Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wipers are parked, they are tucked under the edge of the bonnet and out of sight, as I expect they should be. However, I put them on intermittent wipe today (I have only had the car for a week - it's a 2007 V6) and the passenger side wiper drew my attention as it made a squeak/judder. On the downward/return path, it kept making a noise at the bottom off it's range, however whilst the drivers side wiper moved down and out of sight, the passenger one stopped at the bottom of the windscreenn, with pretty much the whole wiper arm still showing. Is this how they all work? I am not sure if it should move all the way down, so it is tucked 'behind' the bonnet, before it makes the upward movement again.

I only used the wipers once before, a few days ago, but can't remember if it did the same then or not... and had music on loud so didn't hear any squeal/judder (this could be the cleaning chemicals from the local jet wash place - yeah I know,not had chance to buy any real 'detailing' products yet!).

Both wipers returned to their 'nicely tucked behind the bonnet line' position once I switched them off and parked up. So i don't know if this is part of their design or I have a problem I need to solve.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm guessing your 2007 is the same as my 2010 in terms of function - they don't do back into their sleeping place until either you turn them off, or if you have auto wipers, they decide it's dry enough to turn off. So, mine will come on when it's wet but not go right back down until it stops raining (or I turn the engine off) and when they go back 'home' they make a gentle clunking sound.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
It sounds completely normal. Except for the sqealing, that could be lots of things, but they should all be easy to fix. I would start off with trying to clean the windscreen and the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't work then replace the wiper blade.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Wipers will move silky smooth again after applying graphite powder on the strip that does the actual wiping. Check out new wipers: they all have graphite on them. Lubrication without smearing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I've only had the car for a week, it's my first TT (Audi even) and I absolutely love it, but there's various little 'quirks' like this that have puzzled me a bit...

The forum is great BTW!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chestnutree said:
As long as the passenger side also returns below the bonnet line after you turn the wipers/engine off, then it's the same working order as my 07 :)
Great, yes it does. I just haven't used the wipers much and the sqeel made me notice the passenger one. Then I couldn't stop staring at it and thinking 'did it do this last time!?'. I presume the squeel was due to the 'hot wax spray' I sprayed on the window few days before, at the local jet wash place. I'll give the window/wiper a clean...

·
Registered
465 Posts
TT-driver said:
Wipers will move silky smooth again after applying graphite powder on the strip that does the actual wiping. Check out new wipers: they all have graphite on them. Lubrication without smearing.
Tell us more Please

·
Registered
465 Posts
How long does it last for after application

·
Registered
194 Posts
KingMarty said:
I put them on intermittent wipe today (I have only had the car for a week - it's a 2007 V6) and the passenger side wiper drew my attention as it made a squeak/judder. On the downward/return path, it kept making a noise at the bottom off it's range
I've got a MY12 car and the passenger-side wiper makes the same irritating squeak at the bottom of the cycle when set to intermittent wipe. My girlfriend finds this hilarious (I really do not :evil: ) as her MY12 Clio, which was a fraction of the cost of the TTS, has completely silent wipers that work perfectly...

I'd be interested to try the methods suggested above before going back to Audi and either asking for new blades or asking them to check the tension on the wiper arm...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My squeek seems to have been cured my giving the windscreen a good wash with just water. It appears that if you apply wax, rain-X etc then it causes judder and squeeks...

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
KingMarty said:
My squeek seems to have been cured my giving the windscreen a good wash with just water. It appears that if you apply wax, rain-X etc then it causes judder and squeeks...
Hi, I've also found that Rainex - which is a very good product, also causes judders and squeaks so reluctantly stopped using it but don't miss it now.

I've also read that the wipers park in different positions though can't remember if it was three, to avoid wear.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
electech said:
Depends very much on the frequency you use your wipers. Most factories (Bosch, SWF, Valeo) apply graphite on their wipers and they are silky smooth only for so long... I'd say it could last a couple of weeks. They again, applying it doesn't take long and for good wiping, you'd need to keep your wipers clean anyhow. Removing splashed insects with wash and wipe is bad news for wipers... That junk has to come off the wipers in order to keep them working properly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
TT-driver said:
electech said:
Depends very much on the frequency you use your wipers. Most factories (Bosch, SWF, Valeo) apply graphite on their wipers and they are silky smooth only for so long... I'd say it could last a couple of weeks. They again, applying it doesn't take long and for good wiping, you'd need to keep your wipers clean anyhow. Removing splashed insects with wash and wipe is bad news for wipers... That junk has to come off the wipers in order to keep them working properly.
Thanks for the information, I have just ordered some graphite powder to give it a try.
Although I have fairly new wipers fitted on the car, it doesn't take long for them to start being noisy even after I have cleaned them and the screen.

·
Registered
294 Posts
electech said:
I have fairly new wipers fitted on the car, it doesn't take long for them to start being noisy even after I have cleaned them and the screen.
This is probably one of the few problems I DON'T have! Wipers are silent, after 2 years, 43k miles :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
-wizpip- said:
electech said:
I have fairly new wipers fitted on the car, it doesn't take long for them to start being noisy even after I have cleaned them and the screen.
This is probably one of the few problems I DON'T have! Wipers are silent, after 2 years, 43k miles :)
Perhaps you dont take it out in the rain :D (joke)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts