just the headphones.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lock_Stock said:
whirlypig said:

you probably already know this, but in the Ipods setting you can adjust the maximum volume that is allowed. it is set less than max by default I believe. Also, the version of the software you have on the ipod makes a diffenece. The latest update I got on my ipod (1.3 I think) changed the standard EQ settings and also adjusted the max volume limit a little higher.

With flat EQ, my 5g ipod now has enough power to overdrive my MDR EX71s. I'm surprised yours is really quiet, think it is more than just the headphones.
I didn't know the max volume could be tweaked, it is now though :oops:
I'm new to the iPod world, still battling with iTunes, argghhh!!! I may still invest in the Shure phones and pass the Sony's onto my partner. Can you believe the MDR-EX71's are now going for £10-£15, a bargain :eek:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the new BOSE on ear headphones with noise cancelling. They are a comfortable fit and come with jack/fitment to fit Airplane so handy instead of having to use crap cheap ones on flight, just don't expect much from the noise cancelling, although it is present it's not that effective. :)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
p1tse said:
bet the bose ones aren't cheap though
I think the in ear ones are about £100 I never found them comfortable but the Shure SE210 that I now have are much much better and I think you can get them for about £80 in the UK. The on ear ones are about £200...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Ive had these Shure E4c`s for about a year now and they are BRILLIANT :!: :!:

I did A LOT of research before i bought them, and can honestly say they are worth ever penny :D

Read the 'cnet' revues, they mostly say what i found. Initially i was a little underwhelmed but that was because i didn't "burn them in"....basically it means leaving them plugged in and playing for a few days (i know it sounds crazy)....but it works.

They reveal things in tracks that you didn't realise were there before. Their in my ears for about 3hours a day.

So i guess it depends on what you want from your earphones?.....

I think their the best [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Agree with qooqiiu - the Shures are by far the best. I've had Sennheisers, Bose, B&O etc with and without noise cancelling but the last 3 sets have all been Shures because they simply work and produce excellent sound. They're not cheap, but worth every penny. :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
qooqiiu said:
Ive had these Shure E4c`s for about a year now and they are BRILLIANT :!: :!:

I did A LOT of research before i bought them, and can honestly say they are worth ever penny :D

Read the 'cnet' revues, they mostly say what i found. Initially i was a little underwhelmed but that was because i didn't "burn them in"....basically it means leaving them plugged in and playing for a few days (i know it sounds crazy)....but it works.

They reveal things in tracks that you didn't realise were there before. Their in my ears for about 3hours a day.

So i guess it depends on what you want from your earphones?.....

I think their the best [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
3 hours a day??!!! :eek: What's that - the daily commute?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
qooqiiu said:
WozzaTT said:
3 hours a day??!!! :eek: What's that - the daily commute?
God no! :lol:

Its mainly to block out the constant football talk at work :wink:
Oh I see! Wish I could listen to music at work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.