Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ogcode=dsp

Wondered if this was a good buy or if I could find better elsewhere? I do like the idea it has full leathers, BOSE, it's the colour I'm after and I've been offered a 12 months parts and labour warranty.

Thanks very much.

P.S. If it is a good deal and I go and inspect the car. What should I be looking out for?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
That looks expensive. The leather is saggy on the driver's seat (very often the case), there is no Bluetooth and no steering wheel audio controls. The ad doesn't mention any form of iPod connection, so that's probably missing as well.

The wheels are 17", not 18" and that black was the no-cost option, not the pearlescent extra-cost finish.

The only extra that adds value is sat-nav and that car doesn't have it. I've seen far better specced cars on 57 plates going for £10-£11,000 on the "for sale" forum on here. And those cars had been cherished. I'b be willing to take a substantial wager that that car is ex-lease and the first owners last name was Limited.

Really, the only thing to look out for is saggy leather. Everything else tends to be something that will happen unexpectedly eg. The windows will drop or the S-tronic will be jerky or a coil pack will fail.

If you can afford it, get one from Audi. The cars are no better really, but the warranty is good.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Shocking mate far too expensive. The only good thing is the low meilage.

I got my car 6 months ago with 69k miles, tax and mot, drl headlights, 19" alloys, fash and a folder full of receipts. And only paid £11,500 car was literally immaculate. Ok didn't have leather but who cares lol. Now you can get decent cars for between 10-12k.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wja96 said:
That looks expensive. The leather is saggy on the driver's seat (very often the case), there is no Bluetooth and no steering wheel audio controls. The ad doesn't mention any form of iPod connection, so that's probably missing as well.

The wheels are 17", not 18" and that black was the no-cost option, not the pearlescent extra-cost finish.

The only extra that adds value is sat-nav and that car doesn't have it. I've seen far better specced cars on 57 plates going for £10-£11,000 on the "for sale" forum on here. And those cars had been cherished. I'b be willing to take a substantial wager that that car is ex-lease and the first owners last name was Limited.

Really, the only thing to look out for is saggy leather. Everything else tends to be something that will happen unexpectedly eg. The windows will drop or the S-tronic will be jerky or a coil pack will fail.

If you can afford it, get one from Audi. The cars are no better really, but the warranty is good.
I'm glad I got replys before I made the deal! Thanks for that.

Is the sagging leather perhaps a sign of it being clocked? Especially if you say it's an ex lease car?

I thought the paint looked weird, I couldn't put my finger on why. I rarely use audio controls on my current wheel, so that wouldn't be a big deal, although it's always nice. Bluetooth would also be nice. It does mention i-pod dock in the description.

Could you please point me in the direction of some nice examples. I'm quite clearly hopeless at finding good examples haha. It would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basscube said:
Shocking mate far too expensive. The only good thing is the low meilage.

I got my car 6 months ago with 69k miles, tax and mot, drl headlights, 19" alloys, fash and a folder full of receipts. And only paid £11,500 car was literally immaculate. Ok didn't have leather but who cares lol. Now you can get decent cars for between 10-12k.
That would have been private though right? Not through a dealer, they are always more expensive.

Same as above, could you please point me in the direction of a few good examples. I'm looking to buy ASAP and as I said, I'm not a petrol head and have little experience in buying used cars.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
newtoaudi said:
wja96 said:

Is the sagging leather perhaps a sign of it being clocked? Especially if you say it's an ex lease car?

I thought the paint looked weird, I couldn't put my finger on why. I rarely use audio controls on my current wheel, so that wouldn't be a big deal, although it's always nice. Bluetooth would also be nice. It does mention i-pod dock in the description.

Could you please point me in the direction of some nice examples. I'm quite clearly hopeless at finding good examples haha. It would be very much appreciated.
No - the saggy seats are an issue for most, if not all, Mark2 TTs with leather seats.

Can you afford to get one from Audi? Sometimes the warranty is worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WozzaTT said:
newtoaudi said:
wja96 said:

No - the saggy seats are an issue for most, if not all, Mark2 TTs with leather seats.

Can you afford to get one from Audi? Sometimes the warranty is worth its weight in gold.
Well, my budget is £15k. Can I afford to get one from Audi? Would they offer me a better deal than their 12 month warranty?

I've looked on Lomond Audi and there's not much available. What's the advantages of buying one off of them over another dealer?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Mate, I purchased a 16K mile 08 from a Main dealer in Feb for just 1K more than that, average spec of leather, 18s, MFSW, phone/BT, Symphony etc and full approved warranty,

The BOSE is a personal preference, depends on your ears, mine have been destroyed by a lifetime of motorcycling, the stock setup sounds OK to me, I struggled to tell the difference when I test drove cars, then again a tin can probably would sound Ok to me :)

Theres loads available, just be prepared to travel, all dealers are slow at present

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Mine was from a dealer but technically it was the owners brothers car who literally kept it in a temperature controlled garage was a bit ocd with it. But atleast i know it was looked after.

Before that it was a lease car some director for tescos head office lol. :roll:

Does yours have to be black or are they any 2nd choices?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If you buy one from a main dealer you get a comprehensive 12 month warranty and full RAC cover for 12 months included in the price. You do pay for it though. The cars all get a 145 point check done on them (fairly useless in my opinion), plus you'll get 12 months MOT and they'll service it if one is due. They also make sure the mileage is genuine, check for outstanding finance etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that they always overprice them anyway - you can certainly knock them down on price and in an attempt to secure a deal you can get them to throw in a tank of fuel, the cost of transferring private plates, new mats maybe etc etc. It all helps. They will bend over backwards if they sniff you're a genuine buyer, just don't let them bend you over if you know what I mean.

Depends how quickly you need one - keep your eye on their website and as soon as one you're interested in appears pounce on it, providing it's in your area.

Or get a cheaper one from Autotrader etc but there's more risk involved there.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
What he said... and:
Know what you want
Being prepared to travel will increase your chances of securing the prize
If not entirely satisfied with what you are viewing, walk away. Your day will come.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent advice guys.

I just can't seem to find one for £15k that was as good as the one I pointed out. It did seem to have a high spec.

I do have my heart set on the BOSE, I do like my music.

It does have to be black I'm afraid. I would settle for grey if the right car came along. However black 90%, grey 10%.

I read all about the approved used on Audis website. It does seem good and I like the idea of it being genuine mileage. A lot of clockers out there these days. Especially on those PCP deals with limited yearly mileages. Leased cars always get clocked.

Anyway... The RAC thing isn't a big deal, I'm already covered. I was being offered 12 months warranty with the mentioned car also. So the only thing that seems good to me is the servicing and the gauranteed mileage. Worth it on it it's own for that I'd imagine.

I'm willing to travel within 300-350 miles for the car. I draw the line at London and beyond. I'm 20 miles south of Glasgow.

Is there anything I should be expecting my car to have when looking for it? I love those big alloys in black, they're incredibly smart looking. I also like the idea of full leather, never had leather seats in a car before and anytime I get in someone elses car who has leather, I love it.

SAT navs, Bose, bluetooth etc? What options should I be looking for that's a must if you like?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Do you want a coupe or would you consider a convertible?

Seen a couple of cheap ones

£10,995 56 plate 70k miles
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-AUDI-TT- ... 19c970b35a

£12,888 57 plate roadster 72k miles black leather satnav auto
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57reg-Audi-TT ... 1c28c36734

£12,895 56 plate black coupe red leather
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Audi-TT- ... 4d02f718f3

£13,340 57 plate coupe 37k miles 18" alloys alcantara
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Audi- ... 3f18b8bc12

£13,790 08 plate coupe 58k miles black leather & 6 months parts and labour warranty
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/08-08-Audi-TT ... 3cc92940e8

All of these are 2.0fsi turbo not sure if you would consider a 3.2v6 or tdi?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
newtoaudi said:
Excellent advice guys.

I read all about the approved used on Audis website. It does seem good and I like the idea of it being genuine mileage. A lot of clockers out there these days. Especially on those PCP deals with limited yearly mileages. Leased cars always get clocked
Do you really think that? So every company lease, hire car, personal PCP etc is clocked.....well silly me for thinking otherwise :? So half the cars in your local main dealer were bought on a PCP, and they are clocked.....perhaps best you steer clear of Audi dealers then and buy private.........much safer

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
newtoaudi said:
Excellent advice guys.

I just can't seem to find one for £15k that was as good as the one I pointed out. It did seem to have a high spec.

It does have to be black I'm afraid. I would settle for grey if the right car came along. However black 90%, grey 10%.

I read all about the approved used on Audis website. It does seem good and I like the idea of it being genuine mileage. A lot of clockers out there these days. Especially on those PCP deals with limited yearly mileages. Leased cars always get clocked.

Anyway... The RAC thing isn't a big deal, I'm already covered. I was being offered 12 months warranty with the mentioned car also. So the only thing that seems good to me is the servicing and the gauranteed mileage. Worth it on it it's own for that I'd imagine.

I'm willing to travel within 300-350 miles for the car. I draw the line at London and beyond. I'm 20 miles south of Glasgow.

Is there anything I should be expecting my car to have when looking for it? I love those big alloys in black, they're incredibly smart looking. I also like the idea of full leather, never had leather seats in a car before and anytime I get in someone elses car who has leather, I love it.

SAT navs, Bose, bluetooth etc? What options should I be looking for that's a must if you like?
To a certain extent it's peace of mind you're buying by paying through the nose at Audi. Anything on the car you're not happy with such as stone chips, interior scuffs and scratches etc they will sort out for you. On mine they also chucked in new front brake pads without me asking, even though there was plenty on the pads when I checked, and also gave it an oil service even though it had only had one 4,000 miles previously, so there can be a couple of little perks.

Re options - as previously mentioned in the thread, the satnav is the only one that will add any resale value (approx £1k) and personally was something I wanted as I was sick to death of faffing around with my Garmin stuck to the windscreen all the term. It's all personal choice really - I love 19" wheels, many will say Bose isn't all that to be honest but it's better to have than not, bluetooth phone kit is nice to have. Most cars you look at will have leather seats I guess.

For me, low mileage was top of my list then when a car came along that was in a colour I wanted and had 19" wheels, RNS-E Satnav plus, phone kit and Bose it was just a case of hammering them down as low as I could on price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Basscube said:
Do you want a coupe or would you consider a convertible?

Seen a couple of cheap ones

£10,995 56 plate 70k miles
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-AUDI-TT- ... 19c970b35a

£12,888 57 plate roadster 72k miles black leather satnav auto
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57reg-Audi-TT ... 1c28c36734

£12,895 56 plate black coupe red leather
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Audi-TT- ... 4d02f718f3

£13,340 57 plate coupe 37k miles 18" alloys alcantara
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Audi- ... 3f18b8bc12

£13,790 08 plate coupe 58k miles black leather & 6 months parts and labour warranty
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/08-08-Audi-TT ... 3cc92940e8

All of these are 2.0fsi turbo not sure if you would consider a 3.2v6 or tdi?
Has to be a 2.0. Don't do enough miles for a diesel and the 3.2 is too much on petrol.

I'd like to buy a car with less than 40k on the clock. I don't like the idea of a car having 70k miles on the clock, sort of asking for trouble if I intend to keep it a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
davek9 said:
A quick search on the Audi Approved website reveals 16 TT's roadsters or coupes under £15k in either Black or grey, nothing on there takes your fancy?
I should have mentioned. Only interested in the coupe. Scotland sees far too much rain to even consider a convertible. I didn't see the ones with no photo. I just ignored them, will look closer. Cheers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WozzaTT said:
newtoaudi said:
Excellent advice guys.

To a certain extent it's peace of mind you're buying by paying through the nose at Audi. Anything on the car you're not happy with such as stone chips, interior scuffs and scratches etc they will sort out for you. On mine they also chucked in new front brake pads without me asking, even though there was plenty on the pads when I checked, and also gave it an oil service even though it had only had one 4,000 miles previously, so there can be a couple of little perks.

Re options - as previously mentioned in the thread, the satnav is the only one that will add any resale value (approx £1k) and personally was something I wanted as I was sick to death of faffing around with my Garmin stuck to the windscreen all the term. It's all personal choice really - I love 19" wheels, many will say Bose isn't all that to be honest but it's better to have than not, bluetooth phone kit is nice to have. Most cars you look at will have leather seats I guess.

For me, low mileage was top of my list then when a car came along that was in a colour I wanted and had 19" wheels, RNS-E Satnav plus, phone kit and Bose it was just a case of hammering them down as low as I could on price.
Mileage is the main factor for myself also. I'm not terribly fussed about bluetooth. I do however love the 19" wheels. Wouldn't say no to a satnav as I do need them a lot. I would also love BOSE and leather. I could live without the rest.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts